MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up 275 Gal Oil Tank Build (pron)

I was finally able to get a hold of a 275 gallon fuel oil tank for my next build: $90 delivered to my house from a guy who lives 45 minutes away... sounded like a great deal to me!

For the past week or so I have been thinking/planning how I'm going to build this- at first I was thinking about laying it flat side down, but decided it would just be too big.

Then I thought about how to make doors that would reduce heat loss when I open them. I thought about sliding closet type doors that go in front/behind each other, but that would restrict my ability to have pull out cooking grates.

In the end I decided to go with a pretty traditional approach:

Sorry about the pic size, I couldn't shrink them without losing quality.

I plan to have:
- A 2' drain with shut off in the bottom for cleaning- I used a smaller one in my UDS, but it clogs way too easy.

-Full length work table on the front, which may or may not drop down.

-Full length handle (not pictured) on the end with the swivel casters.

-Large sand/water pan which I may end up fabbing a vented lid for to slow the water loss to steam/evap

-A 55 gallon drum with slide out coal basket for the fire box. I'm thinking about keeping the head of the drum removable for easy cleaning

-At least 3 cooking levels that can pull out for easy access. Build out of angle iron and expanded steel

-Vertically opening doors, which if i do the hinges right, won't need counter weights

That's all i got for right now. I'll update if the design changes. This is going to be a long project for me- first time welding and building anything of this size. It will definitely be a fun project!

Thanks for reading!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

cool... cool cool... meanwhile my 275 tanks sits idle in my backyard. Cool design.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I was told the 55 gallon drum would be to thin for Fire Box??? Might want to check into it. I think it looks awesome though!!
JandJbuidasmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandJbuidasmoker View Post
I was told the 55 gallon drum would be to thin for Fire Box??? Might want to check into it. I think it looks awesome though!!
Yeah, I heard the same thing. Looking into lining it with fire bricks or something.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

OMG I would love to find one of those!! Nice design.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm having some doubts about the actual volume of the tank- I've seen them described as 275 gallon, 250 gallon, 200 gallon... I need to know the actual volume for the calculator I'm using.

The tank measures 44" high, 27" deep and 60" long. Can anyone say with 100% certainty that this IS a 275 gallon tank? If I'm wrong it will seriously skew my calculations.

I looked all over the tank- found a tag with manufaturer's info, but no size listed on it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...KqcL1kOx3U1lPg

275gallon, 100%

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
dwfisk

Name/Nickname : Dave

Neat design, I look forward to seeing it come together. Just a thought: if you think you might want to do a whole hog, 2 doors can be a problem. I built my rig with a single 50" door on a 72 inch tank; no counter weights (yet) and it's not to heavy. I've done +50# whole hogs and think i can fit up to 80# in mine. Just something to consider.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
captndan

Hey Marty, Go over to ENC. There is an oil tank pig cooker behind every single wide.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
smokinrack
On the road to being a farker

Hi guys im new here but have been reading the forums for awhile now. We built one of these last summer except laid it flat and went with one big rack and a big rotisserie in it. The barrel will work as a firebox but I found on ours anyway in bad weather rain, high winds an d temps dropping it wasnt insulated enough to hold temp without fighting it the whole time. Personally im planning to cut the barrel off and go with a heavier box thats hopefully less maintenance on long overnight cooks in bad weather.
smokinrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinrack View Post
Hi guys im new here but have been reading the forums for awhile now. We built one of these last summer except laid it flat and went with one big rack and a big rotisserie in it. The barrel will work as a firebox but I found on ours anyway in bad weather rain, high winds an d temps dropping it wasnt insulated enough to hold temp without fighting it the whole time. Personally im planning to cut the barrel off and go with a heavier box thats hopefully less maintenance on long overnight cooks in bad weather.
Welcome!

At first I considered laying it flat too. I figured I could mount the drum I'm using for the firebox directly underneath, but I'm actually gaining quite a bit of cooking space by going vertical with 3 levels as opposed to one (3744 sq inches versus 2494 sq inches). Also, I thought the doors would be easier to cut/mount.

I'm also considering digging up an 85 gallon drum to house the inner 55 gallon and stuffing the gap with insulation. Haven't quite figured out how it's going to work, just an idea. Also, depends on the price.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Neat design, I look forward to seeing it come together. Just a thought: if you think you might want to do a whole hog, 2 doors can be a problem. I built my rig with a single 50" door on a 72 inch tank; no counter weights (yet) and it's not to heavy. I've done +50# whole hogs and think i can fit up to 80# in mine. Just something to consider.
Good point, however one goal of my design was to minimize heat loss while the door was open. I would think one big door would allow more heat to escape. Plus, I don't see myself ever doing a whole hog. And if I do, it's a good excuse to build another pit!

Old 06-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

It. Has. Begun. ....Finally!

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Coolness! Lookin forward to the build.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Looking forward to seeing this build. Seems as though you started with the proper planning needed to pull it off, keep up the good work.

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
build, oil tank, smoker