MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Default Rubbery chicken skin. Need help

Well, I finally did chicken yesterday and it came out pretty good. Breasts were very juicy and had a great flavor. Thighs and wings came out just as good. Only problem was the skin was very rubbery. I didn't defat the skin prior to cooking, I just washed, rubbed and put on the WSM. Cooked at about 250 for about 4 hours. I didn't sauce them at all.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
nthole
Babbling Farker

One trick I picked up recently is to use one of those piercy thingys, not sure what they're called. If you can peel back the skin you lay it on the cutting board and hit it a couple times with this tool (which is like 100 little needle slits). I've tried chicken a couple times with this and was very pleased with the results. I think it's partially because the skin is a bit pre-pierced that makes it more bite through, but I think the holes also let a little bit more moisture out so the skin gets crispier.

Another thing I started doing was bumping the temp up a bit for chicken. Low and slow is great for ribs, but crap for chicken skin. I've been pushing 275 to 300 now for chicken and am much happier with the results.

Just my $.02.

edited to add:
Found what I was talking about.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Deni-Meat-Tender...QQcmdZViewItem
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.

Last edited by nthole; 09-23-2007 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: found tool
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

finish them at a higher temp to crisp up the skin. a few minutes at 325-375 will help.

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I did a search and found a discussion about this exact topic one week ago. The search was done on "rubbery chicken skin". It was the second thread listed, your present thread was the first. Here is the URL of the other thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=31599

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

Up the temps at the end.

Or fire up your little Smokey Joe and transfer them onto it at the end to get the skin crispy.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
MAsQue
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
One trick I picked up recently is to use one of those piercy thingys, not sure what they're called.
When I was still in the restaurant business, we used to call them Jaccards, after the company that made them. They come in all sizes from hand-held up to table mounted. They will tenderize the living bejesus out of anything.

Ma's 'Que Crew BBQ Team
Ma's BBQ and Catering
"Texas BBQ" propane tank stick burner
Brinkman Cimmaron
CBJ #6502
MAsQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 04:39 PM   #7
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

Higher temps usually do the trick.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

I did some chicken breasts tonight, and even thought they were moist as all get out (brined) and smoked at 325, the skin was soft. I crisped them up on the grill which presents another question:

If you crisp the skin on the grill, what do you do with the grill marks? Rotate for a cross hatch? Don't rotate for a symmetrical look? Cover with sauce?

@*%&&*(@ - Should have made a poll!
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

I hadn't tried it with the Jacard yet but bought one the other day for the sole purpose of chicken prepping. I'll try it with my next cook and see if it turns out as good.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 10:48 PM   #10
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you are doing it on the BSKD or Bandera pull the water pan if you use one, and add some fuel to bring the heat up after you move the chicken down to the bottom grate.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

Default My 2 cents

It's been at least a couple of years ago and this topic came up and I saw a discussion on I believe the Big Green Egg board. Somebody there suggested using corn starch. I have used it several times. I have dusted the chicken in corn starch and then put on the rub and then dusted after the rub. The skin does not come out like fried chicken crisp but is a lot better and the cornstarch does not mess with flavor, at least for me.

Rick
ricksegers is offline   Reply With Quote