Plant City, Fl This Weekend? (merged)

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK, so who's going to be a Plant City, FL, next weekend. It's a KCBS event and is usually quite well attended.

Southern Brethren BBQ will be there.

I plan on being there to socialize for awhile. I got another box of green gloves for Tim.

JohnMcD348 said:
I plan on being there to socialize for awhile. I got another box of green gloves for Tim.

Bless ya Big John!

I am cooking breakfast Sat AM--You wanna just eat instead of "catering the Rainbow Room" ? :lol:

TIM

I will be there, my flight gets in friday evening and im going straight to see a hockey game tampa bay lightning vs ny islanders after that gonna go straight to contest sleep in car for a bit and be there rest of morning and day

I'm in! This is week #5 in a row for me; I'm ready for a break.
The Swamp Babes will be with me, schlepping bbq and corn for your epicurean enjoyment :cool:

Jimmy, we going $5x5 again?

Rub said:
I'm in! This is week #5 in a row for me; I'm ready for a break.
The Swamp Babes will be with me, schlepping bbq and corn for your epicurean enjoyment :cool:

Jimmy, we going $5x5 again?

Yep

Bring your sharpie

Who's Coming To The Plant City, Fl Bbq Competition This Weekend?

If you haven't already heard, there is a KCBS sanctioned BBQ competition in Plant City, Fla. this Saturday, November 18.

The Fourth Annual Plant City Pig Jam will give guests a chance to ask cooks about their pits, the wood they are burning, how they prepare their meat and what cooking temperatures they prefer. And of course, it's a great excuse for a down-home party with loads of savory BBQ!

In addition to some of the finest BBQ in the Southeast, there will be music, live entertainment and plenty of activities for the kids, so bring the whole family!

It all happens from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday at the Randy L. Larson Softball Four-Plex, 1900 South Park Road/1401 Albertsons Dr. in Plant City, Fla. Parking is $3 per vehicle and admission is free.

For more information, contact the Greater Plant City Chamber of Commerce at 813-754-3707

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here's a few I know are attending:

Bonesmokers Big Time BBQ
Fast Eddy's/Cookshack
Smokers Wild
Jerry King Midland TX
Smokin' Triggers

I'm sure all of the Florida heavy hitters will be there as well. Buttrub.com, Home BBQ, Woodhouse, Firehouse, Bill & The Dixie Chicks, Swamp Boys BBQ Team, Smokin' Cracker, and on, and on, and on . . .should be an awesome contest.

Good luck to all!

Rod

Last edited:
Tim's off and heading towards Plant City. I've got the travel trailer ready so I'll be leaving shortly.

Weather will be cool (for around here) but sunny. We're looking forward to seeing some of the Brethren.

Awesome time. Grand champion homebbq.com i will post details about contest later 2 much 2 type on cell phone

What an interesting weekend!

It was great to meet Steve/Sledneck and see John/JohnMcD348 at Plant City. John assisted us by running the boxes and Steve was an illustrious CBJ for the contest.

We were very pleased with our product though a bit disappointed with the outcome...and 8th in Pork was a welcome surprse, but we thought the Chicken would walk...it didnt'!!

Lot's of Brethren walking...us, Kevin, Ray, Rub, Jimmy, and Mike...just to walk was good...let's just say that 5 of the BBQ Challenge competitors were there...Ray, Trigg, Fast Eddie, Myron Mixon, and Byron Chisolm...along with Memphis Pig Pals, and the usual assortment of very capable FL teams... Muchees, Firehouse, Smoke & Spice, Skin & Bones, etc. etc.

I think it was 52 pro teams and 25 backyard.

Very well run event.

Last edited:
These are the official results -- off my score sheets.

GC - HomeBBQ.com
Reserve - Skin & Bones

3 Music City Pig Pals
4 Bonesmokers
5 Firehouse BBQ
6 Munchees Smokehouse
7 Dixie D
8 Woodhouse Grill
9 Smoke 'n Spice
10 Wild Bunch Butt Burners

Chicken
1 Music City Pig Pals
2 Bill & the Dixie Chicks
3 Smokers Wild
4 HomeBBQ.com
5 Munchees Smokehouse
6 Pigglicious BBQ Team
7 Over the Fence BBQ FL
8 Skin & Bones
9 Meat Monkeys
10 Wild Bunch Butt Burners

Ribs
1 Smokin' Triggers
2 Swamp Boys BBQ Team
3 Jerry King - Midland Texas
4 Wild Bunch Butt Burners
5 Dixie D
6 Firehouse BBQ
7 Smokey Mountain Smokers
8 Bonesmokers
9 Munchees Smokehouse
10 Smokin' Butts

Pork
1 Gator Grates
2 Skin & Bones
3 Smoke 'n Spice BBQ
4 Music City Pig Pals
5 Munchees Smokehouse
6 Jack's Old South
7 Dixie D
8 Southern Brethren
9 Pigglicious BBQ Team
10 Woodhouse Grill

Brisket
1 Smokey Mountain Smokers
2 HomeBBQ.com
3 Dixie D
4 Bonesmokers
5 Fast Eddie BBQ
6 Woodhouse Grill
7 Firehouse BBQ
8 Smoke 'n Spice BBQ
9 Smokin' Cracker
10 All About Pork

Just got home and half unpacked.
Exhausted, mentally and physically.

Great to see Big John (JohnMc "something") and his family, as always!
And Steve (Sledneck) was a joy to have around. What a great guy (and I will not even add "for a New Yawker" :lol: ) He is just a fine person!
Thanks to both of you for the help and support!
Ray (DRBBQ) was a "hoot" as always.
Also got to meet Fast Eddy and see the FE500. Great guy and you could smoke a Volkswagen inside that thing! Another work of art from Cookshack.

Wonderful weekend-- all the way until awards.
Well run event. Field was "kinda impressive" :redface:
I had a man that I respect a lot tell me--"You can not judge your teams ability at this event--just look around at who is here". Or something to that effect.
You know what?
Fl is becoming a winter "tour" for the full time teams you see on Food TV, the BBQ Challenge, and all of that. These teams are awesome--they do this stuff 40 times a year or more for a living! And, they are damn good and damn consistant! :twisted:
If Dave and I wanna compete, we gotta play at their level.
Do not know if we will ever get there :redface:
There is no "bottom feeding events" down here, either KCBS or FBA.

Cooked my first 10 egg omelet for breakfast on Sat. Guess I gotta start packing more breakfast fixin's :redface: Kinda nice starting to be "the place" for breakfast :lol:
Can't seem to please the Judges, but pleasing fellow cooks is even better :lol:

I was really proud to see the Brethren walk and also some of our friends who are not Brothers.

Kevin and Clara (HomeBBQ) are well on the way to establishing a dynasty as the dominate team in the SE! They may have to share that status with Jacks Old South, but nothing wrong with that company!
My hat is off to them.

Learned a lot and we will be stronger in the Spring.
Lots of thoughts in my little head, some of which I may share later.

TIM

I agree Dave, very well run. And congrats on the walk!

I actually saw Sledneck (t shirt gave him away), but couldn't say hi at the moment. I was changing clothes in my truck when he walked by. :oops: :lol:

Rub said:
I agree Dave, very well run. And congrats on the walk!

I actually saw Sledneck (t shirt gave him away), but couldn't say hi at the moment. I was changing clothes in my truck when he walked by. :oops: :lol:

High fives to you, too. It was a tough field.:-D

Back