Fat as Fuel? or that amazing UDS !

BruceKWHP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This evening I was prepping the char griller to q a few steaks in the side box. While the 1/3 chimney was heating up I decided to empty the ash from Robot (my UDS). I was shocked when I opened her up.

the chunk of red oak was mostly intact.

the ONE chimney of hardwood charcoal was MOSTLY intact !!

I could not believe I cooked for 4 hours and used almost NO FUEL!!

My theory is the dripping fat from the 11 lbs of beef ribs I cooked last night falling onto the coals acted as fuel. I know fat was dripping because there is plenty hardened on the bottom of the drum outside the pizza pan's reach to verify this.

Fat as fuel! I am thinking of a angled "funnel lip mod" below the grate to route the drippings to the charcoal basket. What do you all think?

No my friend...... You have been introduced properly to the wonderful world of uds smoking.

They are ugly but they are special.

We have 6 UDS and they all cook like that what an amazing smoker

Interesting theory. My theory is that the renderings extinguished the top layer and still burned from beneath. But still, the uds doesn't use much fuel on a four hour cook. Funnelling all the drippings may extinguish more than you want it too. Just my opinion. It sure would be nice to ween it off charcoal all together.

I swear that after cooking on my UDS yesterday there was more charcoal than when I started. go figure.

I think you guys are on to something here... i just drove 180 miles and had more gas in my tank than I started with. I think we should call in the FBI.

I recently Asked Kevin Gillespie of Top Chef about Q and he said that the fat drippings falling onto the coals is what he uses to generate the flavor in the cooking of his hole hogs - However if you siphen the fat drippings off you could probably power a lantern or your UDS - there's a company in Florida that takes all the human body parts left over from surgery and uses it for fuel. Im not saying Im just saying I know too much about alternative fuels. One humpback whale produces 30,000 gals of oil hi jack this thread? Im staying on topic he said Fat drippings

Back