• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Tri-Tip on my new OTS Maiden Cook...

jasonalan724

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
...thought it was only appropriate to do them together.

I have read on here that some guys get tri-tip with a fat cap, this is what a two pounder looked like from a Wegmans here in NorthEastPA. Didn't trim a thing, I added the Montreal Seasoning...
DSCN0372.jpg

Ten minutes a side at got me right to 140...added a few chicken sausages too.
DSCN0373.jpg

I tented it for ten minutes after i pulled it and then sliced it...

DSCN0376.jpg

I tasted great, my wife even highly approved...and that saying something.

Thanks for the help and inspiration Brethren!!!

Look's great! May I ask what your charcoal baskett is made of?

I've seen tri-tip with a fat cap on it as well. I've cooked many a tri-tip without it. This piece of meat doesn't need any more juice. The tri-tip I've seen with the fat cap was a whole $1/lb cheaper than no fat cap. It would be worth it. $2.98/lb for an exceptional piece of beef - can't beat that!

it was just some

Look's great! May I ask what your charcoal baskett is made of?

I have the Weber Side baskets, the others are just four split fire brick (4x9x1.5) arranged into the fire area i need for the tri-tip, defenitly a charchoal saver. I didn't even have to put the sausages over the coals. Just therw em on before i opened the tri-tip.

Nice job, I like the way you set up the charcoal, I am stealing that idea.

I have always used fire brick in my grills, lets you set in any combination, a few different zones, or what ever

I have 2 fire bricks now and I now think I need 2 more.The more I think about it the more I like it.I like the idea of putting the coals on the outside too for indirect.

going to do my fist but on my OTS this weekend for the SuperBowl, gonna do a Chris Lilly injection and 3Eyz Original Rub, can't wait!

going to do my fist but on my OTS this weekend for the SuperBowl, gonna do a Chris Lilly injection and 3Eyz Original Rub, can't wait!

The OTS does fine for a couple of butts. I have been using yardbird ad when i pull toss with more yardbird and Sweet baby ray Raspberry chipotle . fine eating

The OTS does fine for a couple of butts. I have been using yardbird ad when i pull toss with more yardbird and Sweet baby ray Raspberry chipotle . fine eating

I Use Plowboys Bovine Bold alot on beef and LOVE the 3Eyz on pork...it has to be my favorite two rubs, have yet to try the Yardbird, i gotta get my hands on some of that

Back