Charcoal storage

VanSteel

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How are you all storing your charcoal? I've always just kept my charcoal in the bags they come in, but I'm thinking I should be using a more weatherproof option. My grills and smokers are in the back yard, and don't really want to lug charcoal from the garage to the back every time I want to cook.

I know that Kingsford has a charcoal kaddy, but I don't really think it would be big enough for the larger bags of lump charcoal.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I use the kingsford caddy. It will not hold a 30lb bag of lump. I fill it up and leave the rest of the bag in the garage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I keep a few bags an wood in retired dock boxes on my patio. My main stock is on a pallet in the garage.
BhMGCQo.jpg

Leave them bagged in the garage or you're just asking for a mess. If you have a backdoor to the house leave a bag right inside the door somewhere easy to get to. This works for me but I also have 200+lbs of charcoal that I cant keep in the house.

I have a small galvanized garbage can with a lid, been outside for at least 10 years, bag minus 1/2 a chimney fits like a glove

I have a 20gallon barrel like this

Attachments

• 20-Gallon-Plastic-Food-Grade-Drum-Storage-Barrel.jpg
    20-Gallon-Plastic-Food-Grade-Drum-Storage-Barrel.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 353
I have 5 plastic trash cans from HD I've been using for years.
Most will hold 3 or 4 20lb bags. Same for wood chunks.

I use the Kingsford caddy,holds 20# bag of kingsford briqs. I keep it on the uncovered deck next to the house, never had a rain problem. The unopened bags live in the garage and shed.

I have a couple of plastic garbage bins like ebijack, one for lump and one for briqs.

Since spring is here, and summer is around the corner, humidity is a big concern for a lot of folks who live in areas where humidity is very high. Charcoal briqs in particular are like sponges, they will soak up moisture from the air. For this reason, I keep all my briqs inside the air conditioned house. If I left them in the garage in original packaging, they would be too wet to perform well. I do keep a couple bags of lump in the garage though. Where I live the average humidity for the next 8 months will be up in the high 70% range. I suppose in a place like Las Vegas, this wouldn't be a concern.

You gotta do what is best for you. For me, I keep the original bags in my garage or shed until I need them. Once I open a bag, if I don't use it all, I pour it into a large plastic bin in my shed. That keeps it the water away from it. A lot of what I get is shipped to me so I keep it stacked up and clearly write on the end of the box what it is. Depending on what type of charcoal you use, Jealous Devil's bags are plastic with a resealable top. They are good for keeping the water out and easy to recluse and use again. Happy Smokin'

I keep mine in the garage on commercial shelving that keeps them off the floor. Garage is air conditioned.

I keep mine in a deck box. Approx 24” wide x 30” deep x 48” long. It keeps a Lott of charcoal plus a tote with gloves, tools and utensils. Everything is always dry. I’ve used this for probably 5 years. Good luck.

I have a deck box similar to the one pictured on my back porch. I keep all my grill stuff in.
Bags of charcoal, torch, gloves, wood chunks, indirect ceramic plates for my primo...etc.

mocha-suncast-deck-boxes-db5000b-64_300.jpg

I keep mine in the original bags in a unheated shed. I didn't know humidity was an issue. I never seemed to have any problems, so I guess it's OK. After opening, it goes into a plastic barrel like was posted above.

I keep mine on the covered porch in a storage bench. So far so good.

Back