Impressive expert Tricks

H

HellGrill

What are the most impressive tricks on grilling a steak or a rack that distinguish a bbq master from a bbq rookie?

Well, my first girlfriend had a great rack. Oh wait, you are talking about cooking. I think, a good combo of rub and correct doneness will determine the skill of the cook.

you can work on the "grill Marks" to add syle, but cooking and seasoning right will win out over grill marks.

In my case I don't have to rub or marinade anything because they like simple and natural meat so I will try to impress them with some marks and with cooking.

For steak make sure the grill is hot enough - seer them, don't bake them.
For ribs... low and slow.. get your favorite rub on them and take your time.

22800752.jpg

My list of tips starting from the most important would be:

1. Selecting quality beef
2. Not over-seasoning
3. Having a fire that YOU feel comfortable cooking over
4. Resting the meat before serving
5. Being able to cook to the doness that each person likes
6. Great side dishes to go with it
7. Having nice grill marks​

UltimateThrowdownA.jpg

And for a rack.....​

1. Using non-enhanced pork
2. Understanding the differences between loin back and belly ribs, and selecting the appropriate ones for a particular cook.
3. Using a complementary seasonings or rub(s)
4. Using an indirect set-up with pit temps that have produced the finished quality (tenderness, moistness and texture) you are after
5. Understanding the benefits of using a foil step, then deciding if that is for you.
6. Cooking with your guests in mind. (they may want fall-off-the-bone, or sweet & saucy ribs or Memphis dry ribs....so learn how to cook all types)​

Thirdeye basically knocked it out of the park on the first pitch.

I would say quality meats and temperature control is key. The more you stick around this place you will pick up tips on how to bbq/grill.

More complicated doesn't always mean more better (i know that's improper grammar)

Regarding a steak. Buy the best quality your budget allows. Don't grill an ice cold steak. Take the chill off the steak while your grill heats up.

Final tip: practice.

i like to twirl my tongs. it's pretty impressive until i drop them and then run off to the kitchen to wash. :icon_blush:

seriously, i'd say the two best tips are to use a good meat thermometer and learn how use it properly and two, try to learn a bit about the meat your are trying to cook. i'm an information junkie, so i research websites like wikipedia and this one to learn as much as i can. knowledge is power and it also makes great food! :biggrin:

I agree with Rick and Wayne completely and the one thing I would stress, is learning temp control. It supports all of the other things said, if temps are all over the place it will ruin or take away from all the other things stated. Especially for newbs, its the hardest thing to understand and the hardest to figure out.

If I have to grill a beef rack what temperature and which grilling method on my Weber Genesis would you suggest me in order to get a crunchy surface?

One of the best steaks I've ever had, a thick porterhouse, was cooked over a thick bed of mesquite coals. So I would say temp, heat source and flavor, and cut of meat.

A good cook requires no "TRICKS."
Maybe that is why I have been reading this thread with such anticipation, the rest of us do... Sorry, this coming after three bad cooks in a row. I almost cried at dinner last night.

Back