MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Hozman
Take a breath!

Question Do I change past practice using UDS

For the last 3 years I have smoked turkeys for friends/co-workers for their thanksgiving. In the past I have always used my monster stick burner, adding wood every 15-20 minutes and freezing my butt off.

Specific to the turkeys I have always brined them 24 hrs, then wrap them in cheese cloth soaked in garlic butter until turkey hits about 140 then removed cheese cloth to allow the turkey skin to crisp just a little. In that process about every hour I would baste with more butter.

So now I have the UDS and thought how nice it would be to not have to freeze and go outside continuously. However I see a problem with basting every hr with UDS as well as opening it up to remove the cheese cloth or is it?

Do guys who have smoked on UDS just smoke bird without doing of the above? Does it come out super dark looking? Just looking for input.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

yes, very dark. I've smoke about 3 on my UDS.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
BroBBQButcher
Knows what a fatty is.

I did one this weekend. Brined 12 hours, let dry for 6 and coated it with a Tony Creoles butter mix. I recoated at the 2 hour mark. Ramped the UDS up to 325 and it was done in three hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg done.jpg (47.4 KB, 63 views)
BroBBQButcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

I always grill mine on the OTG.

Indirect at 375-400.

Great skin.
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote