• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Burger Fat Content

SouthernSmokeRings

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Was thinking about getting the meat grinder attachment for our kitchenaid mixer but wanted to get some tips for getting the right fat content for burgers. Just trying to get a better understanding ding of how I know the fat content of the burgers and what fats I need to add in to get the mixture correct.

That’s not my question. How do I know it’s 80/20 or 75/25? My question is how do I know the fat content is correct if I’m grinding burgers myself?

Update, just read your second post. A scale sounds good to me.

I have the same grinder and it says in the instructions to put it through the grinder twice.

My supermarket always has 80/20 that is fresh ground 3 times a day. For the price, I don’t bother grinding my own anymore.

Chris

Briskett and boneless rib roast. That's what we put in our KA grinder:biggrin1:. Only goes thru once. We also add a few tablespoons of rendered bacon fat/lb
for that extra smooth goodness.

It's difficult to go back using the assorted scraps and fat the market calls 80/20 (I'm sure it is by weight), just doesn't taste the same :wink:

Was thinking about getting the meat grinder attachment for our kitchenaid mixer but wanted to get some tips for getting the right fat content for burgers. Just trying to get a better understanding ding of how I know the fat content of the burgers and what fats I need to add in to get the mixture correct.

That’s not my question. How do I know it’s 80/20 or 75/25? My question is how do I know the fat content is correct if I’m grinding burgers myself?

In a perfect world of lean and fat all you need is a scale and calculator. Let's say you want to make 10 pounds of hamburger..... For a 90/10 ratio, start with 9 pounds of lean meat and add 1 pound of fat. For a 80/20 ratio, start with 8 pounds of lean and add 2 pounds of fat. There are a couple of other calculation methods to get the true lean to fat ratios, one is called Pearson's square, and the other is the lean point. There are also lab tests that can determine this. What myself and most people go by is called the "source grind" method which means... meat from a particular area of a steer has a somewhat consistent fat ratio.

Ground sirloin is roughly 10% fat. Select this if you want 90/10 burger and you will be really close.
Ground round is around 12% fat.
Ground chuck is usually 15% to 20% fat. This will be close to a 80/20 ratio.
Ground brisket will be 20% + fat.

With these approximate percentages you can experiment with different ratios and flavor profiles. For example

1. 50% brisket - 50% sirloin

2. 50% chuck - 50% sirloin

3. 33% brisket - 33% chuck - 33% sirloin

4. 40% chuck - 40% boneless short ribs - 20% brisket

5. 50% sirloin - 25% chuck - 25% brisket

Also, you can add ground pork into your ground beef, but pork that is sourced from different areas of a hog also has different lean to fat ratios. Pork butt is 25% to 30% fat depending on your degree of trimming (perfect for making sausage), pork loin would be 8% to 10% fat.

Grind a full packer brisket, and you'll be fine. A chuck roast usually has plenty of fat, but typically slightly less than a brisket...choose one with the most fat you can find.

Brisket can taste more 'beefy', and I like that. A USDA Select can be fairly inexpensive, and will ALWAYS be better than the ground beef in a tube (or even the 'fresh grind' from the grocery).

The more fat you have, the more shrinkage you can expect. On a regular grill with grates, you will probably want to pat out your patties a bit flatter with a larger diameter to compensate for the shrinkage. Otherwise they will likely shrink & plump as they cook. If you're cooking on a flat top griddle, just do the smash when they go on...hold them to the griddle surface for 5-10 seconds...they won't shrink much after that.

If you plan to make burgers you may want to get a good burger press and burger papers. I’ve been using this Weston model for years and really like it. Weston Burger Express Hamburger Press with Patty Ejector (07-0310-W), Makes 4 1/2" Patties, 1/4lb to 3/4lb https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XB45DO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MNlgDbR9N9K69

You can set to fill out the hamburger form without squishing the meat. I form my own patty’s when doing cooks for groups of people.

I never go crazy with all of the meat and additive combinations some other people do, and to be quite honest I don’t like my burgers like that. Something as simple a good fresh ground beef with salt and pepper can be perfection in the same way that a good fresh baked roll from a bread bakery and good butter can be.

Chris

My wife will not eat ground meat if there is any pink showing at all. So.... I prefer 27% fat or so. This allows the meat to be fully cooked yet still juicy. Actually 80/20 is fine but the other give more leeway.

In a perfect world of lean and fat all you need is a scale and calculator. Let's say you want to make 10 pounds of hamburger..... For a 90/10 ratio, start with 9 pounds of lean meat and add 1 pound of fat. For a 80/20 ratio, start with 8 pounds of lean and add 2 pounds of fat. There are a couple of other calculation methods to get the true lean to fat ratios, one is called Pearson's square, and the other is the lean point. There are also lab tests that can determine this. What myself and most people go by is called the "source grind" method which means... meat from a particular area of a steer has a somewhat consistent fat ratio.

Ground sirloin is roughly 10% fat. Select this if you want 90/10 burger and you will be really close.
Ground round is around 12% fat.
Ground chuck is usually 15% to 20% fat. This will be close to a 80/20 ratio.
Ground brisket will be 20% + fat.

With these approximate percentages you can experiment with different ratios and flavor profiles. For example

1. 50% brisket - 50% sirloin

2. 50% chuck - 50% sirloin

3. 33% brisket - 33% chuck - 33% sirloin

4. 40% chuck - 40% boneless short ribs - 20% brisket

5. 50% sirloin - 25% chuck - 25% brisket

Also, you can add ground pork into your ground beef, but pork that is sourced from different areas of a hog also has different lean to fat ratios. Pork butt is 25% to 30% fat depending on your degree of trimming (perfect for making sausage), pork loin would be 8% to 10% fat.

Noted.
Very informative.
Thank ye kindly

-D

I'm working my way up to grinding some burger myself, but I already know that I like different ratios for different things. For a grilled or griddle burger, I like 80/20.

But for tacos, I enjoy the fatty taste of well drained cheap 73/27.

I'm working my way up to grinding some burger myself, but I already know that I like different ratios for different things. For a grilled or griddle burger, I like 80/20.

But for tacos, I enjoy the fatty taste of well drained cheap 73/27.

Also try different grinds. A coarse grind is good in chile, tacos, and nachos where as you might want a finer grind for meatballs.

Now ressurecting this thread that I carefully read after I got my first meat grinder, trying to decide what projects to do. I ended up with a 7# pork shoulder and a 13# packer brisket. Projects were Italian sausage, brats, and hamburget.

Italian was 100# pork and turned out very well using AC Legg seasoning.

I didn't see anything in this thread about trimming, but when I went to the brisket, it just seemed very fatty to me so I carved off maybe 2# -- much less than I would have taken if I was going to smoke it.

Went 50/50 pork and brisket for the brats. Resulting sausages were a very pale pink and shrunk to about 50% length when cooked. Quite funny, actually, when I pulled out an instant read thermometer after checking I got a geyser of hot liquid fat that went 3-4" into the air.

Went 100% brisket for the hamburger and got even paler pink. Making patties was difficult because the meat was so soft and floppy that you could hardly pick it up. No surprise, there was huge shrink when I cooked some burgers.

So ... my conclusion is that I need to trim a brisket very aggressively, leaving only the intramuscular fat. Maybe even not leave the usual 1/4" of the fat cap.

Comments? Do you guys really grind brisket without trimming first?

Now ressurecting this thread

SNIP

Went 100% brisket for the hamburger and got even paler pink. Making patties was difficult because the meat was so soft and floppy that you could hardly pick it up. No surprise, there was huge shrink when I cooked some burgers.

So ... my conclusion is that I need to trim a brisket very aggressively, leaving only the intramuscular fat. Maybe even not leave the usual 1/4" of the fat cap.

Comments? Do you guys really grind brisket without trimming first?

I think you should have mixed the brisket with some ground chuck.

I think you should have mixed the brisket with some ground chuck.
Yes, I know that is a popular option but I also see posts where the burgers are 100% brisket.

My brats, which were 50/50 pork shoulder and brisket also had way too much fat. I would have expected those to be at least similar in fat content to 50/50 brisket/chuck.

So I am back to the question about how aggressively to trim brisket.

Yes, I know that is a popular option but I also see posts where the burgers are 100% brisket.

My brats, which were 50/50 pork shoulder and brisket also had way too much fat. I would have expected those to be at least similar in fat content to 50/50 brisket/chuck.

So I am back to the question about how aggressively to trim brisket.

If you are going to go 100% brisket then I would suspect you would trim aggressively and weigh your meat and fat to get the ratio you are looking for.

See post #7 from thirdeye in this thread.

Before grinding brisket I trim the good hard fat, then slice into pieces about as wide as my thumb. When prepping the meat for grinding I remove any of the softer fat and toss it. I par-freeze the meat strips and fat strips so I can alternate them when grinding. I do make some 100% ground brisket, but I use it mainly for chili or taco meat, and make it somewhat coarse. It will have a different texture than say sirloin or chuck. This is an example of my coarse grind for chili or tacos (this is pork, not beef)

4ehxHzt.jpg

As to your patties that were soft, floppy and hard to form: Your meat should be firm out of the grinder, and pretty easy to form. Did you use icy meat? And was this a single or double grind, and what size plate? Did you keep the meat cold after grinding?

If you go 100 percent brisket, you may need to trim the fat aggressively. I do a whole I trimmed brisket with 1 lean sirloin. The result was perfect. Not to much shrinking and taste was amazing. It had the beefy taste of sirloin and buttery taste of brisket.

Back