MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #196
OpelGTMan
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Marc

I want to get one of these but my wife says I have to sell one of my other grills.
OpelGTMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #197
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Hi,

2 questions:

What's the distance between the rack and the rebar? Can you cook on both simultaneously?

What sort of a smoke ring do you get from the PBC? Although they shouldn't be, it would be disingenuous to say that judges aren't influenced by the smoke ring.

Thanks!

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #198
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpelGTMan View Post
I want to get one of these but my wife says I have to sell one of my other grills.
So, hit Craigslist bro. Or, you can bust out Ephesians 2, but I don't recommend it.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #199
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Hi,

2 questions:

What's the distance between the rack and the rebar? Can you cook on both simultaneously?

What sort of a smoke ring do you get from the PBC? Although they shouldn't be, it would be disingenuous to say that judges aren't influenced by the smoke ring.

Thanks!

Eric
1) I'd guess about twelve inches. Yes, you can cook on the hooks and rack simultaneously.

2) I get a great smoke ring. It's at least as good as what I get from my UDS's.

John

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #200
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Another quick question:

For new initiates into the PBC cult, has anyone come up with time guidelines for cooks at closer to sea level?

Thanks!

Eric

Old 01-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #201
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Another quick question:

For new initiates into the PBC cult, has anyone come up with time guidelines for cooks at closer to sea level?

Thanks!

Eric
First, I'm not aware of any "cult", but that aside, there are many PBC customers at or near sea level.

Second, the beauty of the PBC is that it doesn't matter if you're in Death Valley or on top of Pike's Peak. They pre-set the intake for your elevation before they ship it. Your cooking experience in NY will be the same as for me here in Boise at 2700 feet.

If you have further questions I'd encourage you go call the owner of the company. Noah puts his personal cell number on every cooker, and on his web site.

John

Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #202
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I believe that a variance in timing due to elevation was mentioned by Noah in one of the videos.

Is it safe to assume that you have used the recommended times for the various cuts of meat and had no problems and didn't need to tweak anything?

Thanks,

Eric

Old 01-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #203
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I believe that a variance in timing due to elevation was mentioned by Noah in one of the videos.

Is it safe to assume that you have used the recommended times for the various cuts of meat and had no problems and didn't need to tweak anything?

Thanks,

Eric
Yes, that's safe to assume. Again, give Noah a call. It's free and painless, I promise. He's a war veteran (and true hero), but he's gentle.

John

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #204
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I reached out to him yesterday and I look forward to his reply. There's no harm asking here what experience other users have had.

I should have PBC by next week, so I'm trying to glean whatever information I can.

Eric

Old 01-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #205
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Ok, I've said it a few to many times already...but I've had my PBC for almost a month now... this is HANDS-DOWN my favorite cooker!! I have NEVER EVER been more happy with ANY of my current/previous cookers. EVERYTHING is so easy about this thing... and the food is incredible!! Now I must say, if you have the time, and REALLY enjoy tending the cook, a PBC may not be for you. But, if you don't want to tend and stand over your cooker, and want a brain dead easy experience... this baby will blow you away, period!! And it's just fun to use :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #206
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Good god this thread is complicated. I just ordered one because at $225 I can't go wrong. That price is a night out on the town. Gettin' Basted will cook chicken on this thing at our next competition. Look up the results and see if it works. Anything in the top half is a win because our chicken is usually terrible....

#unbiasedreview

Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #207
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Aaaaahhhhhhh. I can't stand it any longer...... No, not the length of this thread,.... and not the lively conversation either, or the fact I missed it when it came out..... What's killing me is that 4 years ago I made a jerky/sausage rack for my BDS. It sits on the grate bolts (it can be inverted too in order to get closer to the fire) and I have two sets of grate bolts (hi and lo)..... and with my rack I would also have the option to spin the entire set-up during cooking if needed. Even though I've thought about hanging stuff like ribs or a brisket..... I've never done it. I think that is going to change now. Thanks everyone.

The good thing is, my rack has not just been in a corner gathering cobwebs, sometimes it does rain in Wyoming.....

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by thirdeye; 01-06-2013 at 11:07 AM..
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #208
trance309
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Kind of confused now. I was planning on getting a upright UDS, but after reading this thread things are not as clear. How would the food taste different? I hear people say the food tastes better with a PBC. Is it just because the food is hung not sitting on grate, seems like they are the same basic design, coals on bottom of barrel, Heat and smoke inclosed in barrel, food near top of barrel.
trance309 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #209
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I had the same question. Maybe it's a stronger maillard reaction?

Eric

Old 01-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #210
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance309 View Post
Kind of confused now. I was planning on getting a upright UDS, but after reading this thread things are not as clear. How would the food taste different? I hear people say the food tastes better with a PBC. Is it just because the food is hung not sitting on grate, seems like they are the same basic design, coals on bottom of barrel, Heat and smoke inclosed in barrel, food near top of barrel.
The only thing that would go for making the end result taste different is that the PBC cooks hotter and faster than a UDS. All the other variables like, charcoal brand, type of wood, and how seasoned your cooker is will make try to determine a clear difference pretty tough. My Ribs taste (a little) different if I use my coleman rather than my offset.