MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
Tsevg9
On the road to being a farker

Oh man! That's going to be a sweet freaking smoker.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
grubby
Knows what a fatty is.

Keep us updated. I can not wait to see the final product.
grubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok, after much aggrivation and a little home re-wiring, I finally got a set up to where my stick welder doesn't blow the breaker every time I touch it to the tank.

Now, the issue is the welding itself. The stick sparkrs and "melts" away, but there is no weld left behind. I have tried many different power settings, including the highest. Can this be because of cheap sticks i bought at harbor freight? I think i'm going to stop at Home Depot tomorrow after work and pick up some different ones to try.

This is my first time welding, so I don't know for sure if that's the issue or not, but we'll see. Should have some pics tomorrow night.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
kylefisk
Got Wood.

This is cool. I've never actually seen one of these tanks but I like where you are going with it

Old 06-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean "Puffy" Coals View Post
Ok, after much aggrivation and a little home re-wiring, I finally got a set up to where my stick welder doesn't blow the breaker every time I touch it to the tank.

Now, the issue is the welding itself. The stick sparkrs and "melts" away, but there is no weld left behind. I have tried many different power settings, including the highest. Can this be because of cheap sticks i bought at harbor freight? I think i'm going to stop at Home Depot tomorrow after work and pick up some different ones to try.

This is my first time welding, so I don't know for sure if that's the issue or not, but we'll see. Should have some pics tomorrow night.
Sounds like dirty metal and/or bad ground. You have to make sure that all metal being welded is ground to bare metal and clean. Also make sure the metal where you attach the ground clamp to is bare and clean.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Those tank are very thin and rust out. They good for a short term smoker , just don't invest lot of money in it.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #22
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

BTW need a mig to weld them with
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #23
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Sounds like dirty metal and/or bad ground. You have to make sure that all metal being welded is ground to bare metal and clean. Also make sure the metal where you attach the ground clamp to is bare and clean.
Ground should be good- I ground down a spot on the tank leg with an angle grinder to bare metal. I thought I cleaned the weld area well enough between sand paper and angle grinding. I will see what more I can get off tomorrow and report on the results.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 06-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

Yeah, like jestridge said, it's too thin to stick weld. It's like welding a muffler, get a MIG welder.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #25
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking forward to your build. Keep the pics comming

Old 06-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

OK, so due to the damn rain and some difficulties with my welding equipment, I haven't been able to make any progress on the build. I did however make a few design changes:

1) I relocated the fire box to directly underneath the cooking chamber. This just seemed to make more sense and will be much easier to fabricate the transfer tube without all the awkward angles.

2) I changed the doors to the cooking chamber from vertical opening to lateral opening. This will eliminate the need for a counter-weight system or pneumatic type opening cylinders. Being that this thing will be around 6ft tall, not including the stacks, it will be much easier to open and close without having to reach up over my head.

3) I changed the door and intakes on the firebox from a traditional hinged door to an integrated system where the coal/wood basket and air intakes are attached to the firebox door. There will be a gasket around the door and a set of lever locks to keep it closed tightly. The intakes will consist of a pair of 3" iron pipes with notches on the protruding ends. Flow will be controlled by screwing/unscrewing a pipe cap. The pipes will be cut in half where they run under the basket, providing a even burn. I may have an additional intake at the back of the firebox in case I need to get temps even higher.

I plan to have some kind of baffle where the smoke transfer tube enters the cooking chamber, but I haven't quite worked it out yet. It may be as simple as a piece of plate steel on a pivot.

So. There it is. Hopefully I'll get some decent weather soon and I can get on with the build.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

The slide out firebox is the bomb, except on windy days. I did the same thing on my Bandera, so easy to deal with.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #28
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Well, the damn weather still isn't cooperating. Every time I tried to go work on the tank it's either raining or too hot and muggy to comfortably wear my safety gear.

So I decided to drag all my tools and junk into the basement and start work on the fire drum, err box.

Smoke transfer tube opening laid out.

And cut out.

I found a bed frame at the scrap yard to use for the rails. First I have to remove the rivets from the hinged cross members.

I ground off one end of the rivet with the angle grinder and popped it out with the welding hammer.

I cut the rails to length, or rather I tried to. I don't know what bed frames are made of, but it ruined 3 metal cutting blades.

I eventually put a cut off disk on my angle grinder and that seemed to work much better.

I laid out the hole in the drum lid for the basket to slide thru.

And cut it out with the jig saw. Then I cut 2 pieces of 1.5 x 1/8 flat steel and bent the ends to support the end of the rails.

Here's everything mocked-up.

I need to tweek the length of the support bars so that the rails sit out further toward the edges.

I'm going to bring home some pallets from work tomorrow and burn out the liner over the weekend (hopefully). Once I clean out the ashes, I'm going to start welding it together.

I have 2 pieces of sheet steel- I'm planning to use the bigger one to fabricate the smoke transfer tube and the smaller one to make the front of the pull-out basket.

I also think I'm going to get some small angle iron to reinforce and square up the drum lid so it seals better and is more sturdy.

I'll post more pics when I get more done, but don't hold your breath! At this rate, the rig will be ready to fire up just in time for my funeral.

Thanks for looking!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #29
Armadillo
On the road to being a farker

Nothing like building your own makes you become one with the Q

Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #30
davefan360
Take a breath!

Based On my math your tank is 275 gallons. Good luck on your build. It looks good so far.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
build, oil tank, smoker