MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Love it and thanks for posting.

I want to post this on other forums where it's all gotten out of hand and all but a few actually know what BBQ actually means.

I this right here should the header of most competition entry forms....

Quote:
I think food is only a part of BBQ. The gathering of friends and loved ones, as well as making new friends, is a huge part of the deal IMO.

- GTR

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Totally agree.

I don't consider what I cook the best of anything but I have been getting better and sometimes when I'm going to a friends place that doesn't do smoked bbq and they are cooking out or they even say bbq'ing they will say "i know it won't be like yours or as good as yours.....something something". And I always say what the hell does that matter people cook different stuff, it will still be great so let's grab some beers and hang out. Doesn't matter to me. Crock pot pulled pork, grilled ribs, brisket in the oven (that was made kind of italian style and was pretty awesome), etc....it is all fine with me.

A lot of the bbq snob stuff is tongue in cheek though. At least I hope no one turns down a friends meal or someone who is just trying to be nice and uses the term "BBQ/Barbecue" but has no idea what the term "BBQ/Barbecue" means to many of us. I don't.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Holy monkey junk that is funny!!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #19
Dr_KY

I remember the phase where people would all bang the drum about how taboo gassers were not so long ago but then started using them after they realized there is more to the love of all things food than they originally thought.

Just share the love , our time on this rock is all too short sometimes.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #20
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyLeg View Post
I'm no competitor so for me BBQ is all about cooking for friends and family, and if I'm lucky I made some good Q, but it's the process for me that I enjoy. The good food is a bonus. There's nothing better than someone complimenting my Q though!

this pretty much nails it for me. i have always love good Q. ( hell for you folks in the south you would probably say i have loved bad Q ). i never took the time to learn the hows and whys until a few years ago i started having chest pains. ( at the age of 35 ) i had been a steady smoker since i was about 14/15 and i had unsuccessfully tried quitting many times. this time i decided i needed a distraction and Q is it.

i originally thought that competition would be a goal, but i the more i thought about it the more it didnt make sense. i quit smoking to be able to spend more time on earth with my loved ones, and if i got into competition cooking it would likely cause me to spend less time with them. ( i am pretty OCD and uber competitive.) so yeah, i get my calls/walks/trophies everytime a friend or family asks me to cook for their party or just talks up my Q to somebody else.

i've lost several family members to pancreatic cancer, there is nothing that you can really say except its fast. my mother in law was less than 2 months from feeling healthy to her funeral. sorry to hear about your friend LD.

lifes a hell of a ride, make sure you get on.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
...I think food is only a part of BBQ. The gathering of friends and loved ones, as well as making new friends, is a huge part of the deal IMO.
New guy talking here so...

I 100% agree with you statement. I BBQ for the people who sit with me around a table or are in my yard for the friendship and fun... besides who can really eat 3 racks, a 9 lb butt, and a S**t ton of ABT all by themselves. It is the process of making it, the time invested and the fellowship involved that is making this an amazing experience.

I have a re-union this weekend. I told my wife I was going to do two butts, a chicken and some ABT's. She questioned me on why so much? No real reason, just because I can and I want to share with everyone. This is what I enjoy. I was tasked with bringing side dishes... I think some pulled pork, ABT's and chicken are great side dishes to hotdogs and hamburgers... IMHO.
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #22
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

+1 on what all are saying above. I've seen people here post that they won't go to family gatherings because the bbq didn't meet thier requirements to be considered BBQ. Aw come on, it's a social gathering for family to get together and have a good time. One bad rib from uncle Fred wouldn't kill you!

Last thanksgiving there was a guy on another forum moaning big time about having to eat dry turkey at his In-laws. This went on for a page or two with everyone else chiming in until one member pointed out he was eating a MRE turkey dinner in a ditch in Afganastan for thanksgiving, and that he would love to have dry turkey with family.

Enjoy the company, don't critique the food!

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #23
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Great Post Lake Dog. Thanks!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #24
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I think this thread is spot on in so many ways!

Having grown up in the south during what I call my "formative years"(NC specifically, ages 9 to 1 you are taught from a very young age that the 'que of that region is the best compared to any where else...and I believed it. That is, until I joined the service and traveled not just this country, but many others. I soon realized that there is good 'que every where. It's called many different things, but it really means the same thing. Good food (and good beer) among good friends, and even family!!!

It's the journey, not necessarily the destination!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Last edited by CarolinaQue; 07-18-2012 at 09:23 AM..
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #25
bbqlearner
Full Fledged Farker

+1 to everyone's post. Can I now "safely" say that I plan to make a brisket point and cook it in my chili? Just kidding

Old 07-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I agree ..................
Big Bears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #27
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

I soon realized that there is good 'que every where. It's called many different things, but it really means the same thing. Good food (and good beer) among good friends, and even family!!!

And as most know in the south life dosen't start in the spring.....it breathes it's first breath in the fall, and I'm counting the days till friends come over for the first fball games....I'll write more on this later, but I totally agree with the above quote......JMHO

Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #28
tish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
+1 on what all are saying above. I've seen people here post that they won't go to family gatherings because the bbq didn't meet thier requirements to be considered BBQ. Aw come on, it's a social gathering for family to get together and have a good time. One bad rib from uncle Fred wouldn't kill you!

Last thanksgiving there was a guy on another forum moaning big time about having to eat dry turkey at his In-laws. This went on for a page or two with everyone else chiming in until one member pointed out he was eating a MRE turkey dinner in a ditch in Afganastan for thanksgiving, and that he would love to have dry turkey with family.

Enjoy the company, don't critique the food!

Chris
Count your blessings, brethren.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #29
Skidder
Babbling Farker

This one of those threads that could get really big. A lot of discussion that hits close to home. A thread that really makes you think and that most here can add to. Thanks again. I think the bbq part of what we do is the least important part of what we do here.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #30
bbqhobby
Got rid of the matchlight.

I'm relatively new to BBQ and recently joined the Forum. In my limited time with the Forum, I have learned a great deal and enjoyed a few chuckles. Even though I have been only BBQing\Smoking over the past two years, I have become very passionate about the "art" of BBQ. Living in Maine, BBQ is a bit of an anomaly. Most folks up here think BBQ is cooking on a gas grill smothered in BBQ sauce -that's not criticism, it's just a matter of truth.

When I serve up real smoked BBQ for my friends and family, their pleasure can be seen all over their face and fingers. Although I really enjoy the BBQ cooking process, the joy I bring to others through BBQ is priceless. To me, that's the true joy of BBQ.
bbqhobby is offline   Reply With Quote