Free Range

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The owner of the mobile home park in which I live,(yes we do have them up north too), stopped by and gave me one of his free range chickens he raises on his farm. I've never seen a chicken so farking big, thing must be 7-8#'s dressed out! Looks more like a goose or big duck. Not sure if I should smoke it or roast it, any ideas out there? This is the same guy who told me I to get rid of my outdooor kitchen which prompted me to put our home up for sale and start looking for a new house.

I've done free range birds a couple of times (bought them on accident when I went for a normal bird sale). Brined 'em, shoved beer cans up their bums, and let them have a go on the 'Dera.

In all honesty, the meat was really good, but I can't imagine making a habit of spending that much $$$ on free range meat. We've got a gourmet meat market in town that sells only free range meat and it is HIGH!!! Yeah, not exposing the fam to steroids and hormones is important to me, but spending $3-$4 per lb on shoulder when I can buy it for $1.55 all day long at Costco?

Quote:

We've got a gourmet meat market in town that sells only free range meat and it is HIGH!!!

J, where ya shoppin'?

Where ever it is cheapest!!! :D

The place I'm talking about with the free range meat is Ranchers Gourmet Meat over on 119th and Metcalf in Overland Park. I've got a couple of friends that will only buy their meat there..... We just don't invite them over when us WT fire up the 'moker and serve our common Q! :twisted:

You should just let her run around the yard and eat June bugs...

Back