Fresh Pork Belly

Okie Sawbones

Banned
Reaction score
I decided to try my hand at fresh pork belly for sliders. I sprayed the skin side of the belly with canola oil. I injected it with my hog injection (a mix of vinegar, apple juice, salt, MSG). I put a VERY small amount of prepared mustard on the meat side, then coated it well with Plowboys Yardbird rub.

a_zps49dc0c7a.jpg

On to the smoker it went at 275 degrees for 4 hours, using apple wood for accent. Next I added a cup of apple juice to the pan. Then I wrapped it and cooked it at 275 degrees for 4 more hours. It was now 207 degrees, and probe tender.

aa_zpsf7333974.jpg

I basted the belly with my hog glaze (a mix of vinegar, apple jelly, corn syrup, hot sauce) and put it back on the smoker for 30 more minutes to let it all come together. Then I let it rest for 30 minutes. You can't see it too well in the picture, but a LOT of fat rendered out.

aaaa_zps3052b815.jpg

Then I gloved up and went to pulling, just like a pork butt. The membrane and skin easily peeled off. The meat was well done but not mushy. Maybe 3.5 hours on the wrap next time instead of 4 hours. The wife made home-made slider rolls which were to die for, and she also made a terrific Southern potato salad.

aaaaa_zpsbaf684d9.jpg

Not too bad for a first effort. The meat was absolutely delicious. I am headed back to the butcher for more pork bellies to freeze. I'm sold!

Back