MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Default I need some fire tips for a Weber with the 3 daisy wheels

I just got an unused 1999 Weber 18 1/2 " kettle from a family member. It has been outside for years, most of them covered. It is in excellent shape, but the wooden handles will need to be refinished. I have no experience with the three wheel system for air intake and I would appreciated any help and hints for a good fire as I am going to give this a whirl later tonight or tomorrow.

I am planning on cooking a a whole chicken that has had all the bones removed except for the wings. It is just over 2lbs. I think I might put a few lemon wedges and some onions and garlic inside and use McCormick Garlic and Onion seasoning on the outside. I like to lay a fairly heavy layer of this on the chicken, almost like a rub.

I will cook it indirect, using either Stubbs briquettes or Royal Oak or Wicked Good lump.
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Feel free to make suggestions for the chicken too along with the best way to make a good fire.

I should also add that I had returned to charcoal cooking at the beginning of summer for the first time in 20+ years. I have been using my Smokey Joe a few times per week since then, even now that it is getting cold here. I am also planning on doing a nice fat single bone prime rib as a steak for Christmas Eve. I ordered a 2" cut from the small end, Certified Black Angus, from my local butcher shop.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Churrasqueiro Bob; 12-22-2011 at 08:25 PM..
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I just bought a 3 wheeler off of CL. Going to use it for the IQ 110 if I want to do something small.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Does anyone else here use this style Weber? How does the fire control compare to the One Touch system? Coming from a Smokey Joe I'm guessing I'll have to adjust my cooking times and technique a bit since the food is closer to the charcoal on the SJ.
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

You can control it pretty much like the one touch but you have more options. I have one and when cooking indirect I only use one vent. I put the coals directly above a slightly opened vent with the other two completely closed. The food is on the opposite side of the grill from the coals and the exhaust vent is directly above the food. This draws the heat past the food very nicely and gives you good control of the heat.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Try this link-
http://bbq.netrelief.com/tips/how_to...ber_gill.shtml
dadsr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

First off...have a chat with Marty about your handles http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=marty+leach

The three vents work about the same as a large single one, just more flexibility
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote