Cooking for 25 help needed....

Full Draw BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My mom asked me to cook for my Dad's 75th birthday party. About 25 people, she has asked for brisket, pulled pork, beans and potato salad. Any thoughts as to how much weight of each to cook to make sure I have enough? I know, probably a silly question for you guys that do this all the time. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You live in brisket country and are feeding an older crowd so I'd figure 4oz brisket and 2-3oz of pork per person. Baked beans made from 3 10# cans of beans doctored up, doctor them real good with onions peppers etc and ya might get by with 2 cans but I'd do 3. Potato salad made from 15lbs of potatoes should do you ok.

A #10 can of beans holds 120 ounces. After doctoring you should have 130 to 135 ounces of beans. I'd be surprised if all ate beans and then more than 4 ounces each. Based on a big 5 ounce serving you have at least 26 servings. Buy Sam's 5# potato salad. Less than $1.00 a pound up here. 5# = 20 4 ounce servings. Who wants to peel potatoes? 4 ounces brisket and 3 ounces pork each sounds right.

A #10 can of beans holds 120 ounces. After doctoring you should have 130 to 135 ounces of beans. I'd be surprised if all ate beans and then more than 4 ounces each. Based on a big 5 ounce serving you have at least 26 servings. Buy Sam's 5# potato salad. Less than $1.00 a pound up here. 5# = 20 4 ounce servings. Who wants to peel potatoes? 4 ounces brisket and 3 ounces pork each sounds right.
I would never sell a potatoe salad from a mass producer, maybe from another BBQer...
especially for only 25 people and family..Boil the potatoes first and the peels rub off....with the other sides a 5-7 pound bag should do it..

You live in brisket country and are feeding an older crowd so I'd figure 4oz brisket and 2-3oz of pork per person. Baked beans made from 3 10# cans of beans doctored up, doctor them real good with onions peppers etc and ya might get by with 2 cans but I'd do 3. Potato salad made from 15lbs of potatoes should do you ok.

Woops sorry I thought you said 75 people and I gave you figures for 75 :doh: 1 can of beans and slaw made from 5lbs of taters will get ya there!

We have been doing a red roasted potato salad with good results. Really simple, cut the tators in 1/8's(skin on), coat in olive oil and throw in the oven at 400' for about 30 minutes, or until fork tender. Really makes building large salad's much faster and easier!!

We have been doing a red roasted potato salad with good results. Really simple, cut the tators in 1/8's(skin on), coat in olive oil and throw in the oven at 400' for about 30 minutes, or until fork tender. Really makes building large salad's much faster and easier!!

This sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the tip!

Back