MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
bigbeef24
Full Fledged Farker

Default BBQ sauce

Do you have to have any license or permit to bottle and sell your own BBQ sauce?

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS
bigbeef24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Yes...up here we have to send to Cornell, with a detailed description of process, ingredients, proper ph etc.....then bottled by a licensed operation...with so many sauces on the market it will be hard break even, if you can afford it, start by talking to a company that bottles others, I seen a couple listed on the Bull Sheet or the National BBQ news..

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

What do you want to do with your sauce?

1. Keep it a hobby where you sell it at local farmer's markets, festivals and maybe at a few local mom and pop owned stores?

or

2. Sell it on a larger scale like to national grocery chains?

If your answer is #1 odds are you won't ever have to worry about permits, licensing or anything like that. On occasion we'll attend a local Farmer's market and it is packed with people selling BBQ sauce, canned preserves, pickled this and pickled that who have nothing more than a homemade label. None have liability insurance, license or any form of a permit. They made the product in their home kitchen. Is there a risk? Yep. But odds are if you keep it at this level you'll be fine. Would I do it this way? Nope. But A LOT of people do and never have a problem.

If your answer is #2 then you need to have your product lab tested for the ph level/acidity of the product. To see if it needs to be refrigerated or not. You'll need to get a UPC# and have barcodes put on your labels. Get the nutritional information done by a professional company. Have your sauce packed by a professional. Get liability insurance. In many cases the co-packer will allow you to be covered under his umbrella policy. He might charge you like $100/year but it is well worth it.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling

Last edited by Bamabuzzard; 03-08-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
J&B'sBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I have looked into doing this via my local farmers market and they required we have a food license for packing foods, which also includes having someone come out and inspect our kitchen we use to prepare food. It was a bit more of a process than we were interested in, but I think each farmers market has their own regulations for those types of products. I jar and sell our sauce, on a small scale, via word of mouth from family and friends. It's not much, but it does bring in a little extra cash in the BBQ season.
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Limo Jr. & 125 Water Cooker[/URL]
Proudly Supported By:
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Smokers & Trailers[/URL]
[URL="http://www.swampboys.com/wordpress/"]Swamp Boys BBQ Sauces and Rubs[/URL]
[URL="https://carolinacookwood.com"]Carolina Cookwood[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE]
J&B'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&B'sBBQ View Post
I have looked into doing this via my local farmers market and they required we have a food license for packing foods, which also includes having someone come out and inspect our kitchen we use to prepare food. It was a bit more of a process than we were interested in, but I think each farmers market has their own regulations for those types of products. I jar and sell our sauce, on a small scale, via word of mouth from family and friends. It's not much, but it does bring in a little extra cash in the BBQ season.
Yeah, for the most part doing it this way you or the original poster shouldn't have much issue. GOOD LUCK!!!!

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote