MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Default Cooking for the troops - Fort Bragg (mega post)

BRETHREN FIELD REPORT – FAYETTEVILLE, NC

Arrived @ 8:00 pm in Fayetteville, NC Wednesday night... and drove to the cooking site to get familiar with the directions a day early... (don't you just hate it when trying to arrive on time only to be late due to fuzzy directions). Just after I figured out the lay of the land... the sky opened up. Not rain... I mean mad, angry and painful rain... buckets of it. Pulled into a gas station... hoped to gain some refuge under its canopy... no luck... was drenched just trying to fill the tank... just got too wet to top off... had to wait for another time.

Drove around town looking for a motel to lay my weary head. Plugged in the GPS to see any nearby motels. The place was loaded of them... a byproduct being a military town of sorts... and was shocked the vast majority of them was already sold out. It took me hours... yes, hours trying to find a place under $80 that would have enough space for my trailer and truck. Some of these places looked pretty seedy and uncomfortable... like it would be a place where cockroaches would get mugged... no thanks. Finally found an affordable, somewhat safe location around midnight.

The day of set-up and prep... the weather forecast predicted those three little “h's”... hot, humid, and hazy... was already pumping out the humidity at 11:00 am... anticipating one of those 100+ degree days and scattered evening thunderstorms. Stopped at another gas station and started to sweat just filling up all the gas tanks (generator, truck, and refill gas can) and headed towards one of those Brethren watering holes... HOOTERS! (and her name was Brittany).

Delivery Service
How did those new Bubba Kegs get on there? Oh yea... I remember... before heading south from PA to NC, checked around a few Home Depots along the I-95 corridor if there was any Kegs left from the earlier clearances on the Bubba Keg Grills. Well.. found three at one store... and knew a few Brethren Brothers were still looking for their own Kegs... and asked them we could do each other a favor... if they still wanted their own Bubba Keg... I would pick one up for them and secondly... if I could use the new Kegs for the military BBQ benefit in Ft. Bragg. The answer was yes on both counts. Thanks goes out to Brothers Boshizzle and Goddahavit for lending their new equipment for a great cause.

At the site... (3) large BGE, (3) Bubba Kegs, and one Lang smoker.

How did I survive the commonly Southern Hot Summer day on-site?? Its not pretty... but it works!!!
(2" X 4' X 8' insulation foam board + $200 a/c unit)

The meats – Boston butts and brisket.
[If I didn't mention it before... Pete Benac (Celtic Wolf) and his son ran the show... I just lent them the use of my gear while mending my pits and temps thru the night. They had Guru's.]

Here's where the difference lies... 3 Bubba kegs and 3 large BGE. The kegs each held (3) butts on the main grate and one brisket flat on the upper stainless grate... whereas the BGE each held (6) butts... 3 on each stacker level. The Lang 48 had its personal best expanded... holding (5) brisket packers and (5) brisket flats... over 140 lbs on the smallest smoker Lang makes. It looked like a meat carpet... wall to wall with brisket.

Bucket list
As a member of the forum... not many folks know... had a stroke over forty years ago that prohibited me from pursuing any military opportunities. Personally it was a personal and internal quest... to serve those who have served in my place and our country. As the food was being served... was cleaning up the after-effects and the smokers. At this point in my life, it was definitely one of the most satisfying moment that tied up that loose end. As I was cleaning up... I was asked by the event co-coordinator, to be present as the Commanding General at Fort Bragg was going to give a few announcements as the event was nearing an end. He called up the members of the American Spirit BBQ and myself... as a sign of thanks for supporting the troops... and have given each of us one of his own military coins. It took a bit of effort from not tearing up... a three star Commanding General of Fort Bragg... in front of over 1,000 people … palming his own coin into my hand as a firm handshake was the concluding result. And here I thought just minutes earlier it couldn't get any better.

Homeward bound
The plan was to drop off the Bubba Kegs on the way home... however had a few delays... specifically two separate incidents (2 different tires) with the trailer tires. One... developed a slow leak. An hour later, patched. Six hours later... had a complete wheel separation from the trailer.. thank god I had a dual axle rig.... maintaining control pulling over. Can't imagine the amount of damage if pulling a single axle and all hell broke loose.

It was mind-flashes of WTF, then an OMG, then an adrenaline pumping WTH looking where the tire should have been... a brake drum with sheered off lugs. Walked back a half mile and found the loose wheel still intact. Still can't believe the wheel wandered across three lanes of traffic without causing any ricochet-causing collateral damage with nearby vehicles. Still counting my blessings 24 hours later... and to top off was less from an hour from Boshizzle's place... the destination of one of the kegs. He was my hero helping to call parts houses and service stations looking for replacement studs and lugs while I pulled off the highway, jacked up the trailer, and removed the drum. Five hours later... back on the road.

(4 of 5 useless lugs)

Got the second Keg to Goddahavit... then made it home even though was 6 hours overdue.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 08-01-2010 at 03:18 PM..
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cripes what a bad end to an otherwise great adventure. And getting that coin is something to never forget.

Can I have Brittany's number?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
fweck
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks BBQ Bandit!!!
Stovetop, Camerons Gourmet Mini Smoker.
Future UDS Owner (slow build mod)
Smokin' Fast, Splashproof, Blue Thermapen

Airborne! God Bless our Troops! :amen:
KCBS CBJ
Member of the Zero's Club
CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns
fweck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Thank You Bandit!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Celtic Wolf
Got Wood.

Thank you Bandit. Without your help I would not have been able to pull off two troop cooks in one day.

You forgot to tell them about the equally as angry rain the night of the cook..
First have courage.. With principles comes integrity!!!
Celtic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Thank you Bob for supporting our troops with all your hard work!
Enjoy those military coins for all your hard work. That is a special honor for sure.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
gtsum
Babbling Farker

wow...quite the adventure I would say. Glad to hear you made it home safely, even with the issues. How does the little Lang cook? That think looked jam packed!
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
smoken don
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you sir! Great job.
uds and proud of it
Never confuse kindness for weakness
smoken don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

My hat is off to you good sir. Be proud of your self.
And thank you for the good deed.
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

^^^^what they said thank you

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Great story, thank you for sharing your adventure with us!!

Glad you made it home safe too!!

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
igolf2
is one Smokin' Farker

Bless you sir - I'm sure our sons and daughters in harms way appreciate your efforts also.
Turkey Fryer / Clam Steamer
UDS
Moink Certified!
igolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

It was great to meet you, and im so glad you made it home safe.

Eric

P.S thanks for the keg, cant wait to try her out.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #14
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Blessings for your efforts, and thank you for sharing a wonderful story.
I am sure the men and women you cooked for enjoyed your food and time!
Sounds like the general did too!
Glad you found the tire and no one was hurt!
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Cheers for a job well done.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bge, brisket, bubba keg, Fort Bragg, lang, troops