Pulled Pork Question

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have never done Pulled Pork, mainly cause I don't eat pork that's not cured.
My Wife has requested it for a Party next week.
When you do a search here its so overwhelming, so can some one link or steer me straight please.
Tools of trade are Webers, offset, Acorn, with a green mountain pellet cooker on the way, choice would be a kettle.
waiting on your replies:pop2::pop2::pop2::pop2:

pp is almost too easy.
1-get a pork butt
2-rub that sucka down w/your favorite rub
3-let the rub sit until fully sweated(moisture from butt is drawn out to wet the rub all around, helping it stick when smoking)
4-while waiting for rub to sweat, fire up your cooker of choice. whether you go l&s or h&f, make sure you can keep it going until done.
5-once cooker is up to temp and rub is sweated, slap that bad boy on
6-let it ride(just leave it be). butts take a while to cook, but don't require much tending. just let it cook.
7-when done(bone pull or probe tender), wrap in foil and rest in a cooler for no less than 1 hr.
8-after resting, pull that sucka
9-(optional) add sauce and mix well
10-chow down

+1 ^^^^^
When I do mine I usually pull and wrap near the 4 hr mark as to me that's enough smoke and I like the color of the bark.
Plan on 1-1:15 per pound, wait you guys use that other system....
Have to find a conversion to help ya more

EDIT: 2:15-3 hours/kilo at 121c

Hope that helps you out my friend

Use this thread for the setup for a long cook on a kettle, many good ideas.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129246
I have a pic of my setup in there.
My basic butt cook is to setup the coals with wood mixed in, start 1/2 chimney of lump or briquettes, dump the fully lit coals into the open spot.
I leave the lid off while I rub the butt, this allows the coals in the ring to start burning. After the butt is rubbed I pour about a quart of boiling water into the water/drip pan, put the butt on the grate and close the lid. I keep the vents wide open, when the temp gets to 290° I close the intake to 1/2, the temp will usually keep rising. When it gets to 310° or so I'll close the intake completely, at this point the temp will fall back to my desired cook temp, between 285°-305°. At this temp range my butts are done at a rate of less than an hour per pound, no foiling, no peeking.
If I am cooking an 8-9 pound butt I'll probe for tenderness(or if you prefer internal temp) after 6 hours. Once done, I let it rest tented with foil for 45 minutes, give or take, before pulling. YMMV.
Good Luck.

If your able to maintain your temps on your Acorn ( don't use the lid thermo) use a drip pan on top of a diffuser. These 2 took a total of 12 hrs. The one on the top swing shelf took 11.5 hrs. If you need help on how to control the temps on your acorn, I had to make my own adjusting slider vent, this allowed me to maintain any temp I wanted. Simple aluminum flashing, easy to cut.
rrx9.jpg

sjf8.jpg

r35a.jpg

I have one on right now using this setup with a drip pan in the middle.
firering.jpg

I dumped around 12 lit briquettes on one side of the brick. Let the temp stabilize at around 250 degrees, put the rubbed meat on, and ignore it for about 1.5 hours per pound. Cooler it when the bone comes loose when pulled on or when a skewer passes through the thickest part. Pull.

Cook fat side up. If planning to inject some people use Chris Lillys injection If you get a bone in butt you want it so that te bone pulls out easily Wen cooking you will hit a stall around 145 and it will sit around that temp for a while Just let it ride Love pulled pork

My two cents: when internal temp is reaches 205, pull, rest an hour, eat. That's in addition to the prep from the above posts.

First Time-no blood sweat or tears

Smoke three hours indirect. Remove and place in large crockpot. Add one Dr Pepper, one package Lipton onion soup mix, garlic and green chilis.
Cook overnight on medium.

It's cheating (somewhat) but damn good.

Roll it in rub, set up the Ring of Fire plop old Mr Piggy in the middle and roasts his sweet self, I run mine WFO wrap it after 4-5 hrs if you want to keep some juices, or skip & go neked it's your party. when the bone is loose it's done, and should look something like this.
DSCN0720.jpg

Roll it in rub, set up the Ring of Fire plop old Mr Piggy in the middle and roasts his sweet self, I run mine WFO wrap it after 4-5 hrs if you want to keep some juices, or skip & go neked it's your party. when the bone is loose it's done, and should look something like this.
DSCN0720.jpg
That's some sweet stuff there BD!

Primo XL PP

The great thing about the bone in is that it's a great "I'm farking done buzzer"
Pull it out its done. I catch the juices in mine for making a Shack Sauce or just dipping. This one took right at 7 hours. No injection. Seasoned with Stubbs rub on top and then Coopers when pulled.

Last edited:
Wet

I like wet Pulled pork and dry ribs.

Last edited:
Thanks to you folks, The wife was as happy as.:thumb:
pork pulled to her satisfaction for our gathering tomorrow.
Moist and impressed.
Photos in the next couple of days.
Thanks folks:clap:

Thanks to you folks, The wife was as happy as.:thumb:
pork pulled to her satisfaction for our gathering tomorrow.
Moist and impressed.
Photos in the next couple of days.
Thanks folks:clap:

Lmao, happy as. Ohhh man. I used to date a Kiwi way back when. That saying always confused me, but also made me laugh. I learned to accept it over the course of time.

Back