MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #10741
funugy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnuce View Post
Hi all,

New here and have been reading through the forums for a couple of weeks now. Going to begin my first UDS build hopefully this weekend if my drum arrives. Thank you to all of you who have posted so much information on process of building one of these. I really appreciate it. I have one question to start and I am hoping someone can give me a little advice.

My drum is food grade (not sure about the liner yet as I haven't seen the drum), but after I burn it out, I am assuming that I should then sand it down both inside an out. I don't have equipment to do this, although I believe I could track one down. How much time does this typically take and would it be worth my time to have someone sandblast it after the burn instead.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Welcome aboard.

It depends on the liner. If you can finde someone to sandblast it on the cheap I'd say do it. I was quoted $40 around here to have a barrel sandblasted inside and out, but luckily the barrels I found were bare on the inside.

Many people just burn the heck out of them and can scrape the remaining paint with a wire brush. But like I said, it depends on the liner. Some have vowed to never burn, scrape, and sand again because of the hassle.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #10742
funugy
Take a breath!

@sam.t--GOOD GAWD MAN! You don't mess around do ya. Did you have a problem deciding what's for dinner?

Good looking grub.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #10743
savageford
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
Where can I find cooking grates to fit an 85 gallon drum? I think it needs to be about 25"+ diameter. I don't wunna use a 22" grate.....that defeats the purpose of having a 85 gallon....might as well use my 55 gallon drum. TIA
http://www.amazon.com/Grillmark-Chro...owViewpoints=1
savageford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #10744
Burnuce
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funugy View Post
Welcome aboard.

It depends on the liner. If you can finde someone to sandblast it on the cheap I'd say do it. I was quoted $40 around here to have a barrel sandblasted inside and out, but luckily the barrels I found were bare on the inside.

Many people just burn the heck out of them and can scrape the remaining paint with a wire brush. But like I said, it depends on the liner. Some have vowed to never burn, scrape, and sand again because of the hassle.
Burned the drum and lid for over 3 hours tonight. Going to see if i can get a good deal on sandblasting it with most if not all the paint gone
Burnuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #10745
sam.t
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funugy View Post
@sam.t--GOOD GAWD MAN! You don't mess around do ya. Did you have a problem deciding what's for dinner?

Good looking grub.
My version of a mixed grill !

To be truthful, I was impatient to see what some of the different cuts would be like cooked in the smoker, Had to put some in the freezer but we had that with salads at a later date.
sam.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #10746
slugmong
Knows what a fatty is.

Default FrankenTurboMobileDeath Smoker

Hi guys now that the snow has gone I have decided to spruce up the old UDS.

I had the idea of using the frame from my rusted out horizontal BBQ and adding a few bits of shiny to her. I am re seasoning her at the minute with some ground nut oil and will attach her to the frame and touch up her external paint tomorrow!

I may even be tempted to add a chrome tail pipe as a chimney at some stage what do you think guys?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoker2.jpg (86.9 KB, 758 views)
File Type: jpg smoker3.jpg (107.1 KB, 758 views)
File Type: jpg smoker1.jpg (42.9 KB, 758 views)

Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #10747
funugy
Take a breath!

@slugmong--I love the idea of re-purposing things that you don't use anymore. While you are at it, take a look at the folding side tables on the old grill. Is there anyway to attach them to the old frame?

I need to do an "update" project too. It is about time to clean, repaint, and add some tables.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #10748
slugmong
Knows what a fatty is.

I did take a look at adding them but couldn't think of a way to fix them, the frame is pretty shot so it is only temporary I am thinking of building a table that joins the UDS to a 57cm Weber one touch.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #10749
Mr. Sinister
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.t View Post
Well, I read the complete thread and what a thread that was, thank you to all who contributed, I did my best to inwardly digest the masses of advice and info and this is what I have built.

First tentative smoke

Followed very quickly by:

Just wish the summer would arrive, the U.K. is bloody miserable at the moment, at least we are in the South west and have no snow.

Hope you didn't get bored !
Great post sir! What did you put in the mini sweet peppers? They look great!
Mr. Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 03:41 AM   #10750
sam.t
Found some matches.

Thank you Mr Sinister.
I stuffed the mini peppers with a pork mince, garlic, oregano and chilli flake mix, (caught the wife out with those chilli flakes lol)
sam.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #10751
Burnuce
Found some matches.

What type of paint should I use on my UDS? Does it need to be high heat or would something like an engine enamel work?

Old 03-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #10752
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Just about anything will work. The sides don't get hot enough to burn the paint off the drum.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #10753
Burnuce
Found some matches.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #10754
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

I have been running my newly built UDS on 1 1/4 bags of KBB for over 28 hours. I'm going to keep it rolling and see how long it goes. This is pretty unbelievable.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #10755
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

I put a 20# bag of K in my UDS on Friday and loaded it up with about 60# of pork butts. When I pulled them on Saturday morning we put a ham on and smoked it. Shut it down after about 24 hours and haven't checked to see what's left. But I know there's fuel left in it. Best darn smoke I own!
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker