MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #46
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Sounds like you have a good plan and it is also a good way to honor your Dad
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #47
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

LD,

In the last 6-7 years I have had incidents that caused me to reexamine how I look at life. All through my 30's I thought I was 25 and bulletproof. There was always tomorrow.

Now in my early 40's, I have come to realize that life really is too short. The subject of the original post was early 50's when he passed last year. I had another friend who was 42. He was a huge runner and very fit. He went for a jog after work and died from a massive heart attack. Yet another friend (43), also very fit, was recently diagnosed with colon cancer.

I am determined to live my life and enjoy every minute I can with family and friends. Barbeque is just one of the ways I do it.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Your original post really moved me and help me further articulate something I'd already seen and felt. It came at a time for me when my father was beginning his decline as cancer was sucking his life away.

I used to write a lot about his idea of BBQ vs. mine. We were complete BBQ opposites. And yet, the time spent behind the grill with him to this day is some of the best time in my life. I cherish every memory.

We lost him last July. I would love to tell you that cancer took him mercifully fast; it didn't. It was slow, and aweful.

I haven't cooked BBQ since his passing, but the old Lang is looking mighty pitiful sitting there unused. I think it's time I made a few more friends, and rekindled a few old friendships.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #48
PigTamer
Full Fledged Farker

Everything has been very well said. I can't believe I haven't seen this post till now. I have always loved to cook,but didn't get into comp until I was encouraged by my mom 3 yrs ago... 1 yr before I watched that wretched thing called cancer take her. She built my fist box....this post makes me tear up and smile at the same time. Thank you for bringing this post up again.
PigTamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #49
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

Q is a way to relax with friends . Good or bad
smoky joe
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #50
wladrules
Full Fledged Farker

Many powerful posts in this thread. Prayers and best wishes for all who have lost loved ones. Maybe doing a bbq in memory of someone that has passed would be therapeutic.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #51
bshell7
Knows what a fatty is.

My dad taught me how to grill. I cooked my first comp with my dad in 2010. He had no idea what he was doing but loved the people, helping me do something we liked together and the fun competition. We didn't do worth a crap but had a blast. One experienced team told us our stuff was good and that made the day. He passed away in 2012 and I wish he could share in the fun again.

Your "to-do" list may not be done but go find some time to hug the wife, play with the kids or grandkids and call a friend...just because.
Large BGE
DCS 36in gasser
Thermapen Camo
Fire Pit BBQ Team
bshell7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #52
MattQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I hear ya!

I think a lot of arguing about BBQ is lighthearted smack talk, but it can get silly. If it tastes good, I'll eat it - I don't care how it got there!

I think food is only a part of BBQ. The gathering of friends and loved ones, as well as making new friends, is a huge part of the deal IMO.
Nicely put.
MattQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #53
Dreggs
Full Fledged Farker

Dreggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2014, 12:31 AM   #54
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I lived in Texas for 27 years and me and my family (well only mom and sister) moved to Southern California because we were having very hard times. Both my grandparents lived here and we didn't know how badly they were. My grandmother had lung cancer, COPD amongst other things. Well on March 12th my grandfather died of lung cancer and on Thanksgiving Day my grandmother died. When I first got here I quit smoking and haven't smoked at all for 2.5 years because seeing them helpless to what was happening changed me. Made me realize life is short and what you do now not only effects you but it effects everyone in your life. Live life to the fullest because you only have 1.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #55
Packmanjim
Full Fledged Farker

My wife asked me why I spend so much money having my friends over and cooking BBQ for them. This post explains why. Thanks for keeping it real.
Smokey Joe mini
Smokin Cajun Gasser
Packmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #56
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Damn, I havn't seen my daughter and grandson for a while. I gotta get them over here.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #57
shypes
Knows what a fatty is.

My brother helped me put together my first UDS a while back. A few days after it was completed, I got a package from him in the mail. It was a bottle opener for me to attach to the side. He knows me too well. If I'm smokin, chances are that I'm drinking a beer. If I'm drinking a beer, I'm probably with people I care about. I'm brand new to the Brethren and this is the first thread I've read and it seems I picked a good one. Raising my cold yellow beer to you now!
shypes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #58
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
=shypes;2858543]My brother helped me put together my first UDS a while back. A few days after it was completed, I got a package from him in the mail. It was a bottle opener for me to attach to the side. He knows me too well. If I'm smokin, chances are that I'm drinking a beer. If I'm drinking a beer, I'm probably with people I care about. I'm brand new to the Brethren and this is the first thread I've read and it seems I picked a good one. Raising my cold yellow beer to you now!
Welcome. This is a great place and its good to have u.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #59
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

I appreciate this thread. My 46YO brother just passed away Jan 29th from colon cancer. He battled for 3 years. The cancer had spread to his lungs and liver. Life is very short. His passing has prompted a lot of thought about priorities and the importance of friends and family. LOL I have a brother who lives in Alaska. He has always wanted to ride his Harley from Alaska to Va. He sold his older bike and just purchased a new one. Took the entire month of August off from work and will be marking this off his "bucket list". We never know what tomorrow holds for us.

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #60
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

My heart goes out to all of you who have lost family and friends.

Kind of been avoiding this thread, it brings back a flood of memories.

Last year I made my first and only thread in the "Discussion and Reflection" section of the Brethren when a dear friend shot himself.
His death sent me over the edge.
Having lost one friend to cancer, one to hanging, my ex-husband, my best friend (Christmas, new years, hanging out, fishing buddy), a sibling---that I still can't talk about, (helped me get through when my parents died).....all of these in a year.
His suicide just blew me away.
Not sure that I've ever felt so lost before.

It was the Brethren who helped me deal with the loss. It was my friends at the Brethren who convinced me to keep cooking when I didn't even have the will to eat.
I can't thank my Brethren friends enough. There are some amazing people here.

Like Greg said. There's more to BBQ than just food. Friends and family, whether they are online or sittin' at your kitchen table, are the most important.

Recently someone said they weren't going to look at my posts anymore because it made them feel "jealous". To me, that's not what BBQ or this forum is about. It's about offering a chair to a friend to "pull up" to your table and share what you've cooked. I do that with my close friends at home and feel the same about my online Brethren friends.
I thought about my posts and wondered what I am doing wrong. Will just keep posting til I figure it out. Life's too short....

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like Bigbutts View Post
I have had so much wonderful, freely given advice and opine on this board...BBQ Bandit, QTR, Boshizzle, Cowgirl and others....I have never met these good people but I do consider them friends... through que. Don't know of another board with such nice, helpful people.....JMHO....good folks make you feel good just being around them.....
Thank you!! I consider you to be a great friend too.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote