MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed
Smile I think I've found it... No More rubbery Skin??

Soooo, been playing around with some new ways (to me) of eliminating that damn rubbery sweat-band skin on chicken thighs...

And I think I've hit it! Best results I've had yet!

I know that there are others out there that have discovered the trick so I am going to post a few pics to prove that the skin on my thighs is literally "bite tender" and I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts on what I did to make it so...

I want to know: Based on the pics, does the skin on these look comp worthy?

Here's the break down:

These thighs smoked for 4 1/2 hours on the traeger between 175 - 195* (it's 14* outside, I was doing good to keep it that high without going too high)

I used an ingredient and a process to get this right. The skin is not crispy like a grilled or finished "hot" thigh.

The thighs came out @ a max temp of 155*

The meat was like butter and slightly pinkish red inside. Exactly like you expect it to be when it's it's been done slo & lo.

In most cases the meat actually had more tooth or pull than the skin did.

All of the bites shown are a single bite, I purposely DID NOT try to clean up the bite to look better, I want an honest opinion!

There is no sauce or glaze on these thighs. Only the "process" and an ocasional shot of spritz, about 4 times, of ACV, honey, soy sauce & EVOO.

Here's the pics! I'm almost positive that my dentist could pick my bite out of a line up based on these pics alone.

3 together just to show that it wasn't a fluke.

I need to work on flavors a bit, they were pretty good, but not incredible like they need to be. I expiremented with a few different combinations, some were close, but need to be tweeked.

Thanks for looking!!!

Please give me your BRUTALY honest feedback! Judges aren't kind and I don't expect you to be either!!

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

looks sexy to me
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #3
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice!!
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #4
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks good and you did not use muffin tins!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
NorthwestBBQ

Ryan, nice "bite-through" skin!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 01:10 AM   #6
infernooo
On the road to being a farker

Want crispy skin? Here is how it is done by one of the teams who perform very well in chicken category: http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/...n-chicken.html
infernooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
nolaman
is one Smokin' Farker

Can't give you an expert opinion, never done comps. before. But they look good enough to eat!
nolaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 01:20 AM   #8
MoGreen
On the road to being a farker

Looks great! What is ACV? I've got to know!
MoGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGreen View Post
Looks great! What is ACV? I've got to know!
ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar!

Old 12-27-2009, 01:28 AM   #10
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
Ryan, what you have there is "bite-through" skin, It's still rubbery but not crisp. May I suggest a high heat finish over the coals?

Hmm, I can positively say that I don't think it's rubbery at all... When I think rubbery, I picture not quite done floppy bacon... this is very tender skin that disolves into the bite of chicken so that all you get is the flavor of the rub and the mostly rendered fat of the skin...

Like I said, it's not crisp, but it's tender enough that all you notice is that it's so tender that you didn't have to try to bite through it... I'm afraid that if I tried to hit it with high heat I would burn the sugars in the rub... besides, WHAT FREAKIN COALS WOULD I USE IN MY PELLET POOPER???!! It chits rabbit food for god's sake!!!

Besides, don't judges automatically think that if your skin is crispy that you either: 1) served them grilled chicken or 2) cranked the heat up, crossed your fingers and hoped that the skin would turn out way less rubbery than I actually was/is??

Sled, I want to have your baby. If that were physically possible. And I didin't have to take it in the Boo-Tay in order to make it happen.
All the gay stuff aside, I would carry it for 9 months and then break water in the front seat of your car.

It seems like I've probably gone too far... again. I'm partially sorry. That is to say, I almost feel regret. For not having said this sooner.

Keep it commin peeps! I need more!!

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz

Old 12-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #11
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Hmm, I can positively say that I don't think it's rubbery at all... When I think rubbery, I picture not quite done floppy bacon... this is very tender skin that disolves into the bite of chicken so that all you get is the flavor of the rub and the mostly rendered fat of the skin...

Like I said, it's not crisp, but it's tender enough that all you notice is that it's so tender that you didn't have to try to bite through it... I'm afraid that if I tried to hit it with high heat I would burn the sugars in the rub... besides, WHAT FREAKIN COALS WOULD I USE IN MY PELLET POOPER???!! It chits rabbit food for god's sake!!!

Besides, don't judges automatically think that if your skin is crispy that you either: 1) served them grilled chicken or 2) cranked the heat up, crossed your fingers and hoped that the skin would turn out way less rubbery than I actually was/is??

Sled, I want to have your baby. If that were physically possible. And I didin't have to take it in the Boo-Tay in order to make it happen.
All the gay stuff aside, I would carry it for 9 months and then break water in the front seat of your car.

It seems like I've probably gone too far... again. I'm partially sorry. That is to say, I almost feel regret. For not having said this sooner.

Keep it commin peeps! I need more!!
Wait son, I edited my post. I realized the errors of my ways! HO, HO, HO!

Next time, can you wait until until you get the chix off the grill before you start chowing down?

Edit: You can quote me now.

Last edited by NorthwestBBQ; 12-27-2009 at 01:55 AM..

Old 12-27-2009, 01:52 AM   #12
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernooo View Post
Want crispy skin? Here is how it is done by one of the teams who perform very well in chicken category: http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/...n-chicken.html
Great link! Thanks, I'll be looking over all the suggestions there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
Wait son, I edited my post. I realized the errors of my ways! HO, HO, HO!

Next time, can you wait until until you get the chix off the grill before you start chowing down?

Edit: Now you can quote me.
As I was posting the pics, I was thinking, "man, NOBODY likes to see half eatten food, why the crap am I posting this??" Then I realized I didn't care and clicked submit. BTW - I waited 15 min before chowing into the 2nd batch just to see how they would be when the judges tried em'. so there.

"And I quote, "you can quote me on that." Unquote"

Old 12-27-2009, 02:04 AM   #13
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Great link! Thanks, I'll be looking over all the suggestions there!

As I was posting the pics, I was thinking, "man, NOBODY likes to see half eatten food, why the crap am I posting this??" Then I realized I didn't care and clicked submit. BTW - I waited 15 min before chowing into the 2nd batch just to see how they would be when the judges tried em'. so there.

"And I quote, "you can quote me on that." Unquote"
Did you burn any face hair off like "Mondo" in blazing saddles?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:13 AM   #14
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Thats a great way to keep all the thighs to yourself. Just take a bite from each one. They do look real good!

Old 12-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #15
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
Thats a great way to keep all the thighs to yourself. Just take a bite from each one. They do look real good!
Not neccessarily around me! I'd hit that, but I'd turn it around to the other side! Nice grub.

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote