MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Rick's Tropical Delight

Thumbs up pork loin roasts & white bread braids & bananas foster !

this didn't suck

Old 05-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
qman
Babbling Farker

Is there a word in our lexicon that means "unsucks"?
You are correct, this did not "suck". It, from the pics, did the opposite. It un-sucked, big time.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

That is some of the unsuckiest food I've ever seen.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2007, 12:09 AM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Man, I love Bananas Foster, that looks great. Did you have the 'ol welding gloves on when you flashed the rum?

Hey Rick, have you gotten into the Calvados yet?? It's not just for in-between courses anymore .... and would go great with the Foster.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

That looks great. Want to know more about bananas foster.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
BBQ_MAFIA

It all looks great. How lond did the pork loin take?

The wife loves Bananas Foster. If I told her that it can only be made properly on a Big Green Egg she would probably have one at my house by the end of the week.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Man, I love Bananas Foster, that looks great. Did you have the 'ol welding gloves on when you flashed the rum?

Hey Rick, have you gotten into the Calvados yet?? It's not just for in-between courses anymore .... and would go great with the Foster.
hahahaha! now ya tell me about the welding gloves! each time i flambe', it's really exciting... last night i poured the two ounces of 151 rum in, and it started bubbling and sizzling, then POOF, flames shooting up and over and around the dome! i'm thinking "GASKET, THERMOMETER, AAAHHHHHRRGGGG, TAKE THE PHOTO!". heheh
i missed the photo. happens every time. i knew i should have had the neighbor come over and pour in the rum

i forgot about the calvados... i'll look for it this week. the neighbor brought over the bananas and rum for this dish. he just left the rum a little too early because most of it was gone by the time it was time to flambe'!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyboy View Post
That looks great. Want to know more about bananas foster.
hey thanks, mon!
i'm sure there's plenty of bananas foster recipes on the net, but the one i used last night was from mario batali in his NASCAR cookbook. mario says he learned this from emeril, so i figure it has to be good!

4 bananas, ripe, but not over ripe, sliced
1/2 stick butter
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 ounces 151 rum
vanilla ice cream

get everything (except the ice cream) together next to the grill because it goes fast.

heat a cast iron skillet over high heat till it smokes.

put butter in skillet and melt and start to brown.

add brown sugar & cinnamon and stir. it will form a caramel like sauce that bubbles and grows when you stop stirring.

add the bananas. stir to coat.

add the rum and STAND BACK!!

when the flames die down, toss the bananas to coat again. and cook about 2 minutes

spoon over ice cream.

lick the spoon and say "that is good, mon!"

Old 05-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_MAFIA View Post

The wife loves Bananas Foster. If I told her that it can only be made properly on a Big Green Egg she would probably have one at my house by the end of the week.
hahahaha! it looks like 1:50 based on the time stamp on the pix... the setup was indirect with drip pan and apple and cherry for smoke @ about 280-300 degrees. i pulled them at 145 degrees internal.

you might not be able to see this in the other photo, but i cut the 4.5 pound loin into 4 pieces so there'd be 8 coveted end pieces!!

Old 05-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
hahahaha! now ya tell me about the welding gloves! each time i flambe', it's really exciting... last night i poured the two ounces of 151 rum in, and it started bubbling and sizzling, then POOF, flames shooting up and over and around the dome! i'm thinking "GASKET, THERMOMETER, AAAHHHHHRRGGGG, TAKE THE PHOTO!". heheh
i missed the photo. happens every time. i knew i should have had the neighbor come over and pour in the rum

i forgot about the calvados... i'll look for it this week. the neighbor brought over the bananas and rum for this dish. he just left the rum a little too early because most of it was gone by the time it was time to flambe'!
You missed the picture??? Damn. A cool move is to heat your rum then put it into a LONG handle spoon, like the kind that come with your wok, move the spoon over the skillet and light the rum. Then you pour a waterfall of flaming rum over the fruit. Hey, have someone else light the rum. This way you could have a spoon in one hand, camera in the other and get some photographs. Standing up wind is recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
hey thanks, mon!
i'm sure there's plenty of bananas foster recipes on the net...

add brown sugar & cinnamon and stir. it will form a caramel like sauce that bubbles and grows when you stop stirring.

add the bananas. stir to coat.

add the rum and STAND BACK!! ...

After the caramelizing step and before adding the bananas, try adding a splash of banana liqueur it is a nice touch. Let it warm up a minute before adding the rum.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 05-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_MAFIA View Post

A man has to do what a man has to do....

Old 05-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #12
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Is there a word in our lexicon that means "unsucks"?
You are correct, this did not "suck". It, from the pics, did the opposite. It un-sucked, big time.
Yep, definetley unsucks Between Thirdeye and you, your killing me. Ya'll should be doing cover's for food mags!!!!

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
big brother smoke

Damn, that stuff looks great!