IBCA Brisket Question

Cloudsmoker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just signed up for 1st IBCA event, so thanks in advance for your help. Rules call for 7 slices of brisket. My question: are burnt ends allowed (or encouraged)?

I ask because my burnt ends tend to be my strongest cook.

The only thing in the box besides the piece of foil they provide is 7 each 1/4 inch slices of meat which can not be trimmed to fit after cooking and must be placed parallel to the hinged side. Carry a paper towel with you to turn in to sop up any juices that accumulate in the bottom of the container or they will supply one. Use no sauce after it is removed from the smoker.

This goes for the ribs as well. The chicken is 1/2 fully jointed with the same rules. You may be asked to turn in 2 of the 1/2 depending on the number of cooks.

Remember, the judges will be sampling it with a knife and fork and are not allowed to touch the protine with their hands. COOK accordingly.

While Smoke'n Ice is correct about only 7 slices of brisket (no burnt ends), no trimming for width after cooking and no puddling of sauces in the tray, the rule regarding application of sauce (within Rule 9) reads:

"Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces and/or liquids may not be added once put into tray. NO PUDDLING IN BOTTOM OF TRAY."

The full IBCA rules can be found here: http://www.ibcabbq.org/rules.html

Haven't competed in IBCA yet, but I have tasted a few entries.

I will say that the biggest difference that I can see between IBCA and KCBS brisket, is that IBCA brisket seems to actually taste like BBQ......:p

NO burnt ends. And don't cut the ends of your brisket off if it doesn't fit in the tray when you're done cooking - you CAN trim it to fit before cooking, but afterward, if the slices are too wide, curve them around in the box into a "U" shape. Also, 7 slices means *seven* slices EXACTLY. And if your cookoff is large, like more than 50-60 teams, you will likely be asked to turn in 9 slices of brisket (and 9 ribs) instead of 7.

Lynn H.

Back