MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #91
NCBackyardSmoker
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

ok, maybe off topic, but i have been doing these shoulders for several years now and am finally going to buy or build a smoker.

Opinions please: which is a better smoker for the weekender, Gas or electric?
NCBackyardSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #92
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBackyardSmoker View Post
ok, maybe off topic, but i have been doing these shoulders for several years now and am finally going to buy or build a smoker.

Opinions please: which is a better smoker for the weekender, Gas or electric?
You will get a better response if you post this in Q-Talk.
As far as your question goes, I would think gas. Have you thought about wood, charcoal or pellets as a fuel source ?

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #93
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Agreed, better in Qtalk. I couldn't resist this question even though I have no time to be here.

My two cents -- forget gas and electric. Best smokers for weekenders are a UDS, kettle or Weber Smokey Mountain that run on charcoal. Craigslist seems to be a good place to find second hand smokers at good prices if budget is the first concern. Experience has taught me cheap offset smokers (COS) are more trouble than they're worth, even if you got it for free.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #94
Mosca
Found some matches.

I know this is an old topic, even if it is pinned, and I'm a new guy without much history. But here goes:

The food doesn't know how it was cooked; it either tastes good, or it doesn't. Everything else is posturing.

Which isn't to say that your equipment and techniques are worthless, if you are producing good food. But it does mean that if someone puts a plate of ribs in front of you, and they are spectacular, it doesn't matter if they were smoked, boiled, or lutefisked.

That's it!
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2016, 06:53 AM   #95
BBQFiend
Got Wood.

In NC people are really snobby about bbq. The western part of the state has a thicker sauce style then the vinegar based bbq sauce. The sauce is what half the people argue over and the other half debate on the proper way to cook the meat. Some say charcoal is best while others swear by cooking with wood. I'm partial to the bbq cooked with hickory wood myself.

I don't make too much of a big deal about it if I'm hungry I can pretty much eat any kind of que.
BBQFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2016, 04:55 PM   #96
jonjh
Found some matches.

I am new here but I say who ever is cooking is the best. A lot of lifes problems have been solved sitting around a grill. It's time together held captive by watching something cook into something better. Breaking bread together is biblical. Many friendships have been enhanced by a little love, laughter and some good food.
jonjh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #97
TXBronco
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Deaver

I have actually avoided the 'smoking scene' in my area due to running into snobby windbags, just like our local 'beer scene'. I judged the group by the few, my serious mistake. I have met really down to earth bbqers here as of late. This site seems to be filled with the good ones. Glad I finally found my way on the path.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #98
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I'm an admitted barbecue snob, but only because everything I do is better than yours. ;)

It doesn't mean I won't try other methods and thoroughly enjoy the work of others.
medic92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #99
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I look down my nose at snobs!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2016, 04:08 PM   #100
Schneidogg
Found some matches.

Great thoughts about perspective. Sometimes I (and others) can get so bogged down in the electronic world of communication we forget basic values in life and how precious is the present. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:43 PM   #101
Montgolfier
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Well said and well done, sir

Old 11-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #102
TexasSmoke1977

Food for thought.
TexasSmoke1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #103
slugdog
Got rid of the matchlight.

I flat love my Masterbuilt 30" digital electric smoker. For a 8-10 hour piece of meat it takes all the labor intensive work out of it. Like that old commercial, set it & forget it...

Old 11-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #104
elk815

As I go through life I've seen good and bad in people. Large egos usually turn people into things they shouldn't be.
elk815 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #105
Bucknasty

My first post on BBQ Brethren. I am very new to real BBQ but fell in love with it while talking with a friend. He is a member and encouraged me to become a member here. He speaks so highly of this group, and from reading this, I see why.

It's more than cooking.....
Bucknasty is offline   Reply With Quote