Should I Sell My Traeger...

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
...and buy a WSM or keep the Traeger and build a UDS? I want a smoker that burns mesquite, hickory and apple chunks w/o having to be at it's side for 15 hours. I read here that a WSM will hold temp for 8 hours which would allow me to sleep hopefully. On the other hand the Traeger is a great convenience for the 4 to 6 catering jobs I get per year. Also, I have access to an offset that used to be mine. I could never get it to maintain an even temp but that was before I joined this forum. Anyway I just want to be able to use something besides pellets.

A WSM or a UDS will hold temps for a lot longer than 8 hours in my experience. Based on your question, I'd build a UDS and keep the Traeger. I have run my wsm 18.5 for over 16 hours with no problem. I have run my UDS that long as well.

I asked a similar question earlier here about selling my WSM and the overwhelming response was to keep it, whether or not I'm using it right now. I haven't cooked on it since I built my UDS, but I am gonna cook on it and keep it in good working order in case I do ever need it again...

Yeah I have access to several drums and welding equipment. IIRC you need a weber kettle, right?

Unless you need to sell it becuase you don't have the room or if you need the $.
Hang onto it. I have my drum and I use it most of the time. Infact my SIL and one of his buddy's each have one now and we are building 3 more this coming weekend.

That being said, I also have 4 treagers that quite honestly have not been getting used much. But, I fired the one of the 070's up yesterday when I was too busy to mess with the drum for a couple small racks of beef backs, kind of a last minute cook. IMHO the ease with which you can cook something on the Treager is worth it just for the times you don'y have much time. Walk out to the patio, check your pellets, flip the swich & you're golden!

I say build a drum, Keep the treager. Plus, if you are the 1st one to introduce a drum to your friends, you'll be suprised how many of them have them a year from now.

Last edited:
Back