• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

how long to smoke a turkey and what temperature

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
hi guys, I'm going to smoke a turkey in my UDS tomorrow for Thanksgiving. Its a 13.3 pound bird. I'm not looking for smoking tips are brining ideas. I already know how I'm going to prepare the bird with a beer butter onion injection that I have done on chickens and it is absolutely delicious and juicy. Then I'm going to rub the bird with a dry rub mixture. I will do this tonight when I get home from work and start the bird early tomorrow morning. I have two questions should I cook this at 350 degrees like I do a chicken or should I cook it low and slow at 220 degrees for a lot longer time? My next question is how long do I cook it? I know a 3 pound chicken usually takes a couple hours at 350 degrees. I just need to know whether to start this smoker at 4 o'clock in the morning or 6 o'clock. Thanks guys!

I cook at 300*, a bird that size should take 3 to 3&1/2 hrs. at 300* JMO

325 to 350 is where you want to be.

I don't do poultry below 300. Too many risks involved.

Cook it til IT of the thickest part of the breast reads 160.

Let rest and temp should rise to 165+.

well that sounds kind of in the ballpark of what I was planning on doing and thinking myself.but on some smartphone research this morning lol on my way to work I'm reading where one saying smoke at 200 degrees for 12 hours and 10 hours stuff like that. I was planning on being able to start this is 6 or 7 in the morning and having it done by noon I hope I'm not wrong

Smoking at 200 leaves the bird in the danger zone for way too long.

Why would you want to have to smoke a turkey for 12 hours?

That cuts into drinking time too much!:laugh:

I've changed my mind from oven to Pit Barrel Cooker. I'm going to split and hang just like a chicken on the PBC Website video. Injection is going to be Orville Redenbacher popcorn butter, rubbed with Plowboys Yardbird. Amen

From someone that cooks whole birds weekly go 325-350... Closer to 350 the better. It will be more juicy and get plenty of smoke. Poultry does NOT benefit from lower temps. Go apple wood

325-350 for me. At 325, you are looking at about 15-17 minutes per lb. You should be able to finish in a little over 3 hours. Low and slow works really well for skinless breast IMO, but if you want a crispy skin you'll need a higher temp.

I've changed my mind from oven to Pit Barrel Cooker. I'm going to split and hang just like a chicken on the PBC Website video. Injection is going to be Orville Redenbacher popcorn butter, rubbed with Plowboys Yardbird. Amen

I'm not at home right now to tell you what my injection is. Year ago I found a website and I have since lost it that was full of Beer Can Chicken injections in recipes etc cetera. But my injection that I use for Birds came from that website. It is a combination of beer onions butter garlic salt and some other seasonings I can't remember. I've only use it on chicken so far in the smokebut I tell you what everyone loves it. And you better wear your safety glasses when you cut into the bird lol because that stuff explode everywhere! Extremely juicy!

From someone that cooks whole birds weekly go 325-350... Closer to 350 the better. It will be more juicy and get plenty of smoke. Poultry does NOT benefit from lower temps. Go apple wood

what's the difference in using apple wood on a bird vs Hickory or mesquite? And where can i buy apple wood? I've only seen Hickory in Mesquite at Walmart. I could plan for next year by cutting my own Apple branches off. A little too late to do that now.

what's the difference in using apple wood on a bird vs Hickory or mesquite? And where can i buy apple wood? I've only seen Hickory in Mesquite at Walmart. I could plan for next year by cutting my own Apple branches off. A little too late to do that now.

You should be able to find apple chunks at Lowe's or HD.

Pecan, Maple and Hickory are my favorites. Smoke, like taste is unique to each individual. I love to "grill" over very hot mesquite coals, to my senses mesquite "smoke" is bitter-even well seasoned. Apple smoke to me smells like smoldering soap though others love it.

Personal Choice: it is America-for now anyway

Oops back on topic. Pit barrel Cooker till 165 IT. I'm guessing 3-4 hours. I won't open lid to Thermapen until 3 hour mark.

Last edited:
I read a Big Bob Gibson recipe to cook at 250 for 4-6 hours. That is what I was gonna try...

243907d1385577933-food-smokers-smoking-tips-tricks-techniques-uploadfromtaptalk1385577932320.jpg

Smoking my first turkey today using mesquite and something else

16adams, what size turkey are you doing in the PBC? I am also cooking mine in the PBC, 19 pound bird. Going to set it on a perforated accessory.

Back