• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First UDS smoke, now im hooked! (Pics)

D

dukesbb37

So I was gonna build a UDS, but i found someone to sell me one on craigslist for 125 so i just bought one. All i have to say is WOW. This thing is awesome.

I bought a propane smoker because i heard it was easier. Wish i had seen this first.

Here's what you really clicked for

photo12.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

so on to my questions.

1) Confession. I have never smoked pig before. Is there always fatty slimy stuff around all the actual meat?

2) Anyone have an idea of how to mount a side table on a UDS? I do not have the knowledge or tools to weld.... so im thinking JB Weld?

1) Confession. I have never smoked pig before. Is there always fatty slimy stuff around all the actual meat?

Yah, there will be fat. Although I'm not sure how much you have from the picture, but there can be a bit.

I loved my uds and keep smoking things since i built mine.

Mine had fat around it. I did 21 pounds a 9 and 12 after pulling had maybe 1 pound of fat i pulled off.

JB wont hold up to that, IMO. Get some flat bar bend the ends and inch and half in drill a hole, use a bolt. same with the top.

As to the table, i have seen some use shelf brackets bolted to the side and then attach the table on top of that.

Check out the mother of all uds threads. Haha!! I said it before you did Bludawg!

:caked::clap:

I see you didn't trim the fat cap off the pork butt. If you leave the fat cap on you will get the fatty slimy stuff around the meat. There is plenty of fat inside the big hunk of meat that you won't need most of the fat cap on it to keep it moist like you would say a brisket flat.

When pulling the pork you will still notice some unrendered fat inside of it still. I just make sure when I am pulling it, i remove the globs of fat from the meat.

Great looking drum and pork!

I just used shelf brackets on mine...it was easy.

100_4616-1.jpg

100_4622-1.jpg

I see you didn't trim the fat cap off the pork butt. If you leave the fat cap on you will get the fatty slimy stuff around the meat. There is plenty of fat inside the big hunk of meat that you won't need most of the fat cap on it to keep it moist like you would say a brisket flat.

When pulling the pork you will still notice some unrendered fat inside of it still. I just make sure when I am pulling it, i remove the globs of fat from the meat.

Great post. I cut off as much fat as I can before I rub spice and throw any globs in the trash when I pull. Also, near the end, if you take the heat up, it will melt away a lot of that fat.

Ps, nice score on your new pit brother!

Nice dude! I love my UDS! They are awesome. Been smoking all winter.

Enjoy it!:D

Back