Bigmista Balcony Barrel Smoker II

The extra pipe nipple is to stick a pole or something thru to jiggle the charcoal box to shake the ash free.

Now that is a great idea. I'll have to add that mod to my UDS along with a ball valve to one of the air intake nipples. Thanks Neil.

The top grate is about 5.5 inches from the top. The second grate is about the same distance below that.

Thanks for the Information Mista...I had been confused about the grate spacing!Hoping to get back to work on mine soon. I have the tubes bent just been to cold to really get out and work on it here.Spring will surely be here soon:biggrin: I also see that You put a pipe nipple in for the ash shaker...I would be glad to send You a picture of the one I made for mine if You are interested !! Yours is Lookin Great. Hope ya get a cook in before the Autry to test everything !!

Last edited by a moderator:
On my barrel smoker, I don't have an ash pan, keep meaning to make one. But I have cooked on it about 12 or 15 times lost count and it will probably go another 8 or 9 times before it will need to be emptied out. The ash sitting in it is not a good thing for an extended period of time but it wont have to be emptied out each time because it burns so clean. Even on long cooks I still have fuel left over.
Dave

On my barrel smoker, I don't have an ash pan, keep meaning to make one. But I have cooked on it about 12 or 15 times lost count and it will probably go another 8 or 9 times before it will need to be emptied out. The ash sitting in it is not a good thing for an extended period of time but it wont have to be emptied out each time because it burns so clean. Even on long cooks I still have fuel left over.
Dave

What do you use for fuel?

OK I need ideas for handles for the sides and lid. Please keep in mind that I need a quick solution and I don't weld.

HELP!

find a couple of small L shaped brackeds and drill into the lid. put a dowel rod connecting them

Neil, go to H. Depot or some other type hardware type store. Ask for gate handles. We use them here on sliding barn doors as well. You could mount them on the outside by drilling holes throught the sides of the barrel. I would used non-galvinized type handles and screws though.
Just a thought here.

Please keep in mind that you are talking to one of the least handy men in America. I need details and pictures if possible.

Please keep in mind that you are talking to one of the least handy men in America. I need details and pictures if possible.

Mista...this fitting would work for a handle...just go to home depot or any hardware store and ask for Steel Conduit Hanger with Nut And Bolt Attached then get a wooden dowel rod to use between 2 of these brackets that are bolted to the drum lid....You would need 6 fittings and 3 pieces of wooden dowel rod...the fitting come in various sizes...just pick the one You need and get a rod to match it...I Hope this helps You Brother...the bolt pictured is the one that will draw the fitting tight against the rod...just get some 1/4" stainless steel bolts to bolt to the drum!!

conduitfitting.jpg

Mista...this fitting would work for a handle...just go to home depot or any hardware store and ask for Steel Conduit Hanger with Nut And Bolt Attached then get a wooden dowel rod to use between 2 of these brackets that are bolted to the drum lid....You would need 6 fittings and 3 pieces of wooden dowel rod...the fitting come in various sizes...just pick the one You need and get a rod to match it...I Hope this helps You Brother...the bolt pictured is the one that will draw the fitting tight against the rod...just get some 1/4" stainless steel bolts to bolt to the drum!!

conduitfitting.jpg

Maybe I'm not look at this correctly but it doesn't look like the dowel would be far enough away from the barrel.

Maybe I'm not look at this correctly but it doesn't look like the dowel would be far enough away from the barrel.

You could put washers as spacers between the drum and this fitting to get the proper distance between the drum and fixture...or a pipe nipple...anything to get it spaced right !then draw it tight against the spacer...just a thought

Would something like this work?

038613280588_3.jpg

It's a garage door handle.

Would something like this work?

038613280588_3.jpg

It's a garage door handle.

It would work...just remember the Heat Transfer...that handle will get HOT!! You might go that route and split a piece of wooden rod and bolt it to the handle

handle

It'll get hot,but that's what they make oven mitts for........good luck!!

It would work...just remember the Heat Transfer...that handle will get HOT!! You might go that route and split a piece of wooden rod and bolt it to the handle

How about some foam padding that's used for water pipes?

Thats what I put on mine. The tabs can be bent to conform to the curved surface of the barrel. I am talking about the handles.
Dave

Mista,

Those will work fine. Just make sure to put a washer on the inside under the nut. They will get hot but you can figure that one out later after you see how hot. Another option would be to put a high temp washer of some sort on the outside between the drum and the handle. Ask at HD or Lowes.

Would the bolt transfer heat?

Back