Organizing a trailer for comps...

"Bone to Bark" BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We just purchased a 6x12 enclosed trailer, with a ramp door on rear and side door near the front, and would like some ideas AND pics of how you guys have yours set up, as far as shelving, storage racks, smoker tie-down, etc..... BTW it has an interior height of 6'.

Thanks all

..... BTW it has an interior height of 6'. Thanks all

OUCH! By the time you add an A/C, insulation, a ceiling and a couple of more lights things might get a tad tight in there :rolleyes:. And the highth at the back door is most likely closer to 5' 8" :oops:.

I'm not gonna be cooking in the trailer. It's just for transporting all my stuff.. It should all fit in there, shouldn't it? I was originally thinking a 5x8..... but found this one for a good price.

I had a 6x12 and it fit everything fine for transport, but I thought that size was too small to work out of - then I saw Wild Blue's. His is 6x12 on the outside, but 8x18 on the inside. (If you're familiar with his trailer you know what I mean. If not, he's a one man team and has his set up efficiently set-up for him which makes the trailer look huge - of course being like 5'6" probably helps)

I used a 6x12 the last two years identical to what you are talking about. I don't know if I have any pics of it packed but here are a couple of things i did that may help.

Install E-Track down both sides to help with strapping things down. I installed a 4' florescent light over the right side of the trailer which is where i setup my Sam's table to do my prepping and such. I purchased a round access door from a trailer store which i use to run an extension cord through and then route it to the fridge and the table area so i can plug in the light, electric knife, radio, or whatever you have.

My fridge had external coils so i took a board with two metal ends makes it look like a really long C that i put at the top and bottom of the fridge. I do this because i can strap the fridge to the E-Track extremely tight without messing up the coils.

Let me know if you need anything else.

EDIT: I was able to find a pic but the trailer wasn't loaded. I moved the drum back towards the gate and put the fridge in that spot. The pic doesn't show the florescent light but it right about where the table is. Just to be cautious I added a carbon monoxide detector next to it. The light provides a lot of light in the trailer at night and you can usually pick them up for $20 or so at the home stores.

6962131261_46aa25e863_z.jpg

We have a 7 x 14 that we installed e-track down both sides, plus heavy duty tie downs on the floor. We strapped metal shelves (similar to what JC McGee has pictured) to the wall with the e-track - those things don't move at all - and used bungees to keep our clear plastic totes in place during transit. The shelving is also on wheels so it's easily moved out of the trailer when needed. We also use the e-track to strap in our EZ Ups (we're actually thinking about adding a second row of e-track above the first row to help keep these in place at two points). Basically everything "heavy" gets strapped to the walls except our WSM's - and those get strapped to the floor using the tie-downs. The coolers then slide down the alley in the middle.

Sorry - no pics right now... They are on the hubby's phone...

BTW - it may be a "girl thing" but I labeled the outside of our totes with the inventory of what is in each one - that way if anyone other than myself or Kevin are looking for something or helping to pack stuff back up, they know where everything is/belongs.

I put a large metal cabinet in the v-nose of my trailer. It is 18 x 36 inches. I got so tired of pulling everything out of the plastic totes to find something, 'cause it seemed like everything I was looking for was always in the bottom! :mad2: I love it! It is a nice cabinet and cost around $200. But it sure made cooking a comp lots easier! Pay no attention to the fingerprints... :heh:

IMG_8587.jpg

IMG_8573-1.jpg

IMG_8585-1.jpg

IMG_8575.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I love the idea of labeling all the clear totes.... it's not a girl thing, just an organized person thing! Thanks for all the other info also.

I dunno, my wife labeling EVERYTHING. :becky:

We used 2 rows of e-track, and 2' and 4' in the trailer, never had a problem with stuff moving. We bolted resin bins to wire kitchen shelves and put those on casters with 8" tires. Everything just rolls right off.

Back