Charcuterie Thread

I had a coppa finish up recently. Turned out mighty fine! Do you have a goto recipe for coppa Joe? I've done the last 2 out of Ruhlman's book.

I had a coppa finish up recently. Turned out mighty fine! Do you have a goto recipe for coppa Joe? I've done the last 2 out of Ruhlman's book.

I do. After trying various things (Ruhlman amongst them) I found that I like simple the best. It hit me one time while trying some proscuitto.......anyhow.

Get the best meat I can get my hands on 2.5 % of meat weight Sea Salt. I let it go a minimum of 2 weeks, then rinse with water. Hit it with a coating of black pepper and cayenne, don't measure, just dust it good. Hang in the chamber until 35% weight loss. Vac pack and into the fridge for a month or more.

Nothing fancy by any stretch, but I found that it is what I like best so far.

Pepperoni

sOjmHyy.jpg

6wxDg8Q.jpg

I nee a chamber, did you guys build your own or purchase?

Any recommended DIYs?

thanks

Earlier in the year I got a fresh ham that had all the skin removed. I decided to cure it proscuitto style. Salted, hung, and when the time came, I covered anywhere that had exposed meat with a mixture of lard and rice flour. Last night, when I was checking on the chamber, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to crack it open and see what was up.

Not the best looking thing in the world at this point. Wiped off as much of the lard as I could.....

bFqwSL9.jpg

Cut about a 1/3 of it off. Seemed much more promising.

OUHR430.jpg

Broke it down into manageable chunks to vac seal but had to have a couple of slices for quality control.

XxDkMPL.jpg

Pretty pleased. Tasted just like a young proscuitto. Pretty happy that I gave this a shot and didn't just grind the thing or something along that line.

This is so on my list of things I need to try.
2 1/2 years till retirement, then it's game on! Thanks for sharing!

Hell yea Joe! I always wanted to salt cure a pork leg like jamon. Problem is that we don't have basements and even worse is that it's always warm around here.

Hell yea Joe! I always wanted to salt cure a pork leg like jamon. Problem is that we don't have basements and even worse is that it's always warm around here.

Yeah, if I didn't build a curing chamber, I wouldn't try 1/2 the things I do. At least not over summer time in Memphis.

Tried my guancale the other day. It's been hanging in my shed most of the winter.

20190917-162853.jpg

Extremely fatty. Have had to cut off all the external surfaces, but the flavour is pretty good.. if you like all that fat. Can't eat too much of it, but nice.

Back