Do Fire Marshall's Inspect/Regulate Your Mobile Units?

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm curious if any of you in your state, county or city have regulations where your mobile concessions unit or food truck has to be inspected by a fire marshall? I have never heard of a mobile unit needing a fire inspection and my state and county do not regulate it either. I have been operating also under a city business license for 10 years and before the food truck boom and there as never been a problem. About 3 years ago another food truck tried to set up in the city and they stirred up a hornets nest and basically made regulations where they didn't want food trucks however I was grandfathered in and they can't touch me. That said, they are pushing me out by other means, their step one was increasing my annual business license 400%. When that didn't work they conveniently forgot to send me renewal notices I guess hoping I'd forget to renew. When that didn't work we went this morning to get our annual city business license and they are now telling me there is a new city ordinance that requires me getting the fire marshall to inspect and approve my trailer before I am issued a license and I am not exempt to this new ordinance. I was told that if I don't comply before my renewal is due that I'll never be able to get a mobile license in the city again. He's the skinny, I don't set up there but 2 to 3 days a year anymore and I just kept the license in case I do and it also allows people in the city to have a couple chances and year to come buy our barbecue without ordering catering for large groups. I'm not going to try and fight it, if they want me out they are just going to keep adding stuff every year until I've had enough. I do plan to let our city customers know why we won't be back and they have the voting power to change their city rules if they want us there and I'm curious if there are other places that regulate food trucks with fire marshalls because I've never heard of this.

I do some venues where it's become a thing at county and municipal level, remember you have legal rights as a business owner in good faith to comply with inspection issues if it doesn't meet new codes and these agencies that have domain over you aren't rocket scientists.

The 2 biggest issues we have had are covered area's over the smoker being off the table as well as some codes that align word for word to the NFPA 211 codes for clearances to combustibles and structures.

So the latter of those is a deal breaker for any type of trailer porch smoker installation and likewise a covered roof or awning scenario unless it meet's 211 regs for pass through fittings and insulated chimney etc.

My solution is a self contained open catering trailer such a large Shirley Fab etc with signage and barriers that keep everything 3 feet away with an umbrella to keep the sun off of you at the prep and serving stations.

Were not operating under annual license at those location's just event permitting fee's with on site inspection at set up but I can see how that would be a deal breaker if the fee's outweigh making a reasonable return.

Cook, I have not asked to see the ordinance however I did just call the fire marshal and I will say he was very nice and he told me that the state has actually had this on the books since 2012 but due to many factors localities are just starting to enforce it. After talking to him and he asked what propane I have in the trailer and it's only a steam table as I don't cook in the trailer. He said that all gas lines inside the trailer need to be hard pipe with no whip lines and all hard connections to the steam table along with no propane tanks inside and a 10lb abc fire extinguisher. He also said they would like to see a propane alarm but they are not pushing that issue. My current line is a whip line so I am updating that to be compliant with his inspection and all will be good. I did sort of kinda jump the gun by stating this was part of the efforts of the city to get the one food truck that is grandfather to cease operations however I do feel they would like that to happen based on some of the moves they've made in recent times. It's just this is the first time I've heard of anyone with a mobile food truck having to be cleared by a fire marshal in the 10 years I've been in business.

In North Alabama, we had to get Fire Marshall approval for every City and County we were licensed in.

Of course, every jurisdiction had different requirements, but most just wanted to see a fire extinguisher and it had to be a certain size.

We had to scuttle converting an RV into a food truck because one Fire Marshall insisted on a $10,000 fire suppression system. He conveniently provided a business card of who he "recommended" to do the work.

I do not know about food trucks but after 40 years in HVAC I do know about gas lines and fire marshals. In Louisiana they can shut down entire factories/schools/ hospitals/ whatever they want. Rule #1. Don't argue with them. Rule # 2. Don't pizz them off. You have to make friends big time and be fully compliant. Sounds like your making a good faith effort to do just that. They wield much power in this state. I also know that when they see you trying to comply they can also help you big time.

Best of luck in your Business and hope this helps.

Back