Holding finished butt IN the BGE for extended periods?

onlyinmoderation

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

All the advice for holding a pork butt suggest foiling, toweling and dropping in a cooler...is there any reason why I can't just drop my smoker (BGE) temp to say 195 and let it cruise for a few additional hours at that temp? If I need to stretch the hold time on an overnight smoke to 6 hours (done at 9am to eat at 3pm), I'd rather just keep it in the BGE for an additional 4 hours and foil for 2 rather than fussing with hot bricks (etc.) in a cooler.

Would that make sense or would the extended cook time at 195 (180?) dry out the meet or turn it to mush?

Thanks!
Mike

If you could get the BGE down to the proper temp it would work. However, due to how well the BGE holds a temp, it's going to take hour(s) to get the temp down to that proper temp after cooking @ 225 + for hours. My fear would be by the time the BGE gets to that temp you would have over cooked the butt.

That's a good point. I do have a BBQ Guru and was thinking I could sloooooowly take it down from a 225F cook to 210F when the meet hit ~190F IT...then it would be a smaller step down to 200, then 195...

Foil once the butt is done. Then hold in cooler or oven at lowest temp 175 F. The cooler and towels will keep it hot for 6-8 hrs if wrapped properly.

Foil once the butt is done. Then hold in cooler or oven at lowest temp 175 F. The cooler and towels will keep it hot for 6-8 hrs if wrapped properly.

I am doing this as we speak.

I have an Egg and tried what you suggested once. I won't do it again. Meat got overcooked and dried out.

Keep a thermometer in the butt while it's in the cooler. If the temp drops below 160, put it in the oven at 160, or whatever the lowest setting is, and pull right before serving. Works like a charm.

Back