MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #16
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

I can empathize with you. Kreuz Market in Lockhart was a disappointment. Black's was awesome though Smitty's Market wasn't too far behind either. Both Black's and Smitty's will see me again. Kreuz's, maybe in case I caught them on a rare bad day.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #17
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John
Default Totally Disappointing Meal

Make the drive to Cook’s and order the coarse chopped pork plate (hush puppies and slaw).

Old 07-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #18
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Last time I ate at Mac’s Speed Shop and it was decent.

This was McKoy’s.

Have heard Midwood is good and read good stuff about Bill Spoons.
Yep. Just as I suspected. Mac's was a lot better before they opened multiple locations.

Midwood is good.

Charlotte is kind of funny. Our BBQ roots here are mainly pulled pork. But, like everywhere else, there are some really good cooks that can produce the other stuff too. Problem is, they take off and then they want to open multiple restaurants. The city and surrounding areas are growing like crazy. Usually just thins the cooking talent out and each location gets closer to average.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #19
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

There is some awesome Q in Memphis.Not the tourist traps.Good idea to have a concealed carry permit if you visit most of them.Just sayin.Be sure you go with a group in daylight hours.Corky's,Central,Rendevous are NOT MEMPHIS Q.If you ever visit again,PM me and I will steer you to some awesome Q.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #20
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
I can empathize with you. Kreuz Market in Lockhart was a disappointment. Black's was awesome though Smitty's Market wasn't too far behind either. Both Black's and Smitty's will see me again. Kreuz's, maybe in case I caught them on a rare bad day.
My experience was different. I thought Blacks was on the terrible end of the spectrum. Smittys and Kreutz was similar. Both were good old school BBQ. Not as good as some of these new school places. But I was not expecting new school BBQ. I was expecting BBQ like it was 1955. I thought it delivered.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:00 PM   #21
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Being disappointed going out for barbecue hurts more than any other food type for me. Steakhouses being a close second. But with barbecue, for every one new place I tried that was great, there were 2 or 3 that left me disappointed. Sometimes it's just about someone else doing the cooking, but when you fork over all that cash and it's not remotely as good as I can get at home, I do find myself questioning my decision making.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #22
Tatanka
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

"Wilbur's" in Goldsboro, NC.

Kevin
22.5" Weber Kettle & 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
Tatanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:42 PM   #23
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
There is some awesome Q in Memphis.Not the tourist traps.Good idea to have a concealed carry permit if you visit most of them.Just sayin.Be sure you go with a group in daylight hours.Corky's,Central,Rendevous are NOT MEMPHIS Q.If you ever visit again,PM me and I will steer you to some awesome Q.
Had some awesome 'cue just across the river in a shady part of Memphis. It was a real highlight for me. Their other location out by the airport was basically a frozen roast reheated in a microwave ...

Yes, it was in a rough part of town so not a good place for the naive traveler. I ran into some of the nicest locals though standing in line at the take-out counter since the dining room was closed. The men I spoke with standing in line were right! It was really awesome!
Old 07-19-2018, 02:59 AM   #24
SlickRockStones
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Gary

Bridges BBQ Lodge in Shelby ‘nuff said. In business like 70 years. Chopped shoulder and chicken only over hickory and oak only. No gloppy sweet sauce. You get a Dixie cup with thin “dip”. Red slaw and hush puppies. Highway 74 in Shelby.
SlickRockStones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:13 AM   #25
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Along with Cowgirls wisdom of checking out the back of the place, I suggest checking the health rating sign. Any place rated at better than a 'C', just keep walking.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #26
Hadoken
Knows what a fatty is.

If you're still in town I would try Midwood Smokehouse or The Smoke Pit just over in Concord, NC.
Neither are traditional "NC BBQ" places, but they have a good selection of beef/pork shoulder/chicken.

I won't say either are the best, but last I tried them they were both good. Been a while since I've been down that way though.
Hadoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:03 AM   #27
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

I've been doing the "Texas BBQ Tour" for quite a while. So far I haven't really been disappointed by any of the Top 50 joints in Texas. Texas Monthly does a great job of recommending quality places, IMO. Outside of Texas it's more of a crap shoot. I tend to not eat at BBQ places unless I've heard from a reliable source that they're really good (I don't trust just anyone's opinion). I can forgive mediocre Mexican food, or pizza or whatever, but I have a hard time overlooking bad BBQ.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #28
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

I would question any NC BBQ joint that offers more protein than pork products. NC joint menus generally offer 3 items for a main. Barbecue plate, Barbecue sandwich, ribs.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #29
jimbotx
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
Was Rendezvous one of them?
Stayed downtown Memphis while passing through a few years back and walked over to try it. Never again.
jimbotx is offline   Reply With Quote