MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #211
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
Let’s say Tim & I form a team. He cooks some I cook some, but our points both count towards the team as long as the comps aren’t on the same day. This would be a very unfair situation. We could do doubles on opposite ends of the planet and we’d never miss a weekend cooking, but we each could have plenty of time off.

On second thought, maybe they should change the rule.
That makes sense and I guess I didn’t really think of it from that aspect. Thanks for the explanation for this newbie!!

Old 07-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #212
egorham
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
Let’s say Tim & I form a team. He cooks some I cook some, but our points both count towards the team as long as the comps aren’t on the same day. This would be a very unfair situation. We could do doubles on opposite ends of the planet and we’d never miss a weekend cooking, but we each could have plenty of time off.

On second thought, maybe they should change the rule.

Where in the rules does it say a head cook (or chief cook in the 2019 rules) has to be in attendance? I noticed that rules committee opined on this but I don't see anywhere in the rules that a head cook needs to be at the contest. Is this something in an advisory?

I don't disagree with a rule requiring the head cook be in attendance, for the reason stated above, but it seems odd to require it without it being stated in the rules.

Last edited by egorham; 07-09-2019 at 09:53 PM..
egorham is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #213
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by egorham View Post
Where in the rules does it say a head cook (or chief cook in the 2019 rules) has to be in attendance? I noticed that rules committee opined on this but I don't see anywhere in the rules that a head cook needs to be at the contest. Is this something in an advisory?
I went back over the rules sheet after reading your response and this is all I could find:

“Each team shall consist of a chief cook and as many assistants as the chief cook deems necessary. A team shall not compete in more than one KCBS sanctioned contest under the same team name, on the same date. Chief cooks and/or assistant cooks may only cook for their designated team at the contest they are attending.”

I definitely agree with Brads explanation, but I also agree with your statement about enforcing a rule that really isn’t written that way.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #214
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

It came into play 9 or so years ago. The reasoning follows the logic Brad laid out.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #215
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
It came into play 9 or so years ago. The reasoning follows the logic Brad laid out.
Yep. It used to be a problem. Points/draws/qualifications follow the chief cook not necessarily the team. If he/she is not in attendance they don’t get credited to him/her.

I could have 2 head cooks for my team under the current rules, but all of the results would apply to the cook who served as the head cook at each contest.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #216
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillBillie_D View Post
Another interesting topic was discussed in the rules committee. They discussed ideas about why contests and teams are disappearing and one idea discussed was dropping brisket entirely.
I noticed this as well. I know there are board members who know what the issue is (it's not brisket). Do we have a couple Board members that have more power than the others that can't get out of their own way? Wanna get people excited about competing again? Just fix the judging issues (btw - it's not a seating program problem). Require a re-certification at some level, set some basic rules for being a judge like "must have teeth, or required to wear dentures when judging". Start doing some of these things and with time, you might win back some teams that have left. The teams that these basic things hurt the most are the under the 10-15 contest teams, which represents the majority of the teams.
manmeatbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #217
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by egorham View Post

I don't disagree with a rule requiring the head cook be in attendance, for the reason stated above, but it seems odd to require it without it being stated in the rules.
I know there have been times when I had to work on Friday, and showed up late. Check in was done, my teammates know my KCBS number (though they have even called to ask before), and no one ever has come by to make sure I showed. Seems like this rule isn't enforced super thoroughly (or maybe it's because they know we're nobodies and aren't going to factor in to any points chase)

Old 07-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #218
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmeatbbq View Post
I noticed this as well. I know there are board members who know what the issue is (it's not brisket). Do we have a couple Board members that have more power than the others that can't get out of their own way? Wanna get people excited about competing again? Just fix the judging issues (btw - it's not a seating program problem). Require a re-certification at some level, set some basic rules for being a judge like "must have teeth, or required to wear dentures when judging". Start doing some of these things and with time, you might win back some teams that have left. The teams that these basic things hurt the most are the under the 10-15 contest teams, which represents the majority of the teams.
These area all good points but doesn't address the top reason for less teams. Expenses. Comp BBQ is an expensive hobby. We haven't done many contests the last couple of years due to this. I love competing but it's difficult to drop $1000 a weekend 20 times a year. Not sure how KCBS could fix this, or if they should, but it's why so many folks are dropping out after the "BBQ Pitmasters" bump

Old 07-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #219
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

I agree that expense is a deterrent to a lot of people. I just don't know how, realistically, to change it at this point. I love the guinea pig concept, but there are a lot of legit issues with making it "the way" and a lot of teams that want to bring their own meat in.

Maybe a set up where people can pick up their meat at a comp at a great price from a sponsor? Even then, that would probably lead to lower prize pools as you're taking someone who may have given cash as a sponsor and having them give discounts on products instead.

I don't know the answer, but judging is important, but cost is a major issue that keeps teams from doing any, or the guys doing 1-2 from doing 6-8.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #220
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right on Q View Post
These area all good points but doesn't address the top reason for less teams. Expenses. Comp BBQ is an expensive hobby. We haven't done many contests the last couple of years due to this. I love competing but it's difficult to drop $1000 a weekend 20 times a year. Not sure how KCBS could fix this, or if they should, but it's why so many folks are dropping out after the "BBQ Pitmasters" bump
I don't disagree with this. I know that is the most likely reason we saw the thought of dropping brisket as counting toward GC, since it is the most expensive category. It is definitely an expensive hobby, especially if you don't have multiple teammates that are helping with the costs.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #221
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
I know there have been times when I had to work on Friday, and showed up late. Check in was done, my teammates know my KCBS number (though they have even called to ask before), and no one ever has come by to make sure I showed. Seems like this rule isn't enforced super thoroughly (or maybe it's because they know we're nobodies and aren't going to factor in to any points chase)
It's not enforced. I know a team last year that cooked a contest under the head cook and it was known from the start he'd never be there.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #222
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right on Q View Post
Competition BBQ has never been cheap. People always bring up the cost. There was never a time competition BBQ was cheap. You know this going into it. Or should at least.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #223
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
I agree that expense is a deterrent to a lot of people. I just don't know how, realistically, to change it at this point. I love the guinea pig concept, but there are a lot of legit issues with making it "the way" and a lot of teams that want to bring their own meat in.

Maybe a set up where people can pick up their meat at a comp at a great price from a sponsor? Even then, that would probably lead to lower prize pools as you're taking someone who may have given cash as a sponsor and having them give discounts on products instead.

I don't know the answer, but judging is important, but cost is a major issue that keeps teams from doing any, or the guys doing 1-2 from doing 6-8.
I know this....... they day I can't bring my own meat that I selected and trimmed......... I'm done. Meat provided contests don't level playing fields, it just shuffles the decks. Ask anyone who has ever cooked these events and you'll hear that the quality of meat between coolers is not equal. Some have gotten some real junk.

Some teams can win brisket with primes and commodity pork and chicken wins every weekend. People aren't getting outspent, they are getting out worked.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #224
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
. People aren't getting outspent, they are getting out worked.
^^^^^This^^^^^

There may be a few teams that are leaving due to expense that got in from the Pitmasters "bump", however, if those teams were winning, they wouldn't leave. Everyone has an equal chance to win, but that opportunity starts before the contest starts.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #225
egorham
On the road to being a farker

I am not sure if this should be its own thread or if this is the proper place for the discussion.

I think the worst thing that could happen is to think there is a one-way fits all solution. Meat provided contests, excluding brisket, paying deeper into the finishing order (top 10 in categories and overall) and any other "solutions" all have their place but the best way forward is to let the promoters do whatever they can to differentiate their events.

The biggest issue with loosing events is that there is not a very good way for the promoters to generate a return on their investment. The competitive teams don't want to do samples (I am in this category so I am not throwing stones here, although some don't consider me competitive) and the health departments make it hard to have a mix of comp and vending.

My guess is we are loosing teams at the same rate but we are not adding in new teams as fast as we used to. BBQ Pitmasters was great advertising for competitive BBQ and not having BBQ on TV has caused the interest has die down.
egorham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kcbs