short ribs

L

Lazy Dawg

ok you Q gurus,

Can anyone lend a brother some advice or a recipe for beef short ribs?
How lonk on the smoker and such? I know I can count on this group to give it straight and right.

ok you Q gurus,

Can anyone lend a brother some advice or a recipe for beef short ribs?
How lonk on the smoker and such? I know I can count on this group to give it straight and right.
No guru I, however...

I can't seem to get the search engine to work on the exact phrase "short ribs", and I see that the thread Arlin found seems to deal with long ribs. If you actually have "short ribs", which are about 4 inches long, with each rib cut seperately from the others, and are cut from the end of the long ribs, you might find that they cook a little differently. In my experience, they cook about an hour faster than the long ribs, and tend to benefit from foiling, where long ribs don't. The latter opinion may be due to my having fallen in love with braised short ribs years ago, and the foiling gives a little more of the braised effect.

If you have the cut of meat that has 1 to 2 inch lengths of rib embedded in a strip of meat, that some stores sell as "short ribs", but that I grew up calling flanken, I'm afraid your on your own as far as I'm concerned. I have never cooked these except as flanken.

BTW, I like putting a little BBQ sauce in the foil with the ribs when I foil them; I guess I really can't get myself away from braised.:icon_blush:

Ok Brian,
I believe them to be short ribs. They are 4-5 inches long with a flat bone. 1 &1/2 inch piece of beef on one side of the bone. What do you believe the total time should be?

Ok Brian,
I believe them to be short ribs. They are 4-5 inches long with a flat bone. 1 &1/2 inch piece of beef on one side of the bone. What do you believe the total time should be?

That's a short rib. I'd go with Bigdog's estimate on time, but I'd probably start testing them a little after three hours. Go by tenderness rather than temp.

That's a short rib. I'd go with Bigdog's estimate on time, but I'd probably start testing them a little after three hours. Go by tenderness rather than temp.

Agreed

Well?

Lazy Dawg,

How'd those short ribs come out?

Big Dog Man,
Yes, in the pan the whole time. Moist, very moist and tender!!!!
Smoke On!!!!

Back