What was your most recent fail?

qnbiker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Here's mine. I was cooking some beef short ribs on the Daniel Boone and they were almost ready to take off. I figured I would give them a few extra minutes while I finalized the rest of the meal, but then I walked into the family room where my wife was watching one of our favorite movies. I sat down and watched the rest of the movie, then thought, "Oh no, the ribs!"

Turned out my wife liked them. They were like tender, tasty beef jerky on a bone. Not what I was looking for and not my finest moment.

Summer before last I was grilling some chicken thighs on the Weber. Cooking them indirect with a few pieces of wood for smoke. Everything going great, including my beer buzz. Went in the house and sat on the couch, looking for a game on TV. Next thing I know I'm waking up the next morning. The chicken looked like the charcoal I used to cook it. Thankfully it wasn't something expensive like a brisket or rib roast. Live and learn. :oops:

The worst thing ever...
I burnt some bacon on the grill...
Stepped inside for a beer and got distracted by my chatty wife...
Burnt bacon is a crime in Kansas...And it taste terrible...But I ate it anyway...

I set a butt out to thaw. Was only supposed to be for an hour and into the fridge. The next morning it was still on the counter.

This is the reason I set alarms on my phone when I cook. Phone goes off and I'm like "what?". Then I remember to check the meat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is the reason I set alarms on my phone when I cook. Phone goes off and I'm like "what?". Then I remember to check the meat.

Glad to read I'm not the only guy doing this!

My most recent fail was dropping a ziplock bag containing the wet brine I used for a turkey breast. Luckily it was outside on the patio but it was still a huge mess.

Smoked a leg from a wild hog that I had killed while hunting last December. Wasn't paying attention and cooked it too long. Came out tough. The taste was good but the meat was just way too tough. I ate some and gave what was left to the dog.

I still have a freezer full of meat from that sow, I'll have to thaw some more out soon and pay attention this time. :caked:

It was an attempt at humor, not a cook.

Internet humor is a tough gig.

Did a bunch of chicken in my kettle, loaded it up with charcoal and the normal amount of smoking wood I use for pork. So, yeah, it was rather oversmoked.

Worst tasting stuff I've ever cooked. Threw it away and made pasta that night. :roll:

LOL.... Well this isn't Q related.. But my last cooking fail was trying to make a Pasta bake.. I don't know how in the world someone can screw up a pasta bake.. but the sauce I made totally ruined the meal.. we ate half a plate and threw the rest out lol... not sure if it was the seasonings of the sauce.. or what.

Several Christmases ago we had the whole fam damily in town and coming to our house a few days before Christmas for an informal get togther. Like 16~20 people including some friends and neighbors.
Among other things, I had about 10 lbs of thighs going indirect on the Jenn Air gasser. I had just sauced them, ready to take them off, went inside to get the platter and got distracted between the kitchen and the patio.
Next thing I know someone is asking what's on fire. I look outside to see a ball of fire where the grill was.
Just like William, I had a grill full of charcoal. After a few choice words and possibly throwing a thing or two,(I used to have a short fuse), I got the fire out and went inside to a silent house.
After a few moments, my son in law asked me how long I cook the other side. :laugh:
After a good laugh, we ordered pizza.

I had the bright idea to clean my smoker grates in my oven on the "self clean" cycle, figuring if it could burn off oven stuff, it could burn off cooking grate stuff.
The amount of fat, etc on the grates caused them to catch fire for quite some time while dark smoke billowed out of my oven. And it was 30 degrees out, so opening the windows and doors caused the house to get extremely cold.
Took me 2+ hours to clean the oven.

Last Saturday. My smoker goes into storage once the snow flies. Well that was the first run and my daughter really wanted pork ribs when she was back from college. Absolutely the worst ones I have ever made. Temp was too low and instead of trying to bring it up faster I tried to run where it was at and extend the time. Well I ran out of time and not good. So tonight is chicken on the Weber. That I never mess up as I've been doing if for 25 years.:pray:

Seems a screaming hot Blackstone and a young lady the same caused this...

i-fWwhhWr-XL.jpg

Back