MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Default BGE vs XL Fit And Finish...

I sure wouldn't be posting this on the Primo forum, but I think I feel safe here...maybe a false sense of security.
I own a Primo XL and love cooking on it. That said, I just got back from a BBQ shop and took a good look at the BGE XL. I gotta say, from a standpoint of fit and finish, the BGE has it hands down over my XL.
The exterior finish on the Egg nice and consistent. My Primo has the inconsistent look of a hand molded and glazed outer surface. The inner ceramic lining is smooth and fine on the Egg, whereas with the Primo, the inner surface looks surprisingly rough and porous. The Egg lid lifts pretty easily...with my XL, you really feel the weight of the lid.
I don't know...I'm not an engineer and maybe all of those issues are designed into the Primo to make it perform better. I hope so. If that's the case, I applaud them for not compromising quality for appearance. On the other hand, at the same price, if BGE decides to make it possible to split the firebox load and make 1/2 direct a possibility, I'd be hard pressed not to go for an Egg XL over the Primo... OK...there, I said it!

Old 09-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

You can split the fire on the L BGE. I used the flat side of a Weber charcoal basket to block off one side. Worked fine.

I'm sure it works even better on the XL with the larger diameter.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Hexis
Found some matches.

You also get a sorta direct/indirect split with the platesetter. There are three open regions on the edge of the cooking grate that get direct heat, while the middle gets indirect. Not quite half and half, but still useful.
Hexis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
MG_NorCal
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
On the other hand, at the same price, if BGE decides to make it possible to split the firebox load and make 1/2 direct a possibility, I'd be hard pressed not to go for an Egg XL over the Primo... OK...there, I said it!
Check out the accessories here.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-woo2.html

I use the woo2 bracket all the time.
Buy a half-moon stone and you'll get your 1/2 direct capability.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
jagardn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
I sure wouldn't be posting this on the Primo forum, but I think I feel safe here...maybe a false sense of security.
Yeah, what would a Primo Forum member be doing here? Thats just crazy!!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Man, and I thought I was set on getting a Primo in the near future. This post is making me think twice about getting one now.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Darita- you must have a much better attention to detail than I do because I never noticed the quality of my Egg being any different than my buddies Primos. I've cooked on a few different Primos and thought they looked and cooked awesome. I sure like my BGE but I would be thrilled to have a Primo Oval beside it.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
revinit
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagardn View Post
Yeah, what would a Primo Forum member be doing here? Thats just crazy!!
revinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

Do a search for Midnight Smoke's posts- some show the direct/indirect setup with firebricks, I believe, on the XL. That's where I got the idea from.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabnabber View Post
Do a search for Midnight Smoke's posts- some show the direct/indirect setup with firebricks, I believe, on the XL. That's where I got the idea from.
I searched and couldn't find what you're talking about. Do you remember the name of the thread? I'm really on the fence between the 2 cookers. PrimoXL/BGEXL, If the BGE can do indirect/direct like the Primo with 2 zone fires and stacking lower and higher grates, I'll probably go with the BGE.
A bunch of Webers

Old 09-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
BBQJack

I own a 7 year old Egg and recent XL. I agree fully with the OP. The Primo finish leaves slot to be desired. That said, it still does what it's supposed to and well I might add.

I left the Primo forum. It's a little too much of a sycophany over there.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQJack View Post
I own a 7 year old Egg and recent XL. I agree fully with the OP. The Primo finish leaves slot to be desired. That said, it still does what it's supposed to and well I might add.

If you had to do it over again between a BGE XL and Primo XL which would you choose and why?
A bunch of Webers

Old 09-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
jagardn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Your profile says you were banned, left on your own accord eh? ;)

Old 09-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #14
BBQJack

I asked to have my profile deleted and that was the result, so I rest my case on that place.....

Old 09-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
jagardn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I asked to have my profile deleted and that was the result, so I rest my case on that place.....
Actually, now that you say it, I did see your post about a week ago asking to delete it.