MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #61
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
I usually leave the bones on but this year I'm going to try meatheads method. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...rib_roast.html
I've got a 9lb one I'm doing the meathead method on this year as well, was about to go trim it up, when I found out the dern rug rats used all my butcher's twine to do class art projects! Another trip to the store...
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #62
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the hook View Post
OK....Picked up a 10# plus and will be first time on grill/smoker....Going with S&P, oil rub(anything better?).....Hickory or cherry???....Est time at 230/250?...only a high of mid 20s and windy Tuesday, so...Gotta finish to about med well for wife though...Is there a way for med/rare for part, besides cutting(duh, like a dumb question, I assume)....Will post pron....
I too have friends and family that enjoy ruined meat. One way I deal with this for rib roast or prime rib, is to have a pan of au jus simmering at the time of serving and just dunk the med rare piece into the au jus until it is ruined enough for the uninformed diner.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #63
bvbull200
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMMAY View Post
Cut and paste from my post in PG2...
Well... Its been too long so I can't edit my post...

I cooked mine reverse sear style for a medium rare finish. That roast was small, only 3lb. Fired the kettle up to 225 with one chunk of hickory. Rubbed the roast with only S&P. Cooked to an IT of 115 (EXACTLY 115, knowing your meat temp is important...), removed, foiled temporarily while I filled both baskets with blue, and get the kettle as hot as it will go, took maybe 20 min. Roast back on kettle for maybe 10 minutes for a nice sear. Remove, foil and rest in preheated cooler for 30 min. Slice.

If you thought that the meat in my pic was too rare, it was closer to medium. My phone really amplifies red colors in pics.
Thanks, Timmay. Your meat didn't scare me off, it looks fantastic .

I'll back mine down to 225* It is a 9 pound rib roast and we will be leaving the bones on. Plan for a salt and pepper rub and nothing more. If I get it in the pit by 1 p.m., think I can be ready to eat by 6:30 p.m.? I normally like to cook without a hard schedule, but I'm going to have to dance around one this time, I think. I will only have about a 30 minute buffer at the end of the cook and can't start it much prior to 1 p.m.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #64
on the hook
On the road to being a farker

Gonna put this on in about an hour...Snowing and windy though??...About 7# after taking most of fat and ribs(on the grill now)...Will post after pics...

2nd pic is when I added the roast to the ribs already on...Is snowing and blowing.....

3rd pic is finished to 132...wife can cook hers some more...ribs are a little tough, but great flavor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7002.jpg (59.7 KB, 450 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7003.jpg (64.7 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7004.jpg (88.0 KB, 435 views)

Last edited by on the hook; 12-24-2013 at 04:57 PM..
on the hook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #65
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
Thanks, Timmay. Your meat didn't scare me off, it looks fantastic .

I'll back mine down to 225* It is a 9 pound rib roast and we will be leaving the bones on. Plan for a salt and pepper rub and nothing more. If I get it in the pit by 1 p.m., think I can be ready to eat by 6:30 p.m.? I normally like to cook without a hard schedule, but I'm going to have to dance around one this time, I think. I will only have about a 30 minute buffer at the end of the cook and can't start it much prior to 1 p.m.
You might be a little later than 630PM...
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #66
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

This thread is way under-appreciated.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #67
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Great job, Gore!

As noted, I don't sear any more, and I've switched to cooking at lower temps. I've tried just about every method possible and have gotten good results from all of them, but I like the even temperature across the roast that the lower temp cook gives and I get enough color/crust on the outside without the work of the reverse sear.

One thing that hasn't been discussed yet is the prime rib method developed by Stuart, the president of Cookshack. He originally developed it using the Cookshack electric smokers but it works even better in an FEC-100. Basically he cooks the rib roast at 250 for 12 minutes per pound and then drops the pit temp to 140 and hold the roast at 140 pit temp for at least 4 hours, preferably longer. The real key to this method is the extended hold time. I've found that it gives the juices time to distribute flavor throughout the roast and gives a great result. I've modified this to cook at 225 instead of 250 and go longer per pound, but still use the extended hold.
OK Ron, this year was a bit different. We happened to have a boneless rib roast in the freezer -- I don't freeze meat, but it was a gift from my brother. It was a bit smaller than what we normally do AND it was boneless. We cooked one of these before and it was quite good quality, so I wasn't concerned. I cooked this as I normally do, about 225*, and it was done some 3hours early. I pulled that off, and plopped it in the oven at 135* and held it there. At the end of some three hours I did a quick sear and served. Yes, it was medium rare, but it was also dry, especially on the outer portion and there was virtually no juice. Now, I can't say if this was because of this cooking technique or because of the freezing (again, I don't usually freeze meat). I just want to know if anyone else has tried this method and found dry results.... To me it makes sense, but a bit surprised this wasn't noted by anyone before.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #68
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

I'll throw mine in from last night.

I started with a 14+ lb boneless CAB choice Prime Rib Roast from Cash and Carry, I've had great results with these.

I cut this into a couple of roasts and some steaks for a later date(s). The roast on the right was last nights dinner......

Seasoned up with Worcestershire, Gr. garlic and Montreal Steak seasoning. I cooked this on my Kettle with KBB and mesquite for smoke. I ran the temp at 200-225 for the cook. I took the roast to an IT of 125 and then rested that till I was ready to sear. here is my set-up.....

Roast on........

This took about 3 hours to come up to an IT of 125,it was then rested for about an hour while I waited for the rest of the family to show up. This is what I had after the sear......

The pics don't really do it justice, but the family and I were very happy with it.

KC

Old 12-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #69
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Grillman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #70
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

I've never seen this in the store, but to date...I haven't looked.
This is awesome, and certainly worthy of it's own thread.
I've bookmarked this one to come back to. Thanks to ALL who have given helpful information.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #71
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I got a 13 or so # prime grade ribeye roast the weekend after Thanksgiving and stuck it uncovered in the fridge on a rack on a wooden cutting board.

Christmas Eve I took it out.

and trimmed it up. Basically I cut off anything that didn't look like food.

I cut quite a bit off - I trimmed the fat cap more aggressively than I have in the past based on what I'd seen Gore do - makes more sense for a good crust. The roast ended up at 10.6#

I rubbed with 50/50 by weight Malden Sea Salt and cracked black pepper. I ran out of cracked black, was too lazy to crack more, so I threw a little coarse ground in to get where it needed to be. Cooked at 200 to 120 IT and I ended up not searing this one - I was totally planning to, and when I pulled it out of the...um...oven ...(wife: aren't you going to smoke it? me: you said you didn't like it smoked. wife: oh. I did? me (in head) I'll be smoking this farker every year from now on).

Anyway, I pulled it out of the oven and one glance told me not to fark with this anymore - it was where I wanted it to be. So I took a blurry pic.

We certainly appreciated it. I'm sold on 50/50 by weight sea salt and cracked black. It will be a long time until I try something else methinks. In fact, I may start rubbing everything like this. So simple and so good.

I got fat drippings I wanna fry some taters in, but with dry aging there are no juices to make au jus with. I had beef base on hand, made some broth, hit it with dry sherry and some other stuff to make a jus. Served with horsey. People made what I assume to be their sexy face when they ate it.

My butcher said I should set it on some salt blocks when aging next time, or put some salt in a pan under it, so I'm gonna do that next year. Can't wait!

Fantastic thread, Gore.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #72
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post

How about cooking times? Thirdeye has compiled a list of cooking times for roasts. I'm going to cut and paste that here. Hopefully, he'll be able to update this list with new data.

I just want to comment that there are a lot of factors in these times, not only the kind of pit you have, but I believe also, how the roast is trimmed. I have found that my roasts have been cooked consistently in about 3 1/2 hours. The last one I did in which I trimmed all of the fat cooked in only 2 1/2 hours. I am assuming that is because this insulating layer has been removed -- ask any duck, fat is a great insulator. This certainly is an anomaly in the above dataset for a ~ 7lb roast.

Post your comments, pics and recipes, please!

For what it's worth, WRT cook times, X mins per pound is not applicable to a loin like a PR. Cook times are dependent upon chamber temp, starting Internal temp of the PR, and the thickness of the loin.

Gore, you mentioned that you like to let the PR sit out for about an hour coming up to temp on it's own. If someone else takes the exact same PR from the fridge straight to a 225 pit, their cook time will be different than your's even though everything else is the exact same.

WRT size, say you have an 16lb 7 bone whole PR. It will take roughly the same amount of time to cook that entire loin as it would to cook a 4 bone section of that same loin. Why ? Because they both have the same thickness. Thickness of the loin, not it's length, is what matters.

One exception is when you have a really small section where the length of the loin is less than it's height/thickness, like a small 2 bone roast.

Here's a way to think about it. Does it take less time to smoke a half rack of BB's or Spares than it does to do a full rack ? Nope. Why not? Because the length of the rack doesn't matter, as the cook time is determined by the thickness.

Look at this sirloin as another example:

If you cut 1/3 of that Sirloin off and cook the other 2/3'rds of it, will it take less time than cooking the entire sirloin ?

I think this is why some people in the thread have had PR's cook much faster than they thought they would.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #73
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

2 farking years since this has been up? Seriously? Let's fix that.

2 smaller ones this year - just worked out that way.

Dry aged for around 40 or so days. Raised on a rack with K salt underneath in a fridge that stayed around 36-38 degrees.

Trimmed off the funk.

Feeling good about the marbling.

Bacon grease, dalmatian, a little Montreal on top. I was kinda concerned I got a little heavy handed with the rub, but it was fine.

WSM at around 200 for a couple/few hours, pecan for smoke.

Rested in Cambro at 120-125 IT for a little while everything else finished up, the tossed in hot UDS with no deflector to give a little crust.

I think I dragged a greasy finger across the lens.

It was very good. Prime rib makes me happy. Apparently it does a lot of other folks as well. Love this stuff!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #74
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Prime rib makes me happy too!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #75
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

I've been waiting to see this cook and you didn't disappoint!!
Just amazing!!

Thanks for resurrecting this thread Greg!!

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prime rib, Rib Roast, standing rib roast