MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default Rib picture - Perfect 180

Here's a pic of a box of 180 perfect score ribs from the American Royal in 2003. Pretty!

BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 08:13 PM   #2
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default RE: Rib picture - Perfect 180

I wonder how it would score now with the change in the judging rules. Back then it was 9 and work your way down. And I don't see anything there that would bring that score down. Now it's start at 6 and work you're way up or down. Is it still a 9? Maybe. I'd have to see it in 3D. From the pic, it's an 8. Why? side ribs look dry and the one on the left looks to have a layer of fat or the membrane still attached. The lettuce gets a 9.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default RE: Rib picture - Perfect 180

Lettuce 9! Yeah, ain't that a kicker. Magic Lettuce gets you a 9 and great meat "maybe" 8!! I love magic lettuce. I'll be SO glad when garnish goes away! Until then I continue the search for the magic lettuce patch.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 08:21 PM   #4
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Re: RE: Rib picture - Perfect 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
Lettuce 9! Yeah, ain't that a kicker. Magic Lettuce gets you a 9 and great meat "maybe" 8!! I love magic lettuce. I'll be SO glad when garnish goes away! Until then I continue the search for the magic lettuce patch.
bet ya lettuce never goes away in the KCBS--but remember there is nothing in the rules that says ya gotta put the green stuff in the box!

Buzz
2fat bikers bbq
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim
Default Re: RE: Rib picture - Perfect 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
I wonder how it would score now with the change in the judging rules. Back then it was 9 and work your way down. And I don't see anything there that would bring that score down. Now it's start at 6 and work you're way up or down. Is it still a 9? Maybe. I'd have to see it in 3D. From the pic, it's an 8. Why? side ribs look dry and the one on the left looks to have a layer of fat or the membrane still attached. The lettuce gets a 9.
Too close to tell from a pic.
As to garnish--sticking out of box in a couple of areas--no big deal.

Looking at the knife-work, excellent! Center peices appear to have come "in order" from one slab. Almost identical sizes on the width.
Clean cuts with no ragged edges.
If they "bit off the bone"--Championship Quality for sure for texture/tenderness.

Taste? It is a pic--gotta trust the judges there

Obviously, a "PRO" did this great looking entry

TIM

Old 08-08-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
Jeff_in_KC

Default RE: Re: RE: Rib picture - Perfect 180

So judges are told not to score based on whether there's lettuce in the box or not? It seems to me that turn-ins are a lot better looking with it. If I were judging on appearance, I'd be more attracted to the look of a box with good meat resting on nice looking lettuce. Why would you NOT want it? I've heard this before but with no reasoning except that it's one more thing to worry about.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Rib picture - Perfect 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
So judges are told not to score based on whether there's lettuce in the box or not? It seems to me that turn-ins are a lot better looking with it. If I were judging on appearance, I'd be more attracted to the look of a box with good meat resting on nice looking lettuce. Why would you NOT want it? I've heard this before but with no reasoning except that it's one more thing to worry about.
Look out GrassHopper--hot button topic here

It is a Farkin meat contest--not a veggie dressing contest!

Everyone else can elaborate (and they will, I am sure)

TIM

Old 08-08-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Rib picture - Perfect 180

Jeff - Download the judges and cooks packets from the KCBS site. You need to know the rules inside and out BEFORE you start competing.

As for garnish, I like it. It makes the meat look better and it holds it in place for the presentation. I know it's called appearence, but in reality, the judges look at the box for maybe 15-30 seconds. It's really not long enough. If we're to judge the meat only on appearence, the judge should be allowed to remove the meat from the box and actually examine it, IMHO.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:49 PM   #9
Arlin_MacRae

Brooklyn, those are the meatiest, most solid ribs I've ever seen. I'm sure that has something to do with it, no? Meat selection?

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 08:50 PM   #10
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

That box belongs to Darren & Sherry Warth of Smokin' Clones BBQ. 2003 was Darren's first serious year at competing. He finished in the top five at the AR Open, but I can't remember the exact place.

As for the garnish topic, the use of lettuce and parsley in the box is what separates KCBS competition from other sanctioning bodies. I am a strong proponent of garnish. If the membership votes to do away with it, then I'll compete without it. However, as it's been said here, garnish is optional. The judges are instructed to judge the meat, not the greens. But, as someone else here said, the meat sure looks better laying on a nice bed of good looking greens. We eat with our eyes first. In my opinion, if a judge give you a 9 or 8 in appearance, it's harder to give you a lower score in taste or tenderness, unless you give them good cause.

Rod

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #11
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Rib picture - Perfect 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
Brooklyn, those are the meatiest, most solid ribs I've ever seen. I'm sure that has something to do with it, no? Meat selection?
I'm not sure what you're asking.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:02 PM   #12
Arlin_MacRae

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Rib picture - Perfect 180

Well, do you not look for the best cut when you're buying? I'm such a noob I'm not sure I could pick the right ones to even cook for a comp!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 09:03 PM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Rib picture - Perfect 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
I'm not sure what you're asking.
Arlin is dead on. Quality meat for competetion is hard to come by in some areas. A WallyWorld slab of ribs will never (probably) produce any results like that

That is why we shop hard for suppliers that have the right stuff to consistantly produce quality product.

And--Rod--I understand the garnish thing from the other side--for sure
It is pretty and it does seperate the pros from the "wanna be's".
Just another element or discriminator to the mix.

What ever the rules are, we will do it to the best of our ability.
Just hate to buy 5 friggin' heads of lettuce and then eat salad for a week

TIM

Old 08-08-2005, 09:08 PM   #14
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

Arlin,

Those are Premium Standard Farms 2.5 and down loin back ribs. Unfortunately, PSF has a new national contract with OutBack Steakhouse and every slab of loin back ribs over 2 lbs. goes to them. I'm afraid those ribs might be gone forever.

Darren and I have discussed it at length. He will tell you that he can narrow down to two slabs of the six he cooks which ones he will put in the box before he cooks them. I disagree. We taste a rib from each of our six slabs because they vary in taste and tenderness. So, you could say that Darren thinks selecting the right ribs are super important, while I think it's a good start, but it's more important how they end up.

Rod

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #15
BrooklynQ
Banned

Arlin - yeah you look for the best.

In one of the BBQ books I've read - I think it was Paul Kirk's, he recommended that when you want to start competing, you make good friends with a butcher. Tell him what you need the meat for and convince him to let you look thru his supply. Might take some doing, or some free BBQ, but convince him. When I was picking up the briskets for the Jersey competetion, the butcher and I looked thru 20 racks of ribs. He had some nice stuff, but Phil had already bought them.

Don't rely on the cryovaced stuff.

But to be honest, the stuff that Costco sells is usually pretty damn good.