• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sourdough Bread

Do you proof overnight in the refrigerator or on the counter?
How long does it take to double in size when you get it in the pans?

I did the first proof at room temp, then punched it down, kneeded and split and put in pans. It was late so I put the pans in the fridge then took them out and let finish rising this morning

Heck yeah I'd eat that!

IMG_20200404_103327687_zpsvweyxpzg.jpg

I believe that's called tunneling. Several causes.
https://thebreadguide.com/large-holes/

Does it take longer to proof than if you used yeast?

Yes it does, and there's no exact time because sourdough likes to do it's own thing, I've got a batch going now, the first proof took 5 hours. Now if you're on a timetable you can cheat by adding a little yeast to the water when you're making the dough, if you do that you'll be working on more of a regular yeast time table, but still get sourdough flavor by adding the starter.

Does it take longer to proof than if you used yeast?

From what I'm reading the answer is Yes. Sometimes almost twice as long but I'm a rookie at this.

As a final statement re: my own breads, I cut into the second loaf to see if it also had tunneling, and it didn't. But it is quite dense. However, I toasted and buttered a slice and it tastes just fine.

I'll try a different recipe next time. There's nothing wrong with the one I used, the problem is the implementation by the baker - me. There's a bit of trial and error which goes into baking bread and I'll just keep trying until my loaves turn out better.

Talking with a friend that bakes bread in the Dutch oven he preheats the Dutch oven at 500 degrees for about an hour. Then puts the dough in and covers it. After 20 minutes lower oven to 475.
Worth a try?

Talking with a friend that bakes bread in the Dutch oven he preheats the Dutch oven at 500 degrees for about an hour. Then puts the dough in and covers it. After 20 minutes lower oven to 475.
Worth a try?

It seems like most commonly people do preheat the dutch oven. For me, I've found it always makes the crust super hard on the bottom...way too crusty. I have much better results putting the dough into a cold dutch oven with a very well pre-heated oven.

I also have found it SOOOOO much easier to transfer the bread from the baneton to the LID of the dutch oven and bake the bread with the dutch oven upside down rather than right side up. By turning it out onto the lid I've done a MUCH better job preserving those oh so hard-earned gas bubbles.

I was a bit ahead of the curve this year where I decided I wanted to perfect my sourdough technique this year back in November. I've been nursing my starter and baking a lot BEFORE it became necessary to bake bread if I wanted any bread at all. My personal advice for people as you start perfecting things is ditch any "recipes". Don't change things until you get your technique down.

My "recipe" for all year has been:

775g flour (200g bread, 575g AP)
600g water (~77% hydration)
16g salt (~2%)

My starter is strong. It's doing a good job. I do still add a pinch (way under a gram, just enough to give a kick in the ass) to the dough when I mix my levain. I also use way more starter than most "recipes" call for. Of my measurements above 75g each of the water & flour come from my starter.

Wow, 77 % hydration seems like a really wet dough to me. I've been baking in the 65- 70% range and having good results. I seems to me that @ 77% you are closer to ciabatta bread. My go to for one loaf is 400gms KA AP flour 240 Gms H20 160 gms ripe starter & 8gms fine sea salt. 66% hydration. I usually shape it into a batard or 2 baguettes. 450 oven on a pizza stone for 25-30 mins. I create steam in the oven by leaving an old cast iron skillet on the bottom shelf and emptying a turkey baster full of H20 into it when the bread goes in the oven. Learning to understand the dough is the hardest learning curve. Happy baking to all you "Sourdoughs".

Wow, 77 % hydration seems like a really wet dough to me. I've been baking in the 65- 70% range and having good results. I seems to me that @ 77% you are closer to ciabatta bread. My go to for one loaf is 400gms KA AP flour 240 Gms H20 160 gms ripe starter & 8gms fine sea salt. 66% hydration. I usually shape it into a batard or 2 baguettes. 450 oven on a pizza stone for 25-30 mins. I create steam in the oven by leaving an old cast iron skillet on the bottom shelf and emptying a turkey baster full of H20 into it when the bread goes in the oven. Learning to understand the dough is the hardest learning curve. Happy baking to all you "Sourdoughs".

Yes, it is a very wet dough. But in my opinion learning to work with very wet doughs is worth the effort. Both for bread and pizza crust, the higher you can push that hydration the happier I tend to be with results. I'd say 77% is probably on the low end of ciabatta, which really is more about the SHAPE of bread than the dough itself. You could certainly shape your high hydration sourdough into a ciabatta shape and call it ciabatta bread.

I've had great success with my 77% dough in both a loaf shaped banneton (my favorite) or a round banneton. Only thing I will say is that it is so wet that it will end up as a pretty wide loaf, the dough will spread out when you turn it out into your dutch oven, it's just so wet. Still it makes a nice crusty loaf. Here's the crumb from Sunday's loaf, and as you can see it's not nearly as "holey" as a typical ciabatta. I have deviated slightly from my above numbers by replacing some of the AP with spelt flour (I think 100g).

IMG_20200407_141826.jpg

Great looking bread

I wasn't trying to be critical of your bread,There is nothing wrong or right about about the % of hydration one uses. It is whatever works for you. The best bread is the one that you like. I use high hydration dough for my pizza's & ciabatta. A big part of the enjoyment in baking is working with different hydrations, flours & the various other little things that make great bread & biscuits. Learning how to react to fermentation, proofing, oven time & the countless things that can make or break a great loaf is a constant learning curve much like BBQ. We are our own worst critics. Remember " A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step," but you don't always have to follow somebody else's path.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having fun with this. But I am having better success with the sourdough discard than I did with the bread. Last night I was in the mood for pancakes this morning so pulled out a cup of starter and used it in an overnight mix for a recipe from the King Arthur Flour website.

This morning I made a TON of pancakes that were quite good. I should have halved the recipe as this made at least 24, so many are in the fridge. Too many pancakes for the two of us. If we ever get back to a point where family gatherings are again the norm, this would be a great recipe.

I also got to feed my starter and put it back in the fridge for another day.

All those breads look excellent, btw.

Yes, it is a very wet dough. But in my opinion learning to work with very wet doughs is worth the effort. Both for bread and pizza crust, the higher you can push that hydration the happier I tend to be with results. I'd say 77% is probably on the low end of ciabatta, which really is more about the SHAPE of bread than the dough itself. You could certainly shape your high hydration sourdough into a ciabatta shape and call it ciabatta bread.

I've had great success with my 77% dough in both a loaf shaped banneton (my favorite) or a round banneton. Only thing I will say is that it is so wet that it will end up as a pretty wide loaf, the dough will spread out when you turn it out into your dutch oven, it's just so wet. Still it makes a nice crusty loaf. Here's the crumb from Sunday's loaf, and as you can see it's not nearly as "holey" as a typical ciabatta. I have deviated slightly from my above numbers by replacing some of the AP with spelt flour (I think 100g).

IMG_20200407_141826.jpg

Man that's a beautiful loaf

Sourdough Sandwich Bread

I forgot to buy sliced bread at the supermarket this week, but no worry. Of course I can attempt to make my own Sourdough Sandwich bread, why not? I made Sourdough Starter to bake with, not just keep as a pet. (No, I have not named it.)

After rising for a few hours -

Two nice looking dough balls -

Shape into loaves -

Into the pans to rise -

Which they did -

Into the oven to bake and they look pretty good -

A light brushing with melted butter, they just need to cool before slicing -

OK, let's see how we did -

Yep, they look like sandwich bread. Whew! -

Toasted -

These loaves will make some nice sandwiches, grilled cheese, French toast, etc. This Sourdough thing just might catch on. :laugh:

Thanks for reading this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

Looks great Dom.

Thanks Marty.

Lunch man, did you kneed it after the first proofing.

After the initial rise in the mixer bowl (took less than 2 hours), I divided the dough into the 2 dough balls, shaping them just a bit on a lightlly floured surrface using friction to form their shapes. I then let them rest covered in plastic wrap for about 20 minutes. After that rest period I shaped the dough into a rectangle, then followed a King Arthur Flour video on folding the dough in thiirds to create a sandwich loaf. Other websites had similar techniques, pressing the seams with the heel of your hand as you form the loaf.

Then seam side down into the greased loaf pans, cover loosely and let rise until the dough was just about to to the top of the pans.

I followed the kitchn.com website recipe for Beginner Sourdough Sandwich bread.

Still quite the rookie at this sourdough stuff.

-Dom

Back