BBQ Sauce For Pulled Pork?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am wanting to offer a variety of sauces for my pulled pork, or at least a couple.

Do you use commercial or make your own?
If you use commercial is KC Masterpiece Original as good as anything. This is what I buy at Sams Club.

I know a lot is personal preference but also there may be a few favorites out there.

Make my own. imho Roxy's mustard sauce and pulled pork is tough to beat..:thumb:

I go with Eastern Carolina style. I have used Scott's (my girl is from Goldsboro), Wilbers, and Clear Run Farms. I've also made my own from time to time. Right now I'm using a spice mix called Charlie Mills Famous Bar-B-Que Sauce Mix. It's good! We get it at the Nuhunta Pork Shop.
http://www.nahuntapork.com/

I like the slabs and Smoken dudes hickory. both great sauces and cheaper to buy then to make. If Im just buying from a local store I go with Stubbs original, love the stuff and easy to find around here.

If I make good enough BBQ I don't use sauce, if I don't make good Q I use home made sauce!

1 ½ cups white vinegar
1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
1 ½ tbls sugar
1 ½ tbls red pepper flakes
1 ½ tbls bottled hot pepper sauce
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

i got this from carolinaq who i think got it out of an old weber cookbook.

everyone i have ever served this sauce too has passed on the heavier sauces.

I get my sauces from Brothers out of Denver, CO. You can find their sauces at this link: http://www.brothers-bbq.com/index.php They have the following sauces, all of which I think are fantastic. Original, Tangy Vinegar, Carolina Mustard (East Carolina type), Sweet (great on beef ribs), and Hot. They also have a butt rub that I like a lot, but it is not on the website right now.

First, I'm not fond of sauces with artificial smoke flavoring because our pork and/or ribs have plenty of smoke flavor on them. We always have a variety of sauces on hand for parties. Some folks like Blues Hog Original straight up, particularly on ribs. Blues Hog Tennessee Red is awesome on pulled pork. For a 3rd and 4th straight up sauce we'll present Head Country original and hot, but they have that artificial smoke that I'm not a fan of. Then I have my personal sauce which is very different and makes a great chicken barbecue sauce, being tomato sauce, cane syrup, grape jelly, worchestershire sauce, a little cayenne and a little rub. Then (yes, more sauces), I'll take the Blues Hog's and mix them about 50/50 for one sauce, and another taking that mixture and mix it about 50/50 (so we end up with 50/25/25) with our sauce. This (the combination) makes a fantastic pulled pork sauce and is very close to what we compete with.

Then there's the North Carolina vinegar sauces which are largely based on apple cider vinegar and black pepper. Google around or search here on brethren for some good recipes. However, if you dont like Blues Hog Tennessee Red, you probably wont like the NC vinegar sauces...

I have the remains of a gallon of BH Tenn Red and a gallon of Head Country Hot in the fridge as I type... I dont expect the BH Tenn Red to last the month.

I like Eastern Carolina Sauce, like Scott's and George's. Tho most of the time I make my own

I am new to all this so I cheat. I found this recipe -
1 Cup Cherry Dr. Pepper
1-1/2 Cups Sweet Baby Rays Original
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Honey

Family loves it!
LOL you stole my receipe I did one similar to that one , dang that cherry DP is good stuff, also deepsouth I like a vingar sauce also , but I usually use cider vingar But overall SBR is hard to beat

Here is the one I make just for pulled pork. Super simple. It is a little sweet with a little tanginess to it. Awesome on pulled pork. Plus if you don't like it your only out a few ingrediants and a couple minutes of time so I urge you to try it.

32 once bottle - ketchup
2/3 cup - apple cider vinegar
1 cup - lemon juice
1 stick - butter
1 cup - sugar
2 tsp - black pepper
2 tablespoons - red pepper flakes
(use more or less of the 2 peppers to adjust what heat level you like. I use about 1 tsp black pepper and 1 tablespoon red pepper when I am making it for my kids and wife cause they don't like spicy stuff.)

I melt the butter in a pot then add the rest of the ingrediants and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling I'll turn it down and simmer for about 10 15 minutes to let it cook a little of the vinegar taste out. Then take it off the heat and let cool. Simple and everybody here loves it.

I like the North Carolina style sauce a lot with pulled pork so I make one like this:

[FONT=&quot]North Carolina style finishing sauce[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]2 cups apple cider vinegar [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3 tablespoons lemon juice [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    [/FONT]

For pulled pork, my favorite sauce is Gates original.

Ole Rays Porkolicous is a darn fine sauce and what I usually use. A little hint of vinegar and nice sweet heat kick at the end.

Pulled Pork... Simple Vinegar finishing sauce for me please......

Back