MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
CustomBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Beer can chicken advice

Hey people. I did my first beer can chicken last night, I really enjoyed the way the chicken came out, real tender and juicy with a nice skin, but the meat did not taste much like beer. When I took the can out it was just about full (I put it into the chicken full), should I have emptied some beer out first to get it to penetrate the chicken faster, or am I just missing something all together, haha. I used Tony Chachere's on the chicken. The other photo is of some boneless skinless thighs, they were gifted to me otherwise they would've been bone in, regardless they made tasty little snacks.

Thanks for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0368.jpg (58.4 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0370.jpg (44.2 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0369.jpg (60.0 KB, 195 views)

Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Try heating the beer to 200 degrees first. Beer can chicken is a myth though, I'd rather spatchcock it.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

The beer can chicken was debunked recently. Has no bearing on adding moisture or aromatics.

Think about it - a cold bird sitting on a vessel of liquid which doesn't even come close to steaming/simmering temperatures when the birds are done 165-185.
Next time - check the temp of the liquid, too.

The chicken looks awesome, tho... nice job.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Custom, I tried it a couple times and had the same results as you: great juicy chicken with crisp skin, but no additional flavor. Plus I had a few scalds from trying to de-beercan the bird after the cook. I basically gave up on the idea, and then found this write-up that supported what happened with my cooks (chicken is my favorite thing to cook/eat):

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...n_chicken.html

Chicken is my favorite meal, bar-none. There are much better ways that beercan.
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Rolltide87
Found some matches.

Everybody pretty much covered it: the beer can chicken is more so about presentation and novel than flavor. Your best bet would be a beer marinade or a spatchcock-baste.
Rolltide87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Gardendogs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have tried this before chicken turned out great, no different taste that I could tell. I did drink about half of the beer first and then threw in some spices in the beer.
Gardendogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

use a ceramic "chicken sitter" and a full flavored beer (double ipa, porter, stout....).

i disagree that it's just a novelty procedure.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

You could also try a turkey cannon (why should turkeys have all the fun).

http://www.campchef.com/infusion-roa...ey-cannon.html
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
use a ceramic "chicken sitter" and a full flavored beer (double ipa, porter, stout....).

i disagree that it's just a novelty procedure.
I agree with this. We do a dozen beer can chickens a year. I can taste the beer. We do it hot and fast though....so I am not sure if that causes it to steam more or the beer to boil over.

I've done it with hard cider at 300 and I guarentee you that the cider favors the chicken. My wife even asked if I switched the beers around.

Don't use light beer. I can barely taste Keystone or Coors.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
The beer can chicken was debunked recently. Has no bearing on adding moisture or aromatics.

Think about it - a cold bird sitting on a vessel of liquid which doesn't even come close to steaming/simmering temperatures when the birds are done 165-185.
Next time - check the temp of the liquid, too.

The chicken looks awesome, tho... nice job.
not the best photography or writing (even a couple typos), so forgive, but this explains why i disagree that it's a novelty.

http://deepsouthegging.wordpress.com/

Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I also disagree that it's only a novelty. However, I do mine hot and fast with a stainless steel chicken holder that a friend of mine makes out of 1/4" plate and 2" pipe. I also use a good strong beer. I can taste the beer and the bird's always moist with a crisp skin. The leftovers make great pot pies and pasties too.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
not the best photography or writing (even a couple typos), so forgive, but this explains why i disagree that it's a novelty.

http://deepsouthegging.wordpress.com/
I was wandering if this roaster would be better than the sittin chicken

Vs .
http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/Sitt..._p/bgescst.htm
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
Bludawg

Drink the beer stuff the empty up the chickens Butt cook as normal the chicken don't know the difference.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Drink the beer stuff the empty up the chickens Butt cook as normal the chicken don't know the difference.
Werd!

I use a chicken stand and like the results of cooking the whole chicken upright. I don't mind spatchcocking one, but I've used the stand in the kitchen oven with good results, too. Never got much result from beer, but I do know plugging the neck with a potato or onion allows any moisture to stay inside. (Or pin the skin over the neck opening)

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote