MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #346
halfprice
On the road to being a farker

V-wis,
Try this site for dough making. Here's a link to a calculator on the measurements you will need. Get a digital scale.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html

I've used this many times and I'm very happy with the dough. The dough should sit in the fridge for several days to ferment. This adds lots of flavor.

Take pics of the pies and happy faces.

Jerry

Old 05-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #347
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
I'm thinking he should install a webcam so we can all watch it live.

Also, here's a link to the Varasanos Website.
There's a HUGE MASSIVE amount of information on there. The guy puts some reasoning behind some of the myths behind making pizza, and the pizza dough itself. Even if you skim it and read a few of the bullet points that strike your fancy, you'll find it very informative and educational.
Bob i wil deffinetly document, dono about a live cam, lol.

Thanks for the link ill have to read thru it.. Thanks

Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #348
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I'm sure it'll turn out to be a great pizza party. Temps should be warming up by the weekend so the evenings should be nice.
I threw a pizza party on Halloween night once and that was a blast. One friend came dressed as a motorcycle cop and made his very first pizza which came out pretty good. I remember posting his pic on one of the pizza forums. But there were also lots of messed up pizzas..... we blamed those on the beer. lol...
Lot of others played it safe and just roasted marshmallows...:)
Sounds like a great time..

Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #349
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
V-wis,
Try this site for dough making. Here's a link to a calculator on the measurements you will need. Get a digital scale.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html

I've used this many times and I'm very happy with the dough. The dough should sit in the fridge for several days to ferment. This adds lots of flavor.

Take pics of the pies and happy faces.

Jerry
Jerry, thanks for the link, that will be helpful as ill be serving about 16 peeps.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #350
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Jerry, thanks for the link, that will be helpful as ill be serving about 16 peeps.
i like that site, but IMHO, not a big fan of the lehman dough or the calculater results.

i've been working with this one lately, with very satifying results.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #351
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Sounds like a great time..
It sure was.
I found that photo of my friend's first pizza from that Halloween party. :)

Old 05-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #352
CambuiAl
On the road to being a farker

Fantastic setup - really well done! Here in Sao Paulo, pizza ovens are very popular, although I am ashamed to admit I have a pre-mold concrete job, and wished I had done a proper brick job.

The hardest part was perfecting the dough - I still haven't found the recipe I really like, but it's a lot of fun experimenting. The best thing about the pizza oven is that everyone joins in - it's very interactive compared to BBQ - I have also done some great lasagna and breads in the thing.

I plan on re-doing the BBQ house - it's going to be a setup like yours, with a proper Pizza oven, the BBQ pit, an Argentinean 'Parilla' grill for cooking over wood at closer range and a Brazilian 'Fogo a lenha' which is a wood fired hot plate like this:

Anyway - fantastic job, and I can't wait to hear more about your pizza success stories and some photos of the food please!
CambuiAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #353
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

That's very cool, right there!
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #354
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
It sure was.
I found that photo of my friend's first pizza from that Halloween party. :)

Very nice... Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #355
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambuiAl View Post
Fantastic setup - really well done! Here in Sao Paulo, pizza ovens are very popular, although I am ashamed to admit I have a pre-mold concrete job, and wished I had done a proper brick job.

The hardest part was perfecting the dough - I still haven't found the recipe I really like, but it's a lot of fun experimenting. The best thing about the pizza oven is that everyone joins in - it's very interactive compared to BBQ - I have also done some great lasagna and breads in the thing.

I plan on re-doing the BBQ house - it's going to be a setup like yours, with a proper Pizza oven, the BBQ pit, an Argentinean 'Parilla' grill for cooking over wood at closer range and a Brazilian 'Fogo a lenha' which is a wood fired hot plate like this:

Anyway - fantastic job, and I can't wait to hear more about your pizza success stories and some photos of the food please!

Thats pretty cool, indoor wood fired cooking.. Sweet, thanks for sharing.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #356
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Well i got the dough, Used 7.5 pounds of flower, 11 pounds of dough, should be enough for 18 pies right?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #357
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

hmmmm, depends.

i don't have my exact calculations with me but, i think i use between 450 and 500 grams per pie for 14 plus inch shell. kinda depends on how the dough is acting that day.

1 pound=453 grams. so if i was cooking 18 pies, 11 pounds would not be enough. plus i always fark up opening at least one of them.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #358
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
hmmmm, depends.

i don't have my exact calculations with me but, i think i use between 450 and 500 grams per pie for 14 plus inch shell. kinda depends on how the dough is acting that day.

1 pound=453 grams. so if i was cooking 18 pies, 11 pounds would not be enough. plus i always fark up opening at least one of them.
I have since added more to the dough, also i will be making 280g 12 inch pies.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #359
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

added to the existing dough or another batch?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #360
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
added to the existing dough or another batch?

Existing, basically 30 min after mixing it and letting it sit.