• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Briskett done wrong!?

tmehlhorn

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am by no means an expet at this cut of meat, but as I was browsing youtube i could not believe what i was hearing. Steven Reichlen is supposed to be this BBQ Guru, but now I wonder. First he was having his students open the door every 15 min:shocked: to marinate. Cooking at 195 degrees, and saying they would take at least 10 hours. First letting all the heat out every 15 min just to Baste the meat, cooking at 195 and its done in 10 hrs.... NOT. First he was cooking with fat side up so all that basting is just putting liquid on top of the fat cap, and I have never really thought basting does any good anyway, it just evaporates away. Also every15 min, hope you have the entire day and part of the night free because your just stuck there.

I never baste my briskets. I slow smoke them in the offset and never open the lid for hours...fat side up.

I bought a couple of Steve Reichlen books years ago and was thoroughly disappointed. He uses a witches brew of marrinade/basting ingredients that I either can't find or can't afford. I learned to cook briskets on my own with a little internet help from a Texan.

i cook my brisky fat down in a pan and after the bark has formed i use a suction bulb to baste it in its own au jus. yes it does evaporate, but it prevents moisture from evaporating from within the brisky. if you were outside and hot you would start sweating and would lose moisture by sweating with keeps you body core 97.6 degrees. if you ran the water hose over you when you started to sweat then that would evaporate and your body would not have to sweat to keep itself at 98.6. but every 15 minutes is just excessive. it takes a couple hrs for bark to form at that point i will baste. the juice is already hot so i does not cool it off like a spray. then maybe one more time 1-1.5 hrs later then wrap the when the bark really should not get any darker. open maybe three times

open the door every 15 min:shocked: to marinate. Cooking at 195 degrees, and saying they would take at least 10 hours.

Yea, I'm gonna call BS on this guy. Sounds like he doesn't deserve to have a "class."

If you're going to baste every 15 mins, why not just throw it in a crock pot?

I saw that before, and I wonder if he had them, the class, d do it just to have them do "something" during his class. I mean, I think he should of taught other items while the brisket was cooking... rather than have them keep basting. Seems to me the teacher was not prepared and had the class do busy work instead.

I have looked at his recipe and marinade book. Some good ideas in there, though I think he pilfered a lot of them.

the guy kills me. he's got a rancher,okie joe,drum,& other great pits smoking up a storm in the background then he goes & cooks on a silver weber gasser or that ufo-tailgate special gasser most of the time....:rolleyes:

was watching something on Food TV about him and his class and saw it as well. It also said his class was a couple grand to attend. So i can see it as his class is a way for higher income middle age men to "learn" to cook bbq. I think his class would be more about the overall experience for the student, not so much as learning to Q. BTW his brisket recipe is called the "Millionaire" Beef Brisket.

Back