Camarones Al Diabla, Scallops With Grilled Peppers, Cook In Progress

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Well, it was Shawn's birthday yesterday and we asked what he wanted us to cook for him. Seafood! So. I had always wanted to make the Devil's shrimp and this proved to be the perfect opportunity. I found a simple recipe here: http://www.lacocinadeleslie.com/2009/06/camarones-la-diabla.html and modified it a little bit.

I cut up seven Romas, about a quarter sweet onion, a package of green onions, minced five cloves of garlic, and rehydrated three Arbol and two Guajillo chilis in two cups of water with the maters. Added a little salt, three chipotles with about a tablespoon of the adobo sauce, and a squirt of lime juice. Brought that to a boil while sauteeing the onions and garlic in the butter and olive oil. Added those to the peppers and maters and took off the heat to let sit for an hour when it was pureed in a blender. This went back into the pot on simmer and reduced to about two thirds.

I also sliced red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers and marinated in some olive oil and Cavender's Greek Seasoning. Couple bunches of asparagus were also marinated in some olive oil, a little salt and pepper and lemon juice.

The shrimp are marinating for a little in olive oil, lime juice and s&p.
The scallops will be brushed with olive oil and dusted with s&p and some lemon pepper. So, all fairly simple. Redhot is making some crab wonton cups (Cream cheese, lump crab, chopped green onion and bread crumbs to fill wontons pressed into mini muffin pans). Those will be done in the oven, but everything else is for the grill.

Some pics so far.

These:

peppers_zps0224abd4.jpg

peppers1_zpscdbd9d67.jpg

peppers3_zps4704fe5b.jpg

peppers2_zps52cbd6e8.jpg

Became this:

diablo_zps2a065038.jpg

Didn't get a pic of the green onions. Y'all know what those look like, right? :becky:

peppers4_zpsad1fd010.jpg

peppers5_zps2c0f0242.jpg

Check in later for updates, so this is an official tease. :thumb:

That holds my attention too That lookjs and sounds Great Looking forward to the finished product Wished I lived closer I think he wanted scallops last year too

(DeNiro in Fokkers - 2 fingers from the eyes)

"I'll be watching you...."
looks promising- but- "Where's the meat?"
Mad photo skilz.. dslr and some I guess..

(DeNiro in Fokkers - 2 fingers from the eyes)

"I'll be watching you...."
looks promising- but- "Where's the meat?"
Mad photo skilz.. dslr and some I guess..

Thanks! Yes, it's a Nikon D5100. Using an 18~55 mm lens. Set to macro for most of these shots. Had to recharge the battery. So...

Shrimp
shrimp_zps790adb69.jpg

And giving the scallops a good coating of olive oil before dusting with the salt, pepper and lemon pepper.

scallops_zps95caae8b.jpg

OK. Rice is cooked and now sitting so time to start the kettle.

The rice we've become addicted to lately is Hinode brand whole grain black rice grown in Thailand. If you haven't tried it, you may want to. It comes in this packaging:

00070787473328_full.jpg

Back