Now I see why Johnny Trigg says he doesn't eat his comp ribs.

Whatever the profile, a rib has got tobe pretty God Awful for me not to like it. My .02.

Yeah. Winky face, "scot free" and all that. If it makes you feel better. :eusa_clap

Hey you started a thread where you said a cooking style leads to meat where you can't taste much of the meat because of all the sweet. Then people said it is possible to balance it out and the end product actually doesn't have to be sweet, but it just adds a layer of flavor. You weren't having any of it or open to those ideas at all. From visually seeing you said you made your final decision without tasting. So you are judging by the initial knee jerk reaction of what you saw on tv. Not the best way to go about things.

So my only guess for starting the thread was to start an argument for your entertainment vs having an open mind to the other posters. Your mind was made up the second the thread was posted. Not sure where else you wanted this to go other than where it is right now. Glad you are still taking the "perceived" high road here. Keep that mind open :loco:.

Just like BBQ...football is meant to be enjoyed in all weather..They have the game in New York...City, about 575 miles from me..
Tailgate Joe will be there!!!

Just like BBQ...football is meant to be enjoyed in all weather..They have the game in New York...City, about 575 miles from me..
Tailgate Joe will be there!!!

Okay, didn't realize you were that far from the game. I'm curious to see the reaction after it's all said and done. From what I've read the tailgating restrictions are pretty tight. I'm down here in Louisiana and I'm not sure if our media is making a bigger deal than what it really is but all last week and this week the "news" has been how the secondary market is way down compared to previous SB's.

Whenever anyone asks me to cook for them, they always want the comp treatment and rave about it so everyone must not think comp meat is way too sweet. Also, when I cook at home it generally is to practice a new comp recipe so I can say I don't mind the sweetness.
This is my experience too. All the BBQ I've turned out lately has been comp practice, and nobody is complaining. Even the native Texans. Around here you get salt, pepper, onion, and garlic with maybe a little cayenne. Very savory and a little spicy. I think my KC-style Q is refreshing to most of my friends who have never had comp-style Q before.

Okay, didn't realize you were that far from the game. I'm curious to see the reaction after it's all said and done. From what I've read the tailgating restrictions are pretty tight. I'm down here in Louisiana and I'm not sure if our media is making a bigger deal than what it really is but all last week and this week the "news" has been how the secondary market is way down compared to previous SB's.

I'm about 2 hours from the game and you won't catch me anywhere near the place. NO TAILGATING on stadium grounds, extremely limited parking (at $150 per spot no less), and just an all around pain in the ass to attend...not to mention CANNED beer will go for between $12-$15 PER 12 OZ CAN. New Jersey is getting our first...and most likely LAST...chance at hosting this game.

I'll be sitting on my warm couch cooking a sh*t load of BBQ with friends and drinking beer that won't cost me my first born.... :mrgreen::mrgreen:

From NJ.com.... http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index...._2_parking_pass_to_the_super_bowl_pricey.html
"....There will be no drop-off spots for the Super Bowl and people won’t be able to walk to the game, Kelly said. To get onto the Meadowlands complex, vehicles will need a parking pass, and limousines and buses will also need to stay on the premises during the game, he said.
Along with that $150 parking spot will be stringent rules and tailgate restrictions unrecognizable to Jets and Giants fans during regular-season games.
"You’ll be allowed to have food in your car and have drink in your car, and provided that you are within the boundaries of a single parking space, you’ll be able to eat or drink right next to your car," Kelly said. "However, you’re not going to be able to take out a lounge chair and you’re not going to be able to have a grill and you’re not going to be able to take up more than one parking space. And it will all be watched very carefully..." In other words....fun, fun, fun.....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I'm about 2 hours from the game and you won't catch me anywhere near the place. NO TAILGATING on stadium grounds, extremely limited parking (at $150 per spot no less), and just an all around pain in the ass to attend...not to mention CANNED beer will go for between $12-$15 PER 12 OZ CAN. New Jersey is getting our first...and most likely LAST...chance at hosting this game.

I'll be sitting on my warm couch cooking a sh*t load of BBQ with friends and drinking beer that won't cost me my first born.... :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Yeah, I don't blame you. We'll be cooking up some ribs and pork butts and watching it down here in Louisiana.

Hey you started a thread where you said a cooking style leads to meat where you can't taste much of the meat because of all the sweet. Then people said it is possible to balance it out and the end product actually doesn't have to be sweet, but it just adds a layer of flavor. You weren't having any of it or open to those ideas at all. From visually seeing you said you made your final decision without tasting. So you are judging by the initial knee jerk reaction of what you saw on tv. Not the best way to go about things.

So my only guess for starting the thread was to start an argument for your entertainment vs having an open mind to the other posters. Your mind was made up the second the thread was posted. Not sure where else you wanted this to go other than where it is right now. Glad you are still taking the "perceived" high road here. Keep that mind open :loco:.

I'm finished arguing over jerking knees, scot being free and walking on a high road. The most important thing is there's no need to make enemies or be jackarses on a board that's intended to be a community of brethren and fun. If I came across the wrong way I apologize and ask your forgiveness. I seriously didn't intend to. Nor was my post intended to be an argument or to cast a negative light on one method compared to another. I stand by my original opinion on what I saw but it's not that big of a deal. The first time my opinion counts regarding bbq will be the first.

I was watching the travel channel this weekend and they had a tour of some bbq regions by state and one was Tennessee and the Memphis in May BBQ event. Almost every shot shown of teams preparing ribs absolutely caked on brown sugar, honey, butter or all of the above.

I looked at that and knew without having to taste it. There's NO WAY I could eat those ribs. I understand the "judges only getting one bite" thought process and I agree. But as a general spectator there's no way someone could actually taste much of the meat on many of the ribs I saw. I guess that is the difference in competition ribs and backyard ribs.

90 posts over one person opinion. Impressive.

Last edited:
I was watching the travel channel this weekend and they had a tour of some bbq regions by state and one was Tennessee and the Memphis in May BBQ event. Almost every shot shown of teams preparing ribs absolutely caked on brown sugar, honey, butter or all of the above.

I looked at that and knew without having to taste it. There's NO WAY I could eat those ribs. I understand the "judges only getting one bite" thought process and I agree. But as a general spectator there's no way someone could actually taste much of the meat on many of the ribs I saw. I guess that is the difference in competition ribs and backyard ribs.

I will speak to Memphis in May as we have been cooking it for a very long time. You have 2 different judgings. Blind and onsite. You need beaucoup flavor and perfection in the blind ribs as those go up against each other on the blind table. Unlike KCBS, MIM entries are judged against one another instead of on their own merit.. There is only 1 best rib on the table. These judges also only get a rib or two apiece.

Onsite judges (3 of them) come in 20 min increments. You have 10-15 minutes to present them a picture of your entire process. You present these judges an entire rack of ribs. Many eat the whole dang thing. Many teams will kick up the flavor on the blinds and then cook their "normal" ribs for onsite.

fnbish - Agreed that bold is a better word than sweet, but it still holds more to the one bite satisfaction factor than a more balanced approach.

Hawg Father of Seoul - You know I don't claim to be an expert on comp cooking. I was simply referencing some of the comments made earlier to "get over it and cook whet they want."

Rusty Kettle - Totally agree. That was exactly my point. Until more people are willing to go against the grain, comp cooking simply becomes a technical competition and not about the food.

Yeah there was an article in the Bull Sheet a few months back with a similar tone. I get what you mean. My only point in my first post was to each their own and second post was if it bothers you do something about it and compete. This is the second brethren brawl I have walked into recently. First was about my interest in a pit barrel cooker and this one but this one felt like it was turning nasty. Now everyone step back and make peace we are brothers in smoke after all no need for a brawl. We need to stop brawling over little details if you want to make candy meat go ahead you don't then don't. This is the type of argument that ruins the fun in all hobby related message boards. I have dropped hobbies altogether because of petty bull on message boards as it gets old. Now drop it because it's a personal preference in how you want to cook. I like bbq to much to just drop it. Shake hands now. Besides we should really be fighting vegetarians now that's wrong.:mrgreen:

I will speak to Memphis in May as we have been cooking it for a very long time. You have 2 different judgings. Blind and onsite. You need beaucoup flavor and perfection in the blind ribs as those go up against each other on the blind table. Unlike KCBS, MIM entries are judged against one another instead of on their own merit.. There is only 1 best rib on the table. These judges also only get a rib or two apiece.

Onsite judges (3 of them) come in 20 min increments. You have 10-15 minutes to present them a picture of your entire process. You present these judges an entire rack of ribs. Many eat the whole dang thing. Many teams will kick up the flavor on the blinds and then cook their "normal" ribs for onsite.

Would love to be able to schedule MIM. Hopefully some day.

How would you characterize the "normal" ribs and how are they different them from the ribs turned in for blind judging? Sweeter, less sweet, more sauce, sauce on side, etc?

Yeah there was an article in the Bull Sheet a few months back with a similar tone. I get what you mean. My only point in my first post was to each their own and second post was if it bothers you do something about it and compete. This is the second brethren brawl I have walked into recently. First was about my interest in a pit barrel cooker and this one but this one felt like it was turning nasty. Now everyone step back and make peace we are brothers in smoke after all no need for a brawl. We need to stop brawling over little details if you want to make candy meat go ahead you don't then don't. This is the type of argument that ruins the fun in all hobby related message boards. I have dropped hobbies altogether because of petty bull on message boards as it gets old. Now drop it because it's a personal preference in how you want to cook. I like bbq to much to just drop it. Shake hands now. Besides we should really be fighting vegetarians now that's wrong.:mrgreen:

I's has put down my immaturity and offered peace. Agreed on the vegetarians. They is duh debil. :twisted:

Don't give up, walk away or quit the good fight. Buy the Pit Barrel Cooker. :bow:

Here's the reality of it- BBQ teams are scored, giving them the ability to tweak their recipes and methods until they're turning out a somewhat consistent product that will score the most points. Teams that compete a lot are going to have an even greater advantage because they can start throwing out higher and lower scores, because those could be flukes, focus on the exact method on the top third of their entries, and further tweak their product for the highest placement. I suspect that the top-scoring teams keep pretty exact notes when they're entering contests. If I had that kind of money and time dedicated to competition BBQ, I'd want to know exactly what we did differently to score higher or lower, and I'd want to be able to throw my hands in the air and say I don't know why we got X this time instead of Y.

If sweet BBQ brings the highest scores, it's not the recipe or the cook, it's the judges. That's what wins. Trying to change hearts and minds with competition entries seems foolish when money is on the line.

Would love to be able to schedule MIM. Hopefully some day.

How would you characterize the "normal" ribs and how are they different them from the ribs turned in for blind judging? Sweeter, less sweet, more sauce, sauce on side, etc?

Ours are the same for both. Before we threw our hat in the ring 10 yrs ago I cooked with a few other teams. They would have a kicked up finish rub and a concentrated glaze for the blind.

Our ribs are sweet, but not candy. They have a bit of a burn on the front and back end. We glaze not sauce.

As far as attending MIM
Like we have said before, all Brethren are able to join or hang with our team for MIM. There is a thread in the comp forum if you are interested.

Back