MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #31
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinOkie View Post
... I'm working on mine, order a new light kit (thanks Santa and John aka Patio Daddio). I'll post my lessons learned as I practice. I was a professional Sports Photographer, now I just have to learn shoot stuff that's not moving.
Russ - I'm curious to hear what you think of that light kit.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #32
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

(bump)

I originally made this post back around the time of the first "Rookie, Virgin, Amateur FNG Throwdown". I made it because the whole idea to have the Throwdown was based on some PM's I had received and some posts that were made.

Everything I said in the opening post holds true today, and is how I would like to see the Throwdowns operate, and I believe the vast majority of members would like to see it operate.

Since making this post I have even more people to thank for improving my photo skills, along with others. The first to come to mind is caseydog, heck, he even doctored up a couple of photos out of sheer kindness even though we were competing against each other in the same Throwdown! That's the kind of friendship these things are about, and they are also supposed to be about fun.

This thread is not being bumped for any reason other than the fact that we recently had another "Rookie, Virgin, Amateur, FNG Throwdown" and I figured both new and old members alike should see this again.

Please read the opening post carefully and thoughtfully, whether you are a new member in the Throwdowns or not.

Let me know your thoughts whether you agree or not. It's very important to have open and honest feedback about the Throwdowns to keep them successful. I appreciate all feedback I receive, both positive and negative, so don't be afraid to be critical if you have some critical thoughts that may help. I always try to keep my emotions in check to never take anything personally. If anyone ever sees me do otherwise, just let me know.

Thanks for your time in reading this.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #33
deguerre

The TD section is the most fun thing about Q-Talk. What's to criticize?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #34
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
The TD section is the most fun thing about Q-Talk. What's to criticize?
Well, with lots of new members, or older members just joining the Throwdowns, I figured this was a good thing to bump now that the "Rookie, Virgin, Amatuer, FNG" Throwdown is over. It attracted a number of new names to the Throwdowns and based on their first experience they may have some feedback or feelings that this thread can help address. I just want to make sure their parting view of their first Throwdown has at least this perspective.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #35
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
(bump)

Let me know your thoughts whether you agree or not. It's very important to have open and honest feedback about the Throwdowns to keep them successful. I appreciate all feedback I receive, both positive and negative, so don't be afraid to be critical if you have some critical thoughts that may help. I always try to keep my emotions in check to never take anything personally. If anyone ever sees me do otherwise, just let me know.

Thanks for your time in reading this.
Thanks for the bump. I'm still enjoying the good-nature ribbing that goes on.

A new issue that has come up since this post is the "Shortbus" rule. While some Hollywood types would likely be offended by that name, I'm glad you instituted the rule. If someone accidentally screw ups one of the minor rules, I think it is good to still give them the glory of the entry thread. Whether it is worthy of votes or not, that is for the voters to decide. (For the record, I hope they give the Shortbus people only 1 vote!) I don't want anyone to have their feelings hurt because they accidentally failed to follow the rules. I think we're all just her for fun.

It gets a little greyer if someone like RonL would submit his recent porkchop cook (he hasn't, just an example), as I suggested, because it was cooked on a gasser and Ron knew full well that that breaks the rules. That is a tough decision and opens a whole can of worms. I'm glad it is you! I guess that is why you make the big bucks and have access to the executive bathroom.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #36
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Thanks for the bump. I'm still enjoying the good-nature ribbing that goes on.

A new issue that has come up since this post is the "Shortbus" rule. While some Hollywood types would likely be offended by that name, I'm glad you instituted the rule. If someone accidentally screw ups one of the minor rules, I think it is good to still give them the glory of the entry thread. Whether it is worthy of votes or not, that is for the voters to decide. (For the record, I hope they give the Shortbus people only 1 vote!) I don't want anyone to have their feelings hurt because they accidentally failed to follow the rules. I think we're all just her for fun.

It gets a little greyer if someone like RonL would submit his recent porkchop cook (he hasn't, just an example), as I suggested, because it was cooked on a gasser and Ron knew full well that that breaks the rules. That is a tough decision and opens a whole can of worms. I'm glad it is you! I guess that is why you make the big bucks and have access to the executive bathroom.
I'm liking that new rule too, but it only applies to Master Cuts contests and not the Throwdown contests (they are two different things). In the Throwdowns things are a lot more open, gassers are allowed for example, but if you break the rules you can get DQ'ed. This rarely happens and only ever happens to Gore. I think only one other person has ever been DQ'ed other than Gore, and they were trying to get one in order to add it to their resume. (by the way, Gore has like 50 DQ's or something like that, maybe even more than he has wins).

Now if only I could figure out how to get DQ'ed without it looking like I did it on purpose....

Duh.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #37
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Ahhh. My head hurts too much when I think about the rules so I try to.

I didn't realize the no gasser rule was only the "Master's" That makes sense. I didn't like it when I thought it was for all TD's, but it's understandable for the "Master's".

Please excuse my lack of effort to memorize the rules and return to your regularly scheduled program...

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #38
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

The only serious problem I have is that Farker Gore doesn't get DQ'ed nearly enough. I think I would also like to see pre-DQs; i.e., a DQ awarded before he even thinks about posting. Other than that, I'd have to agree with Guerry above. I would also like to STRESS what is emphasized in the rules that these things are about fun and I do hope my DQs serve to emphasize this point.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #39
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Ahhh. My head hurts too much when I think about the rules so I try to.

I didn't realize the no gasser rule was only the "Master's" That makes sense. I didn't like it when I thought it was for all TD's, but it's understandable for the "Master's".

Please excuse my lack of effort to memorize the rules and return to your regularly scheduled program...
This exact sort of rules confusion has caused me to regret making the Masters Cuts, and the thought to nix it has crossed my mind a number of times. It's just too confusing I think for most. People are having fun entering it...but I don't think the confusion is worth it.

Duh.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #40
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I think I would also like to see pre-DQs; i.e., a DQ awarded before he even thinks about posting.
Hmmmmmm..........

Me likey!

Were you planning on making any eggs?

Duh.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #41
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Hmmmmmm..........

Me likey!

Were you planning on making any eggs?
I had that nice streak going that ended a month ago. If it was still going, my answer would be yes, but now I think I'll just have to keep you guessing. Eggs are up there with fish heads and Spam on my list. Not sure how you might interpret that ....

Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #42
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I had that nice streak going that ended a month ago. If it was still going, my answer would be yes, but now I think I'll just have to keep you guessing. Eggs are up there with fish heads and Spam on my list. Not sure how you might interpret that ....
You could make a nice egg and okra omelet Gore...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #43
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
This exact sort of rules confusion has caused me to regret making the Masters Cuts, and the thought to nix it has crossed my mind a number of times. It's just too confusing I think for most. People are having fun entering it...but I don't think the confusion is worth it.
To be honest, I wouldn't mind if the Master's Cuts disappeared. They seem a bit too serious and they do seem a bit confusing, but at the same time I can see there is a need. If you just ran the pork belly Master's Cut over and over, I'd be happy.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #44
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
You could make a nice egg and okra omelet Gore...
Thanks Guerry, for reminding me about the okra.

I'm really a fussy farker. Amazing I can find anything to eat.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #45
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Look Gore... Egg ---> (o) (or nipple?)

Chris, maybe you can set up the throwdown threads to just automatically add a DQ for Gore regardless of whether he enters or not?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote