MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #31
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on the fairly minimal smoke ring? Is this a function of the process, or perhaps attributed to the type of wood used?

There are several things that will effect the smoke ring.

* Salts/nitrates in your rub
* Time in the smoke

I have gotten plenty of good smoke rings cooking at 300+ degrees. I apply the rubs to my meats as the pit is coming up to temp and these are smoke rings I have gotten on different cuts of meat.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #32
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good to me!

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #33
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

For better smoke ring formation keep the meat in the fridge till you toss it in the cooker. Start at a lower temp for first hour or so, like 250F, then ramp up the temps for the remainder of the cook to 300-325. I've never failed to get a great smoke ring doing it like this.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #34
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
There are several things that will effect the smoke ring.

* Salts/nitrates in your rub
* Time in the smoke

I have gotten plenty of good smoke rings cooking at 300+ degrees. I apply the rubs to my meats as the pit is coming up to temp and these are smoke rings I have gotten on different cuts of meat.

Good gracious that is some spectacular looking brisket. Bravo my friend!

I usually apply my rubs the night before and let it get all happy in the fridge over night. On the cook Monday I did as you describe.

Now when you say "salt & nitrates" does more of those promote a more profound smoke ring or less?
Damn True is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #35
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

What aawa is talking about is how you you can get a smoke ring with something like tenderquick.

Of course you know a smoke ring isn't necessarily indicative of smoke flavor but rather the nitric dioxide in the smoke and moisture in the meat. When i do get a good smoke ring i'm always happy because i know it was done the old fashioned way...no cheating.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #36
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
What aawa is talking about is how you you can get a smoke ring with something like tenderquick.

Of course you know a smoke ring isn't necessarily indicative of smoke flavor but rather the nitric dioxide in the smoke and moisture in the meat. When i do get a good smoke ring i'm always happy because i know it was done the old fashioned way...no cheating.
I get that. Just trying to understand why it does or does not appear in a profound way.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #37
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post

You can use tenderquick or other nitrates to help create a smoke ring, but what I was talking about is that the amount of salts in your rub can help form smoke rings. Sorry if I was unclear about that.

I have never used tenderquick or any other agent to create a smoke ring. All the smoke rings you see in my pictures are produced by the rub (typically 1 part salt, 1 part pepper, 1/4 part garlic powder by volume) heat provided by charcoal, and smoke provided by wood.

As pointed out though in this thread, you can help the production along of a smoke ring by going from the fridge right to the smoker, put your meat on at a lower temperature and then ramp up the temperature later, use more salt in your rub, use nitrates such as tenderquick in your rub.

My process for things going into the smoker. Get fire started, trim and rub, put on smoker when I get thin blue (normally around 250-275 degrees) and let the smoker climb to 300-325, I don't hold the smoker at 250-275, I just let it keep climbing till it gets to 300-325. I normally will go nekkid on everything I smoke unless the color gets too dark (but most of the time I don't have to wrap)

Old 10-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #38
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Good job!
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #39
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
You can use tenderquick or other nitrates to help create a smoke ring, but what I was talking about is that the amount of salts in your rub can help form smoke rings. Sorry if I was unclear about that.

I have never used tenderquick or any other agent to create a smoke ring. All the smoke rings you see in my pictures are produced by the rub (typically 1 part salt, 1 part pepper, 1/4 part garlic powder by volume) heat provided by charcoal, and smoke provided by wood.

As pointed out though in this thread, you can help the production along of a smoke ring by going from the fridge right to the smoker, put your meat on at a lower temperature and then ramp up the temperature later, use more salt in your rub, use nitrates such as tenderquick in your rub.

My process for things going into the smoker. Get fire started, trim and rub, put on smoker when I get thin blue (normally around 250-275 degrees) and let the smoker climb to 300-325, I don't hold the smoker at 250-275, I just let it keep climbing till it gets to 300-325. I normally will go nekkid on everything I smoke unless the color gets too dark (but most of the time I don't have to wrap)

So if I understand correctly....meat at room temp going into the smoker + relative short time in the smoker + no nitrates & relatively little salt in my rub = minimal smoke ring.

It's a largely aesthetic element so I'm not concerned about it, just curious as to the different result from past cooks.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #40
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Old 10-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #41
BASSER
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ROB

You mentioned you had an awesome rub, care to share?

WSM 18.5", Weber Kettle, Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2013, 02:57 AM   #42
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSER View Post
You mentioned you had an awesome rub, care to share?
The recipe?

There really isn't one. It's one of those little of this, little of that till it tastes right things. It's inspired by a Caribbean Jerk which has as many forms as the number of Caribbean islands multiplied by the number of grandmothers that live on them.

I love the allspice and other aromatics like star anise. I tend to use less salt in mine than most recipes and I augment it as well with a bit of light brown sugar and cumin. I think it goes really well with pork. So much so that while I may have sauce on hand when I have guests, I serve it on the side and never put it on the ribs that I'm eating.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #43
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
So if I understand correctly....meat at room temp going into the smoker + relative short time in the smoker + no nitrates & relatively little salt in my rub = minimal smoke ring.

It's a largely aesthetic element so I'm not concerned about it, just curious as to the different result from past cooks.
That is correct.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #44
Pig Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

That looks real good!
Pig Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #45
ChickenWang
Full Fledged Farker

Mighty fine looking vittles !!