Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Priase the Lard Murphysboro, Ill. Cookoff 9/24-26

stlgreg

Take a breath!
Reaction score
We are going to be there. We are hoping to get there on Thursday this year.

Dual sanctioning contest - we are doing just the KCBS side.

If I could only go to one contest during the year this would be the one. After you go there once, you will see why. I plan on being there Thursday morning this year and staying till Sunday. This contest is like Sunday morning on the Food Network & Travel Channel. As a bonus they are going to be filming anonther segment of the Fabulous Seven at Murphysboro. We are going to be cooking both the KCBS & MBN and can not wait. I just love those MBN contest. With the them this year of "Praise the Lard" there may be some good old tent preachin happening this year.

"If I could only go to one contest during the year this would be the one."

I couldn't agree more.
We've been looking forward to this one all year.
BIG O' DANG O' BBQ will be there.......

We got new mods to the smoker and a brand new Stoker....you better all look out this year. :lol:

being the reigning champ has to make it nice also. we can't get there till noonish (i hope) on friday. it is a great contest.

Anybody want to bet on if it rains or not????
I'm going with yes.....It'll be 3 yrs in a row.

i have to say yes. after last year i went home and put a roof on my trailer. i had to sit by the smokers all night and feed them and still had fun.

man how could you bet it wouldnt rain!

Ques your Daddy will be there. And yea, will probably rain again, Stood in the running water at our feet, holding the easy up down, keeping the drunks out of our porta potty, weird turn in times, Doc gripin all the time, ( tell me again why we do this?)
Was a nice cook lol

What are the turn in times for this event? Don't they combine them with the MBN turn ins?

yeah they are bit oddball.

Chicken 10:40
Pork 11:40
Ribs 1:10
Brikset 2:10

Be careful turning in your food, the on site MBN judges head out at the same time. My wife said she was almost taken out twice by eager judges.

I will be judging the KCBS portion of the event. Looking forward to tasting some of the BBQ from this area of the country.

i talked to Mike Mills sunday. he was catering an art and wine festival at Carlyle Lake. he said the contest is full. there are 50 teams entered. he was really encoraging us to try the Memphis portion of the contest. he said once you get over that first time you'll love it. alot of the teams are doing both. me and the kids had a bout ten pulled pork sammi's. Mike told my youngest daughter she sure eats alot of pulled pork, and that he eats about 12 a day. she got a big kick out of that. he's a great guy. the pork was killer and i wish i had that catering trailer. i can hardly wait.

Had to pick my kids car up at SLU for some repairs and took the opporunity to eat at Pappy's Smokehouse. talked to Skip Steele for awhile because we got there at 10:30 and he said he was cooking at Murphysboro. this is going to be quite the competition. By the way Pappy's is excellent if you're in the area. i have had some fine pork in the last three days, 17th Street and Pappy's. life is good.

Back